Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-29-2024, 10:10 PM

Default Alberta is charging an EV tax for them to pay their share of road costs

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...ic-vehicle-tax

$200/year tax.

No tax for hybrids.

About time EV’s pay for road usage.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-29-2024, 11:34 PM

Absolutely about time. Help pay for the roads that they still use.

I found this interesting in the 'Alberta is Calling' segment...
"Eligible recipients can receive a one-time refundable tax credit of $5,000. Applicants must meet certain criteria to qualify, including working full-time in a specified occupation after the program start date, filing 2024 taxes in Alberta and living in the province for at least 12 months."

Sounds easy enough that they could implement this criteria for hunting licenses too.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:14 AM

You use the road you should help pay for it

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
You use the road you should help pay for it
^ I do, several times a week whenever I put fuel in my vehicles.

J.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:25 AM

$200 is too low, make it high enough to make up for all lost fuel taxes, so the people using EVs pay their share. Evs are heavier, and are actually harder on our rads.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
$200 is too low, make it high enough to make up for all lost fuel taxes, so the people using EVs pay their share. Evs are heavier, and are actually harder on our rads.
Don’t give our politicians any ideas. Lots of places charge higher registration fees based GVW. My Dodge diesel with all supplies/tools weighs probably 70% more than my 4Runner, but gets better fuel mileage on the highway, so it’s not really paying it’s fair share either looking at it that way.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Don’t give our politicians any ideas. Lots of places charge higher registration fees based GVW. My Dodge diesel with all supplies/tools weighs probably 70% more than my 4Runner, but gets better fuel mileage on the highway, so it’s not really paying it’s fair share either looking at it that way.
I’m from the govt, I’m here to help….so you say you don’t think your Dodge is paying it’s fair share. We will have someone come by to help ya with that as soon as we are done our picnic luncheon…
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 03-01-2024, 09:57 AM

When I heard the radio newscaster wonder if this is a good thing I smiled and said to myself, heck ya, about time. Until your EV flys, you pay like the rest of us do.
Old 03-01-2024, 10:04 AM

about time

should be a lot more based on weight for a car
Old 03-01-2024, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Agreed, I pay around $15.00/week x52 weeks $780.00 per year in gas tax, and the majority is for me work commute. The EV tax should be at least triple the $200.00.

BW
Old 03-01-2024, 10:10 AM

Attach

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=...sz=w2732-h1790
Old 03-01-2024, 10:18 AM

Good idea, then maybe UCP will finally repair/pave the Yellowhead highway instead of just patching it like Old Jeans.
Old 03-01-2024, 10:28 AM

Well since we are on the topic of people using Public Resources paying their fair share...

Last week I E Mailed Finance Minister Nate Horner about the idea of Non Residents earning Income in Alberta, but paying Provincial Income Tax to their Home Province (think 21 days in, and fly out to Nova Scotia for your 10 days out, AND SPEND ALL YOUR MONEY IN NOVA SCOTIA).

I have sent Letters to Premier Ed Stelmach, Premier Rachel Notley, Premier Kenny, Premier Danielle Smith and many many MLA's, to complete silence from our Government.

Imagine what out Heritage Fund would look like if all the "come from away's" had paid SOME taxes earned on Alberta Resources like oil and gas, forestry, etc TO ALBERTA, instead of BC, PEI, Newfoundland, QUEBEC, Noval Scotia....

But sure, $200 on EV's is a small start.

Now lets play for some real marbles.

Mine Truck Drivers pulling in $180,000 K paying 4% to Alberta would bring in $7,200 a year to Alberta. Now imagine 20 years of such a tax would be $144,000. Now imagine that tax impact on the 40,000 estimated out of Province workers earning income in Alberta.

But I digress.

In all these years, even when I know that PC / Reform / UCP Organizers were aware of this tax proposal, Out of Province Workers have given Alberta Nothing.

If any of you are friends with Nate and Danielle, maybe tell them to wake up and make us some real money.

Drewski
Old 03-01-2024, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Well since we are on the topic of people using Public Resources paying their fair share...

Last week I E Mailed Finance Minister Nate Horner about the idea of Non Residents earning Income in Alberta, but paying Provincial Income Tax to their Home Province (think 21 days in, and fly out to Nova Scotia for your 10 days out, AND SPEND ALL YOUR MONEY IN NOVA SCOTIA).

I have sent Letters to Premier Ed Stelmach, Premier Rachel Notley, Premier Kenny, Premier Danielle Smith and many many MLA's, to complete silence from our Government.

Imagine what out Heritage Fund would look like if all the "come from away's" had paid SOME taxes earned on Alberta Resources like oil and gas, forestry, etc TO ALBERTA, instead of BC, PEI, Newfoundland, QUEBEC, Noval Scotia....

Mine Truck Drivers pulling in $180,000 K paying 4% to Alberta would bring in $7,200 a year to Alberta. Now imagine 20 years of such a tax would be $144,000. Now imagine that tax impact on the 40,000 estimated out of Province workers earning income in Alberta.

But I digress.

In all these years, even when I know that PC / Reform / UCP Organizers were aware of this tax proposal, Out of Province Workers have given Alberta Nothing.

If any of you are friends with Nate and Danielle, maybe tell them to wake up and make us some real money.

Drewski
The UCP won't let me order a bottle of wine from BC without paying tax on it. Yet they let billions of dollars in payroll tax leave the province yearly. Go figure

BW
Old 03-01-2024, 10:42 AM

Of course Rachel was outraged, imagine making EV owners pay what amounts to just a part of their share for road maintenance ?

Isaiah 5:8
Old 03-01-2024, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Of course Rachel was outraged, imagine making EV owners pay what amounts to just a part of their share for road maintenance ?
And if all vehicles were EVs, and there was no tax from the sale of gasoline, where would they make up the tax shortfall?
Old 03-01-2024, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
She is a leftist, they are chronically outraged. When they run out of things to be outraged about they just make up something new.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-01-2024, 05:47 PM

Now if they could figure out a way to do the same for the bike path users in Edmonton.
Old 03-01-2024, 06:22 PM

lots of hybrid owners with old EV and worn out batteries in New Zealand cutting power cords to avoid that tax down there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdOn5HBxgFw&t=101s

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-01-2024, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Good idea, then maybe UCP will finally repair/pave the Yellowhead highway instead of just patching it like Old Jeans.
I agree with this. That highway west of Edmonton is absolutely aweful. It really is a joke with how much vehicle traffic it gets that they don't take the crater size pot holes more seriously.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:04 PM

Quote:

But I digress.

Drewski
They are probably ignoring you because your idea is ridiculous. Since I moved here from Nova Scotia 40 years ago, I have met exactly 0 people that commute back and forth to NS on their days off.

The vast majority that I've met are like me. They work hard, help make this province money and raised their families here.

There are skilled tradesmen that come here to do work in the off season rather than sit around and I applaud them for doing so. There is generally a real shortage of skilled workers here. Their presence makes the province money and employers are happy to have them. The only thing worse than having a heavy equipment operator from NS is having no heavy equipment operators.

Out of province workers spend a ton of money in this province BTW. They are renting from Albertans, staying in hotels, buying groceries, buying clothing, buying safety equipment etc. etc. etc. but most importantly filling positions so work gets done. They are not a strain on the economy they are an asset to the economy.

It is always those nasty easterners hunting your game and stealing your money. I find it strange that you never mention the transient workers from Saskatchewan and BC. Are they exempt from your rant? People actually do commute from those provinces.

Your constant attacks on easterners is tiresome. Take the Newfoundlanders and Nova Scotians out of the oil sands and see if your provincial revenue goes up or down.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
They are probably ignoring you because your idea is ridiculous. Since I moved here from Nova Scotia 40 years ago, I have met exactly 0 people that commute back and forth to NS on their days off.

The vast majority that I've met are like me. They work hard, help make this province money and raised their families here.

There are skilled tradesmen that come here to do work in the off season rather than sit around and I applaud them for doing so. There is generally a real shortage of skilled workers here. Their presence makes the province money and employers are happy to have them. The only thing worse than having a heavy equipment operator from NS is having no heavy equipment operators.

Out of province workers spend a ton of money in this
province BTW. They are renting from Albertans, staying in hotels, buying groceries, buying clothing, buying safety equipment etc. etc. etc. but most importantly filling positions so work gets done. They are not a strain on the economy they are an asset to the economy.

It is always those nasty easterners hunting your game and stealing your money. I find it strange that you never
mention the transient workers from Saskatchewan and BC. Are they exempt from your rant? People actually do
commute from those provinces.

Your constant attacks on easterners is tiresome. Take the Newfoundlanders and Nova Scotians out of the oil sands and see if your provincial revenue goes up or
down.
Obviously, you haven't worked in the oilsands recently,
many workers do commute from outside of Alberta, including quite a few from the eastern provinces.And many stay in camp, and contribute virtually nothing to the economy. And some rent a room , and the rent is not claimed as income, and they use company transportation, so some don't even have a vehicle here, or buy fuel. And some do buy residential licenses, and even
enter draws, using an Alberta address, even though their primary residence is elsewhere, and they purchase resident tags in another province/..
I know this to be fact, as I worked with some of these people, some worked for me, and I met many that worked at other companies in my 35 years in Fort McMurray. Some actually left out company, to get schedules more suited to flying back and forth regularly.
Regardless of which province they are from, if their primary employment is in Alberta, then they should pay part of their income taxes to Alberta, or their employer should pay some income tax to Alberta.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 03-01-2024 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:07 PM

Quote:

Out of province workers spend a ton of money in this province BTW. They are renting from Albertans, staying in hotels, buying groceries, buying clothing, buying safety equipment etc. etc. etc. but most importantly filling positions so work gets done. They are not a strain on the economy they are an asset to the economy.

It is always those nasty easterners hunting your game and stealing your money. I find it strange that you never mention the transient workers from Saskatchewan and BC. Are they exempt from your rant? People actually do commute from those provinces.

Your constant attacks on easterners is tiresome. Take the Newfoundlanders and Nova Scotians out of the oil sands and see if your provincial revenue goes up or down.
those easterners vote in liberals , use our hospitals ,roads and infrastructure then pay their taxes "back home" . we did fine with out them before and will do fine if they leave .
Old 03-01-2024, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Obviously, you haven't worked in the oilsands recently,
many workers do commute from outside of Alberta, including quite a few from the eastern provinces.And many stay in camp, and contribute virtually nothing to the economy. And some rent a room , and the rent is not claimed as income, and they use company transportation, so some don't even have a vehicle here, or buy fuel. And some do buy residential licenses, and even
enter draws, using an Alberta address, even though their primary residence is elsewhere, and they purchase resident tags in another province/..
I know this to be fact, as I worked with some of these people, some worked for me, and I met many that worked at other companies in my 35 years in Fort McMurray. Some actually left out company, to get schedules more suited to flying back and forth regularly.
Regardless of which province they are from, if their primary employment is in Alberta, then they should pay part of their income taxes to Alberta, or their employer should pay some income tax to Alberta.
I am aware of your feelings and some do commute, but flying home on your days off would mean you are working for near nothing. You are talking the exception, not the rule.

Canada is a country. You can share our wealth with hard working Canadians that help keep the wheels turning or send it east for nothing via transfer.

As far as not contributing, how much money does a shut down shift make? Alberta makes money off of oil revenue. Whoever keeps the oil moving is contributing to the economy.

Alberta creates jobs across the country from buying heavy equipment, food, cars, trucks, transportation and everything else one could imagine. That's not to mention billions in transfer payments. Most are unaware, ungrateful and attack our Alberta industries at every opportunity. These are the enemies of Albertans, not those breaking their backs far away from families and friends. If some of them want to go hunting while contributing so much to our economy I don't think it's the end of the world. I know I didn't miss hunting season while working in the Artic and the local people welcomed me on their hunts.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:26 PM

MK,

You are proof of what needs to happen. You moved to Alberta 40 years ago. You made and spent your money in Alberta. You paid your Taxes in Alberta.

Alberta's Social programs were supported by you and me, not Nova Scotia's.

The REAL INSULT is the come from away workers go back home and support Provincial Governments which attempt to Block Alberta's Energy Industry at every chance they can get. These same Governments of course smile when they see the Income Taxes paid on Alberta Income, and then the Sales Taxes paid on Spending "back home".

Did any of your Nova Scotian Friends ever stand up to their Government when they directly attacked Alberta's Energy Industry? Did they oppose the Federal Government's policies that are making Alberta lose International Investors? Of course they DID NOT.

Did you stand up for Alberta?

When someone is in Camp for 21 days, working 10 hour shifts, they DO NOT spend a dime in Alberta. When someone is on the rigs, in a remote camp, the Company supplies everything, and again, not a dime is spent in Alberta.

But the Easterners never say thank you for their good fortune. Instead their Governments support a Federal Government that is bent on killing the Goose that Lays the Golden Eggs.

Do you really want to stand up for those people?

Drewski
Old 03-01-2024, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpete1 View Post
those easterners vote in liberals , use our hospitals ,roads and infrastructure then pay their taxes "back home" . we did fine with out them before and will do fine if they leave .
Broad brush my friend, are all Edmontonians card carrying NDP.

I was proudly born and raised in Nova Scotia and this is my home. I have done nothing but contribute to this economy since arriving. Good luck evicting me and my family.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:33 PM

Quote:
I am aware of your feelings and some do commute, but flying home on your days off would mean you are working for near nothing. You are talking the exception, not the rule.

Canada is a country. You can share our wealth with hard working Canadians that help keep the wheels turning or send it east for nothing via transfer.

As far as not contributing, how much money does a shut down shift make? Alberta makes money off of oil revenue. Whoever keeps the oil moving is contributing to the economy.

Alberta creates jobs across the country from buying heavy equipment, food, cars, trucks, transportation and everything else one could imagine. That's not to mention billions in transfer payments. Most are unaware, ungrateful and attack our Alberta industries at every opportunity. These are the enemies of Albertans, not those breaking their backs far away from families and friends. If some of them want to go hunting while contributing so much to our economy I don't think it's the end of the world. I know I didn't miss hunting season while working in the Artic and the local people welcomed me on their hunts.
Those people that fly back and forth choose to do that, because they don't want to move to Alberta, and live here full time, they choose to support another province, rather than supporting Alberta.
As for the hunting, I have a major issue with people that lie, and state that their primary residence is in Alberta, when in fact it is in another province, and they also buy resident tags in their home province. What they are doing is illegal, and they should be held accountable.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:41 PM

Quote:
MK,

You are proof of what needs to happen. You moved to Alberta 40 years ago. You made and spent your money in Alberta. You paid your Taxes in Alberta.

Alberta's Social programs were supported by you and me, not Nova Scotia's.

The REAL INSULT is the come from away workers go back home and support Provincial Governments which attempt to Block Alberta's Energy Industry at every chance they can get. These same Governments of course smile when they see the Income Taxes paid on Alberta Income, and then the Sales Taxes paid on Spending "back home".

Did any of your Nova Scotian Friends ever stand up to their Government when they directly attacked Alberta's Energy Industry? Did they oppose the Federal Government's policies that are making Alberta lose International Investors? Of course they DID NOT.

Did you stand up for Alberta?

When someone is in Camp for 21 days, working 10 hour shifts, they DO NOT spend a dime in Alberta. When someone is on the rigs, in a remote camp, the Company supplies everything, and again, not a dime is spent in Alberta.

But the Easterners never say thank you for their good fortune. Instead their Governments support a Federal Government that is bent on killing the Goose that Lays the Golden Eggs.

Do you really want to stand up for those people?

Drewski
I will just copy and paste this from the last time we had this conversation. I believe you were on about helping NS in a time of need during the wild fires.

NS has a lower unemployment rate than Alberta and very few transient workers.

When you vote, do you consider support of other industries and regions?

Which political party best supports the Atlantic fisheries?

Which party stands up for the potato industry in PEI when China plays games with imports?

Which party supports Michelin Canada and their enormous contribution to the Atlantic/Canadian economy?

Which party supports the Sobeys brand, a proud NS corporation that employs well over 100,000 Canadians and adds billions to the economy?

Ever hear of Irving and the thousands they employ in the Maritimes?

Which party best serves Maritime ship building, another major contributor to the Atlantic/Canadian economy?

Which party best supports Maritime tourism and environmental protection of one of the most vulnerable ecosystems on the planet?

Where were you when the yuppies shut down the seal hunting industry?

Where were you when massive freezer trawlers pillaged the banks?

Where were you when unions threatened to shut down 3 massive Michelin Tire plants in Nova Scotia?

Where were you when Scott Paper polluted an entire eco system and poisoned hundreds of indigenous people in northern Nova Scotia?

Where were you when acid rain from the industrial US and Canada rained down on the Maritimes?

We are all guilty of ignorance when it comes to the struggles of others. We are tied up with our own families, our own work and our own communities.

Maritimers are not sitting around scheming up ways to sabotage Alberta anymore than Albertans are scheming to sabotage the Maritimes. They are too busy living their own lives.

I am a proud Albertan for the last 30+ years, born and raised in Nova Scotia. I have lived and worked all across Canada and if you believe there is more kind or caring people than Maritimers, you are sadly mistaken. I am happy to share my good fortune with other Canadians in times of need. I would bet my bottom dollar that the vast majority of Albertans feel the same way, no strings attached.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Those people that fly back and forth choose to do that, because they don't want to move to Alberta, and live here full time, they choose to support another province, rather than supporting Alberta.
As for the hunting, I have a major issue with people that lie, and state that their primary residence is in Alberta, when in fact it is in another province, and they also buy resident tags in their home province. What they are doing is illegal, and they should be held accountable.
You do realize that out of province tags are cheap right. Anyone I know that wants to hunt here just buys a tag. When my Dad was alive, he came out here every year hunting. Whenever he tried to buy an out of province tag they encouraged him not to bother. He was issued a regular WIN card and had to insist on paying the out of province rate. He held a position that would not appreciate illegal activity.

If the system is broken fix it. Don't attack those that come out here to help keep things going.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:05 PM

Quote:
You do realize that out of province tags are cheap right. Anyone I know that wants to hunt here just buys a tag. When my Dad was alive, he came out here every year hunting. Whenever he tried to buy an out of province tag they encouraged him not to bother. He was issued a regular WIN card and had to insist on paying the out of province rate. He held a position that would not appreciate illegal activity.

If the system is broken fix it. Don't attack those that
come out here to help keep things going.
If your primary residence is not in Alberta, and you purchase a resident tag, what you are doing is a violation of the wildlife act. I know that people do it, because they can get away with it, but that doesn't change the fact that is a violation. I have hosted non resident Canadians, and they purchased non resident licenses/tags, they had no difficulty doing so, and the vendors did not try to illegally sell them resident licenses. Trying to justify non residents purchasing resident licenses, is just making excuses, for their illegal activities.