Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-13-2013, 06:51 PM

Default Black Ops vs Camo

I notice alot of people use bows and accesories that are all black. Is this a fad? Advantage to it in certain conditions? Or is it just for the cool factor?
Old 03-13-2013, 07:02 PM

I like the black ops colour because black blends into everything and actually if you are ground blind hunting a black bow with black accessories is by far the best colour to use....recommend dressing in all black in a ground blind too.

I had a buddy stand in a shooting lane while I drew my bow and he said he could see the sun hitting my limbs plain as day...a black bow minimizes this.

LC
Old 03-13-2013, 07:06 PM

Other than in ground blinds, it is a fad...

www.nicktrehearne.com
Old 03-13-2013, 07:24 PM

I think if you are only going to have 1 bow and plan to hunt in blinds and on foot, a black bow is more versatile. In my experience, a black bow will blend in very well in a lot of Alberta hunting situations, especially in the forrested regions of the province.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:33 PM

I never even thought about ground blind and a black bow. Makes sense.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:54 PM

Animals are colour blind, So really unless you are participating in your own version of the hunger games, go with what you like. That being said Black in a blind is a great idea because you just become part of the darkness, I wear a black hoody inside mine. Now my bow is camo and has camo accessories,that's just the way I like it, but a black limbs on camo riser or vice versa is kinda cool looking.

Stik'em
Old 03-13-2013, 08:08 PM

Just not really a fan of camo, had a camo bowtec general and the pattern looked pretty cheap, but my black destroyer 350 looks pretty slick. Don't shoot a camo shot gun even tho I'm a bird guide or even own a camo gun for that matter. I'd rather wear my carhart jacket and jeans hunting than camo any day and only wear camo if its really cold out or I'm hunting in an environment where camo is absolutely necessary. Just done really think it really makes that big of difference if any at all, I've had lots of deer looking at me and not notice, being still is the best camo available
Old 03-13-2013, 08:10 PM

Black looks cool and probably helps in a blind. My new bow (if it ever gets here. lol) is in predator 3D. I think it will look cool but probably won't make much difference in the woods.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 03-13-2013, 08:45 PM

Have a ninja (black) Elite GT 500. I don't care for most camo patterns. Black doesn't clash with anything
Old 03-13-2013, 08:54 PM

Ha yup, just the cool factor. I pimped mine in black and accessorised with green. I like it, and i have never had a problem with not being concealed due to not being camo.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:00 PM
Banned

Camo is the fad it's lasted way too long hope to see a camo less age but I doubt i will, that said I do camo up for coyote calling and with everything done well I've bought time due to coyotes not knowing what i was yet and killed them on more than one occasion butcould have been in my old cartthart coveralls it's the head net and gloves plus dull paint on the gun/scope also...really just need dull flat tans and greys and all set.

I do black bows exclusively for years now, keeps it simle buy all accessories in black and the just transfer to the next bow and always matches,the animals don't give apoop. Like I said...camo is the fad, I hope it dies a slow miserable death, so tacky, hate camo.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:07 AM

Camo as a fad, I agree with to a point. If you have ever hunted turkeys you will know that they see in color and just wearing camo is not enough, wearing the correct pattern important is extremely important, unless you are blind hunting of course. As far as camo not mattering at all because animals (and now I'm talking most mammals) only see in black and white, I don't really agree with either for the following reason: we only see in black and white in the night time and in low light conditions,yet we can differentiate objects and colors due to their contrast. Ya gotta think that animals are no different, perhaps they are even better at detecting contrast. If an object has a highly contrasting shape compared to its background, we will pick it out in a heartbeat, and in turn the contrast can be provided by an object being a different color. So, my thoughts are that it is perhaps more important to have camo that is blocky and breaks up the human shape, than it is to have a color that matches the background, unless you are bird hunting, then both become equally important. Another great tip for camo effectiveness is to wear a different pattern top and bottom, it goes one step further in breaking up the human shape and seems to work well.

Just my observations over the years.

As far as a bow goes, I don't think it is large enough nor does it possess a "dangerous" looking form to the animal to be of much concern whether it is camo or black.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:42 AM

I hunt for turkeys dressed out in black because I like
Johnny Cash look.

Acually, yes turkeys are not color blind and spend around
50 percent of the time looking up for preditors from above,
yes a ground blind with a black interior requires black bow and
closes. If they made the blinds with a red interior I'ld have to
change up.

I've never had a turkey come within 75 yards while I was in a
stand without either oviously picking me out and or make a
wide semi circle around me.

They are birds though and sometimes once in a while will make
bird brain decidions, and thank God they can't seem to smell ya
you'ld never get one.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:15 AM

Either or is fine with me. I just have to deal with the white lettering and flashy metal some manufactures put on the bows. I normally black that out.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 REM MAG View Post
. Don't shoot a camo shot gun even tho I'm a bird guide or even own a camo gun for that matter. I'd rather wear my carhart jacket and jeans hunting than camo any day
That sort of surprises me. Agree we could probably get away with less camo generally but I've always thought waterfowl hunting was where camo was most useful as you are bringing them right into where you are, they are looking right in your direction, and unlike deer, they aren't color blind.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:40 AM

...Blacked out has a slight advantage in a blind...but its more a fad or trend right now than anything...

Have to laugh because back in the day all you could get was black or silver bows...we would spend a week with different spray paints and plant foilage camo-in up our bows...then the first time you put deet on your hands you had paint everywhere ...lol

then camo was offered for xtra dollars..quite a few at first...

Now you pay extra for black..Huh?? lol

Neil
Old 03-14-2013, 04:30 PM

I went with the black when I bought my rampage xt because the camo pattern they had was super cheesy looking. If the camo was nicer I probably would have picked it over black.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:32 AM

I have several black bows , all Traditional longbows and recurves. The prime reasoning for a black bow for me is to blend into the Pop up blinds, Light colored limbs will show up thru the mesh at closer distances.
The other reason I frequently order black is the clear glass today is not always that clear, and I hate to see nice veneers under white streaks. With light colored veneeers the streaks do not show up, but on dark veneers they can be ugly. Unless you are paying premium and specify to the bowyer that you will not accept streaks you may get a bow with ugly streaks. Black glass eleminates this concern, and is usualy cheaper, by up to $100, depending on the Bowyer. Also if you are ordering a Carbon limb, it will be black in most cases. If the limb has anything over the carbon it is not geting the most the carbon can offer .
An all black trad bow also looks real good. I have 2 being made for me now. 1 Is a Bearpaw Sioux, with Black glass, carbon core, and a black phenolic riser. It will be ready to ship next week. This version is called the Blackfoot.It is a 52" forward handle longbow , with a target weight of 50@28". It will be the first of it's kind from Bearpaw. 6 are neing made, and all of them are being sent to Alberta.
The other is a Bearpaw Kiowa 52" recurve, these have black glass limbs anyway, but the one being made for me will have an all black phenolic riser instead of the standard phenolic and Zebra wood. The prime reason for both of these bows is to be used in the blinds, and to add a bit of mass to the very light weight bows.
Pete
Old 03-15-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
I have several black bows , all Traditional longbows and recurves. The prime reasoning for a black bow for me is to blend into the Pop up blinds, Light colored limbs will show up thru the mesh at closer distances.
The other reason I frequently order black is the clear glass today is not always that clear, and I hate to see nice veneers under white streaks. With light colored veneeers the streaks do not show up, but on dark veneers they can be ugly. Unless you are paying premium and specify to the bowyer that you will not accept streaks you may get a bow with ugly streaks. Black glass eleminates this concern, and is usualy cheaper, by up to $100, depending on the Bowyer. Also if you are ordering a Carbon limb, it will be black in most cases. If the limb has anything over the carbon it is not geting the most the carbon can offer .
An all black trad bow also looks real good. I have 2 being made for me now. 1 Is a Bearpaw Sioux, with Black glass, carbon core, and a black phenolic riser. It will be ready to ship next week. This version is called the Blackfoot.It is a 52" forward handle longbow , with a target weight of 50@28". It will be the first of it's kind from Bearpaw. 6 are neing made, and all of them are being sent to Alberta.
The other is a Bearpaw Kiowa 52" recurve, these have black glass limbs anyway, but the one being made for me will have an all black phenolic riser instead of the standard phenolic and Zebra wood. The prime reason for both of these bows is to be used in the blinds, and to add a bit of mass to the very light weight bows.
Pete
Now you N your stickbows are a whole different disscussion ..lol..Im still trying to figure out how you shoot one in a pop up blind unless its as big as a garage.. lol...

And I have to agree... black on a stick bow would blend in with all the other black sticks out there... because they are just that...sticks lol

I believe I have the sister to your Blacked out beauty Sioux coming also...cant wait!!
Neil

Last edited by L.O.S.T.Arrow; 03-15-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:17 AM

petew did you explain to Neil that there are 2 methods of stringing the bow ?
Push pull and the Step through.

You cannot call yourself a true longbow shooter until you've successfully
mastered the Step through method.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:25 AM

I hope he isn't using the "step thru break and twist the limb" way!!
Use the "push pull" or a stringer only.

There are far to many limbs ruined with step thru done wrong.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
...Blacked out has a slight advantage in a blind...but its more a fad or trend right now than anything...

Have to laugh because back in the day all you could get was black or silver bows...we would spend a week with different spray paints and plant foilage camo-in up our bows...then the first time you put deet on your hands you had paint everywhere ...lol

then camo was offered for xtra dollars..quite a few at first...

Now you pay extra for black..Huh?? lol

Neil
Have trouble finding your truck in the woods?
Old 03-15-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
I hope he isn't using the "step thru break and twist the limb" way!!
Use the "push pull" or a stringer only.

There are far to many limbs ruined with step thru done wrong.
I will leave the push/pull method for you pro's...I learned quite young how to string with the step thru from a wise ole timer ...using straight legs ..tip high and bending upper body ..so there is no torque on bow...

however the stringer is just fine ..lol

Neil
Old 03-15-2013, 04:51 PM

Smile Camo sioux

Neil, can't wait to see the pics. of your new stick bow with its new camo paint job!
Old 03-15-2013, 11:49 PM

when i went to buy my bow all they had at the time was black, i didn't want to Waite another week or two, so flat black it is. I don t think it makes a difference. just don't want a shiny bow.

Last edited by rielbowhunter; 03-15-2013 at 11:55 PM.