Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-10-2019, 11:55 AM

Default Rocky Mountain Whites in NSR near Edmonton

Hello,
Looking to add another species to my catch with the fly rod. Anyone want to share some tips on where to locate these in the NSR near or within the city of Edmonton?

Any tips on fly patterns to try for RMW's?

BW
Old 09-10-2019, 12:17 PM

Generally in this area, the further upstream, the better. As we head further into fall, some fish will move downstream into the city area as well. I’ve caught some in the run upstream of the Capilano bridge in October. You might even have a chance encounter with a brown trout!
Old 09-14-2019, 12:57 PM

Rockies like faster water. On the upstream side of the high level bridge has the right habitat to hold rockies. Just downstream from the north end of the Quesnell Bridge is another spot.

Studies suggest that rockies may be spawning and wintering in the Edmonton reach of the river. I have caught nice sized Rockies in February so some rockies definitely stick around.

Rockies need riffles, runs and rapid habitats with gravel and cobble stones to spawn. A riffle is less than a half meter deep. Rapids and runs are a half a meter deep or more with higher velocity. Deeper than a meter in a gravel bottom run is where they will hold and feed.

Rockies seem to like white. they feed close to the bottom so a weighted fly or line to get down.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 09-14-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Rockies like faster water. On the upstream side of the high level bridge has the right habitat to hold rockies. Just downstream from the north end of the Quesnell Bridge is another spot.

Studies suggest that rockies may be spawning and wintering in the Edmonton reach of the river. I have caught nice sized Rockies in February so some rockies definitely stick around.

Rockies need riffles, runs and rapid habitats with gravel and cobble stones to spawn. A riffle is less than a half meter deep. Rapids and runs are a half a meter deep or more with higher velocity. Deeper than a meter in a gravel bottom run is where they will hold and feed.

Rockies seem to like white. they feed close to the bottom so a weighted fly or line to get down.
Thanks for the pointers. I went down to the river this morning at the Quesnel. River was high and dirty. I’ll keep checking these spots and will be paying attention to the Alberta stream flow app.

I think I’ll tie on a blood worm tipped with a maggot, and maybe a split shot or two.

BW
Old 09-14-2019, 05:17 PM

If you are going to try the high level bridge area the south side of the river is better. You can drive down to the Kinsmen and if you stay on the road and go past the playing fields there is a gravel road that goes under the bridge. There is a parking lot there and right across from the lot is a short path/lane down and you can get down to the water.

In dirty water the rule of thumb is a darker color but I think as long as there is a maggot or two involved the rockies will find your hook. Later in September and October there is little black bugs that are profuse along the shorelines so black might work too.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-14-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
If you are going to try the high level bridge area the south side of the river is better. You can drive down to the Kinsmen and if you stay on the road and go past the playing fields there is a gravel road that goes under the bridge. There is a parking lot there and right across from the lot is a short path/lane down and you can get down to the water.

In dirty water the rule of thumb is a darker color but I think as long as there is a maggot or two involved the rockies will find your hook. Later in September and October there is little black bugs that are profuse along the shorelines so black might work too.
Perfect. Thanks again.

BW