Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-27-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
I do as well. I just don't buy into the sky will fall if crossbows are allowed in the archery season.

Tag allocations can be adjusted to suit the number of users. As it is now archers are entitled to 15% of the allocation and then they can also hunt with a rifle or bow for a chance at the other 85% of the tag allocations. Pretty good gig for you and myself compared to the people who just rifle hunt.
That is their CHOICE not to pick up a bow....I haven’t hunted with a rifle for 4-5 years, been doing the bow only thing, even in “general season” when 99% are using rifles.

Have a disability, can’t physically draw back 40lbs...get a permit hunt with a crossbow, I have no issue with that never have.

LC
Old 03-27-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Have you checked out what the Wild sheep Foundation has to offer?
Personally I have issues with all of them and you are right you never will be happy with 100 % of them. From what I have seen in Alberta none of them have made this province better to hunt in. They may have done some things but this province is so upside down it is sickening and that is because nobody has any power to really change the Gov'ts desicions in anything.
Find me an organization to get rid of the majority of the Bios in this province and I will be shelling my money out! Find me an organization that fights Native Harvests and helps set up way for predator control that is effective I will support them. Other than that it is all fluff and our animal numbers will decrease and we all will cry and whine when it takes ten years for a moose tag.. Oh wait that is already happening lol
Too many groups pulling in every direction for me to choose one to support. If they all came together to get funds to actually do something we might actually have a province worth hunting in again!
I agree, it seems all groups want there own piece of the "pie" at the expense of others and personally, I find the ABA to be the worst and that is why I will never again support them.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
That is their CHOICE not to pick up a bow....I haven’t hunted with a rifle for 4-5 years, been doing the bow only thing, even in “general season” when 99% are using rifles.

Have a disability, can’t physically draw back 40lbs...get a permit hunt with a crossbow, I have no issue with that never have.

LC
Good, lobbying for change with the ABA?
Old 03-27-2018, 01:27 PM

Don't let them bait you in Kris, most that disagree are not going to change their mind, continue doing a great job with ABA!

I am also an ABA member as I am an avid hunter and enjoy hunting with my bow. For me, I enjoy putting my hard earned money into a lot of clubs that support hunting in Alberta. Do I agree with absolutely everything? No, but that is far far better time and money spent than complaining on the AO forum and expecting things to change for the better. Pay up, get involved and make your voice heard if you are so concerned about the state of hunting in Alberta.

One interesting aspect of the crossbow. Our local Fish and Game club had the area biologist join us one night. He was talking about the Calgary bowzone and due to difficulty getting access, were having trouble getting sufficient harvest to meet their goals.
I asked him about using a crossbow in the bowzone only, to increase harvest to meet their harvest goals. He responded saying that in their experience, crossbows will not increase harvest...
I certainly don't agree with him and not sure where his data came from. And by the way, even though I am an ABA member, I would love to see a crossbow option in the bowzone to meet harvest goals
Old 03-27-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Good, lobbying for change with the ABA?
That is already the current rule.

LC
Old 03-27-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
That is already the current rule.

LC
Try getting a permit just because one can't pull 40lbs.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Try getting a permit just because one can't pull 40lbs.
If it’s a legit physical disability or injury related... not to mention the motion to drop the minimum to 35lbs.

But you know...the ABA doesn’t help anyone or anything

How many AFGA members know they spoke out against spears? How many are no longer members because of it?

LC
Old 03-27-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
If it’s a legit physical disability or injury related... not to mention the motion to drop the minimum to 35lbs.

But you know...the ABA doesn’t help anyone or anything

How many AFGA members know they spoke out against spears? How many are no longer members because of it?

LC
We hear stories every year where people can't get a permit to use a crossbow. One almost needs to have one arm to get a permit.

I know one person spoke out against spear hunting with the AFGA (Wayne Lowry). I also know that the AFGA doesn't support the ban.

"GENERAL RESOLUTION NUMBER G-6-2017
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Alberta Fish and Game Association request that the Government of Alberta maintain the practice of legal spear and atlatl hunting in the Province of Alberta."

Does the ABA support spear hunting or do they support Brent Watson?

Last edited by dmcbride; 03-27-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
We hear stories every year where people can't get a permit to use a crossbow. One almost needs to have one arm to get a permit.

I know one person spoke out against spear hunting with the AFGA (Wayne Lowry). I also know that the AFGA doesn't support the ban.

"GENERAL RESOLUTION NUMBER G-6-2017
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Alberta Fish and Game Association request that the Government of Alberta maintain the practice of legal spear and atlatl hunting in the Province of Alberta."

Does the ABA support spear hunting or do they support Brent Watson?
Yes we do hear those stories, the ABA and AFGA have nothing to do with that.

Who is Wayne Lowry in the organization? I am sure he doesn’t speak for all members.

I have never personally voted anywhere for the ban or inclusion of spears, I do personally support minimum standards for anything used as a tool in hunting.

Lol, join up come to some meeting’s and find out for yourself

LC
Old 03-27-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Yes we do hear those stories, the ABA and AFGA have nothing to do with that.

Who is Wayne Lowry in the organization? I am sure he doesn’t speak for all members.

I have never personally voted anywhere for the ban or inclusion of spears, I do personally support minimum standards for anything used as a tool in hunting.

Lol, join up come to some meeting’s and find out for yourself

LC
Already was a member by default (Traditional Bowhunting Association ). I have since let that expire as I will not support any organization that takes from others.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:47 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
They aren’t “anti crossbow”. They just don’t feel crossbows belong in archery season which I agree with, I’m not anti crossbow either.

I don’t support fenced hunting, but I am not anti fenced hunting.

LC
Anti's I was referring to was the anti hunting.

Invite all forms of bow hunting to take place in harmony from traditional to compound to crossbows not the case with this group.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-27-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Now it's a "pie" .. that you guys are unwilling to share. .. and a rather choice pie it is. ! We get the crumbs. If that is anything other than pure, selfish BS I don't know what is.
Imagine what the traditional archers said when the first compound entered the archery seen, now the compound archers are saying the same thing....archery....harmony....all bows.

I hunted with a Hawkins then ran into a fella with a inline/scoped...was a little baffled at first but said hey its a muzzleloader and we all shared the pie. Not the case with the ABA.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Imagine what the traditional archers said when the first compound entered the archery seen, now the compound archers are saying the same thing....archery....harmony....all bows.

I hunted with a Hawkins then ran into a fella with a inline/scoped...was a little baffled at first but said hey its a muzzleloader and we all shared the pie. Not the case with the ABA.
LMAO...yah ok.

Spin it however you want crossbows do not meet the current definition of “archery” in Alberta. P&Y doesn’t recognize it...Archery Canada doesn’t recognize it... because it isn’t.

Funny how the part I mentioned about the ABA speaking up in support of cougar hunting was missed in all of this...the only organization who stands up for cougar and predator hunting I guess.

Sound ridiculous? Well it is but it’s exactly how you are stating what you are saying.

LC
Old 03-27-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
LMAO...yah ok.

Spin it however you want crossbows do not meet the current definition of “archery” in Alberta. P&Y doesn’t recognize it...Archery Canada doesn’t recognize it... because it isn’t.

Funny how the part I mentioned about the ABA speaking up in support of cougar hunting was missed in all of this...the only organization who stands up for cougar and predator hunting I guess.

Sound ridiculous? Well it is but it’s exactly how you are stating what you are saying.

LC
Definitions can be changed with a stroke of the pen...

The holder of the definition (govt of AB) may be influenced to make the necessary changes in the Wildlife Act to include a crossbow, of certain parameters, be included in the definition of authorized archery equipment. That's all it takes. The ABA is the leading force standing in the way of that change, it would be prudent to challenge the ABA with greater force.

This was/is the ABA's position and is listed as one of their achievements:

Quote:
Successful lobby to keep crossbows out of the general archery season (2011).
Like I said in an earlier post, I encourage those in favour of using a crossbow in the archery season to lobby the AFGA and/or the govt of AB in favour of crossbows.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:41 PM

Yup, there was a time when crossbows were considered restricted and you had to have an Endorsement on your FAC to have one.

I encourage those who like things with the archery only season maintained with current definitions to join SABA, ATBA or the ABA.

LC
Old 03-27-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
LMAO...yah ok.

LC
Current definition, as indicated by CNP can change with the stroke of a pen, as indicated in another post by another member...piece of the pie...the ABA is in their best interest of what they want who currently don't have the best interest of all involved with archery. It works in other provinces but not here so to the OP beware where you end up...this ones all an illusion...but some are easily persuaded just look at the beauty running our country right now....he to has a following.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:03 PM

Yup change the meaning of a word...after complaining long enough...sounds like Liberal policy to me.

LC
Old 03-27-2018, 05:11 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Yup change the meaning of a word...after complaining long enough...sounds like Liberal policy to me.

LC
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archery

All can change with the swipe of a pen....mightier than the sword.

I believe we danced this dance last year and maybe even the year before.

Hope the OP finds what he/she is looking for and best of luck In The field with whatever they choose to take thier game, fill thier freezer, enjoy the adventure and the journey.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:

LC
Bad move to bring politics into this...

Which political party is more prone to condemn/prohibit/restrict the use of firearms/weapons?

The loudest complaining comes from the Alberta Bow Hunters Association.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Bad move to bring politics into this...

Which political party is more prone to condemn/prohibit/restrict the use of firearms/weapons?

The loudest complaining comes from the Alberta Bow Hunters Association.
Look above...I didn’t bring it in, not first anyhow

LC
Old 03-27-2018, 06:36 PM

Long time member and 50+ year Trad Bowhunter. Those of you complaining get involved instead. ABA is the reason there is bowhunting anyway. I'm one of the directors and we ARE involved with other user groups who support us and we support them.

I'm dealing with some old age issues and physical problems myself right now but I can tell you that I will never use a crossbow. I'll have to shoot some meat with the rifle I guess after 20 yrs.

Oh and Phil, the Ram you killed last year is a direct result of ABA helping to create the zone for you to do so.

The main problem we have in this province is politicians in charge of something they no nothing about.

Want change, get involved. Come to some meetings and really see what we're about.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:40 PM

Here is the mantra from ABA regarding X-Bows. (2011).
http://www.westernsportsman.com/2011/10/aba-response/

There are a few nearly identical comments on this thread. Are the hardcore ABA members required to memorize these?
Old 03-27-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
I think crossbows have a place in atchery season when you have a disability that stops a person from bring able to draw a bow.
They have this right
Old 03-27-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Here is the mantra from ABA regarding X-Bows. (2011).
http://www.westernsportsman.com/2011/10/aba-response/

There are a few nearly identical comments on this thread. Are the hardcore ABA members required to memorize these?
No, and I know it might surprise you but lots of folks feel that way.

Lc
Old 03-27-2018, 09:00 PM

Maybe they should rename it from bow and rifle season to muscle powered season and trigger season. Doesn't quite sound as good though.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun View Post
Long time member and 50+ year Trad Bowhunter. Those of you complaining get involved instead. ABA is the reason there is bowhunting anyway. I'm one of the directors and we ARE involved with other user groups who support us and we support them.

I'm dealing with some old age issues and physical problems myself right now but I can tell you that I will never use a crossbow. I'll have to shoot some meat with the rifle I guess after 20 yrs.

Oh and Phil, the Ram you killed last year is a direct result of ABA helping to create the zone for you to do so.

The main problem we have in this province is politicians in charge of something they no nothing about.

Want change, get involved. Come to some meetings and really see what we're about.
I for one, saw what ABA was really all about when Parkland County was considering allowing the use of Blackpowder and Crossbows in the County to help reduce the Deer population in the area. Parkland County residents were invited to attend a public meeting with County officials and F & W to discuss the proposition. The presentations were in support of the proposal. Well, wouldn't you know it ... ABA stacked the Holborne Hall with literally dozens of members recruited from far and wide to attend the meeting via a last minute ABA telephone blitz. With the full support and encouragement of the ABA executive and their reams of propaganda ABA literally overwhelmed the meeting with reams of consecutive "speakers" and presentations from their Executive.
The result was a well intentioned meeting turned in to a disaster by the ABA stacking strategy. Needless to say, nothing further came of that Parkland County initiative.
Without question the ABA Executive , Kelly Semple and others were there to counter the initiative in an attempt to retain "their" coveted Bowzone for themselves. The ABA 's high profile Outfitter members operating in the Edmonton Bowzone were in attendance as well as they had the most to lose.
So yeah, join up, see what they are all about and help the ABA smother anything they see as a threat, by their own interpretations, to their exclusive agenda.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
I for one, saw what ABA was really all about when Parkland County was considering allowing the use of Blackpowder and Crossbows in the County to help reduce the Deer population in the area. Parkland County residents were invited to attend a public meeting with County officials and F & W to discuss the proposition. The presentations were in support of the proposal. Well, wouldn't you know it ... ABA stacked the Holborne Hall with literally dozens of members recruited from far and wide to attend the meeting via a last minute ABA telephone blitz. With the full support and encouragement of the ABA executive and their reams of propaganda ABA literally overwhelmed the meeting with reams of consecutive "speakers" and presentations from their Executive.
The result was a well intentioned meeting turned in to a disaster by the ABA stacking strategy. Needless to say, nothing further came of that Parkland County initiative.
Without question the ABA Executive , Kelly Semple and others were there to counter the initiative in an attempt to retain "their" coveted Bowzone for themselves. The ABA 's high profile Outfitter members operating in the Edmonton Bowzone were in attendance as well as they had the most to lose.
So yeah, join up, see what they are all about and help the ABA smother anything they see as a threat, by their own interpretations, to their exclusive agenda.
Seriously, was it ABA or local residents?
Old 03-27-2018, 09:37 PM

Must have been before my days as a member. I don’t recall receiving a call to action.

LC
Old 03-27-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
If the ABA considered XCross-Bows as being directly related to Archery rather than as a Firearm I could support them. Their selfish anti X-Bow lobbying puts me in the opposite camp.
have been a member for many years.
As a die hard bow hunter, I have one friend who has to use a crossbow because he has a permanent disability and he cant draw a bow, puts him into the bow season for more hunting.
my opinion is that crossbows belong in the gun season as they act like a fireman, can be loaded forever and ready to shoot like a rifle.
long arguement that goes on forever.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Seriously, was it ABA or local residents?

Of about 150 attendees about 60 were locals residents. The rest were ABA members or affiliates.. Seriously.