Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-29-2019, 07:26 PM

Default Best Bore Sighter - Cost not an issue

What is the best bore sighter out there? Laser or grid? Pull no punches, I want something that really works and allows me to set a zero at 100-200 yds and be reasonably close.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:37 PM

If it's a bolt action. Go to the range.
Pull the bolt out of the gun. Look down the barrel from the breech end.and center it on a target at 50 or 100meters/yards. (The further away the better).
Then adjust your scope so it lines up with the center of the target. This should put you on paper.

Note use a sand bag/gun rest, bipod etc to hold the firearm up right. If you need to block the butt up use a box or two of bullets, or any other material under the but so it will hold steady lining the bore up to the target
It works really well, you will be o paper and can buy a box or two of bullets for the cost of the bore scope
Old 09-29-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
Pull the bolt out of the gun. Look down the barrel from the breech end.and center it on a target at 50 or 100meters/yards. (The further away the better).
Then adjust your scope so it lines up with the center of the target. This should put you on paper.

Note use a sand bag/gun rest, bipod etc to hold the firearm up right. If you need to block the butt up use a box or two of bullets, or any other material under the but so it will hold steady lining the bore up to the target
It works really well, you will be o paper and can buy a box or two of bullets for the cost of the bore scope
X2. No need whatsoever for a bore sight tool.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
X2. No need whatsoever for a bore sight tool.
You can even bore sight a break action that way if you take the receiver off and just put the barrel(s) on the bags.
I bore site my rifles a 200 meters using this system and can usually get on the gong in three or less rounds.
Cat
Old 09-29-2019, 08:00 PM

The only time I found a borsighter has been useful is diagnosing a bad scope that had internal movement. Other then that I dont find they are worth their cost.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:15 PM

Good advice already given for bolt guns. I’ve seen a number of shooters very frustrated with their laser rigs which sunlight washes out and are often difficult to see at 25M. For actions that don’t give access to the bore...shoot a big paper and make scope adjustments.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:55 PM

lol bore sighters are a scam. like they all said shot a few more rounds it ain't hard.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:05 PM

I have an old bushnell with a grid and uses individual caliber arbors . It’s been pretty good . I certainly would not just use it and go hunting without properly sighting in .
Old 09-29-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post

Works well

I do this then shoot at the dirt berm at 50m. Pick a spot and see where bullet hit adjust till it's close then go to paper. Dirt works well with semi as well. I usually find 50m best for me with any rifle.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:52 PM

For a bolt action or singleshot or break action I wouldn't bother, you can do it on the bench. Set it up at 25, and get it pretty close on paper at 100 by pulling the bolt and setting it up, or opening the action on the singleshot or break action, takes a couple of minutes to do, but you can definitely do it in under 10 rds. Adjust the scope to where the barrel is pointed at 25, use a round target and center the barrel on it, adjust the scope to center that target, then shoot and adjust again. Then shoot 100 and adjust to where it needs to go at 100. Set it at 2-1/2 high at 100 and shoot and adjust again at 200. Need a good rest that the gun will not move on, while adjusting.
Now, if you are trying to sight that crooked barreled shotgun of yours, all bets are off.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
What is the best bore sighter out there? Laser or grid? Pull no punches, I want something that really works and allows me to set a zero at 100-200 yds and be reasonably close.

The grid sure helps to get proper 'scope alignment with the bore. I center the turrets and do any major windage or elevation adjustment with the bases. I use it in conjuction with three levels , then confirm on paper. Seems to work fine.. and saves a lot of ammo.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:56 AM

I use the Leupold grid and it works awesome. Bore site, remove tool, shoot once, then reinstall tool and center the grid back to crosshairs and to the target then adjust the scope to the point of impact. One shot and you are very very close.
Looks like it may be discontinued now though?
Old 09-30-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
I use the Leupold grid and it works awesome. Bore site, remove tool, shoot once, then reinstall tool and center the grid back to crosshairs and to the target then adjust the scope to the point of impact. One shot and you are very very close.
Looks like it may be discontinued now though?
Agreed. Great tool, also useful for levelling a scope and verifying crosshairs are good.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:34 PM

Agreed with the boresiting by eye method. Works extremely well. Bolt actions, break barrels, ARs and other black rifles, anything you can look down the barrel of and adjust the scope to match.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:39 AM

I have an older Bushnell Professional with a grid. It has the adjustable arbors, they expand via a thumb screw to fit inside the barrel. As FPS stated it works good.

Also have a Wheeler Engineering Professional kit with a grid as well. What I do not like is the way it affixes to the muzzle. It has a very strong magnet that "snaps" onto the muzzle as soon as you get it close to the muzzle. The magnet is also a fairly large diameter and is hard to center on the muzzle. Instructions state it does not need to be dead center but I like to be as accurate as possible. I cut a piece of circular thick paper the same diameter as the magnet and taped it to the magnet. I drew a circle on the paper spacer the same diameter as the muzzle and try to center it the best I can. I do not want to damage the muzzle or the finish on the barrel if the magnet "snaps" onto the muzzle. Not exactly easy to use but once you get it centered it seems to work good.

Also have the Site Lite laser mag SL500. This model has the strongest laser they offer, green in color. Site Lite advertises it is visible out to 100 yards. Site Lite provides a target to use with a cross and vertical and horizontal hash marks. The Site Lite laser mag is the most accurate of the three that I have.

As previously stated you still need to verify the scope alignment with point of impact at a range and make any adjustments required at the range.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:36 PM

In my opinion the more you spend on a bore site the more money you will waist.

It simplifies getting on paper I suppose but how often are you putting new scopes on? Looking down the bore gets you 95+% of the usefulness of a bore site. You can't substitute shooting and fine tuning either way.

But hey if you want one who am I to tell you otherwise I suppose. Just throwing my opinion in where it isn't really needed I guess
Old 10-10-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
In my opinion the more you spend on a bore site the more money you will waist.

It simplifies getting on paper I suppose but how often are you putting new scopes on? Looking down the bore gets you 95+% of the usefulness of a bore site. You can't substitute shooting and fine tuning either way.

But hey if you want one who am I to tell you otherwise I suppose. Just throwing my opinion in where it isn't really needed I guess
I think your basic point is on target. I am also of the opinion that the extra bit of practice involved with converting the bore sight to zero ...is not wasted. If the purpose of using a device is to reduce the use of ammo then perhaps purchasing one meets that intended purpose.