Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-18-2021, 11:48 AM

Default Hunting by Dual-Sport Bike: Thoughts?

So, I'm pondering a couple things about my past hunting season and the areas I hunt. Way too much pressure from traffic and road hunters, even back in some hairy areas. I have a SxS, but I find if I only have a bit of time in a day, its too much hassle to trailer it out someplace. I miss the quad for hunting season because it fits in the back of the truck.

I'm aware of my physical capabilities- not up to huge hikes and packing out an animal over several kms just yet.

So I've seen that using dual-sports and dirt bikes is a thing in some places, hadn't really thought of it before.

Some areas that I know aren't being hunted because its too far to hike into, and no roads for the truck hunters, but I could get at them with a bike.

Anyone here done this? Thoughts and experiences?
Old 01-18-2021, 11:59 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

Southern Vancouver Island is not so affectionately referred to as The Land of Gates. Since moving here, we have witnessed the access being barred to around 85 - 90 % of the areas we used to hunt. Some of that is legal, much is not.

This is how I get around them:

Gets me back to many areas that damn few can.
And I tend to see a lot more game as a consequence.
Still working on a modified game cart of some sort to help get the buggers out though.
Bit of a biotch without one. Doable, but "interesting"...

Cheers,
Nog
Old 01-18-2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
Southern Vancouver Island is not so affectionately referred to as The Land of Gates. Since moving here, we have witnessed the access being barred to around 85 - 90 % of the areas we used to hunt. Some of that is legal, much is not.

Still working on a modified game cart of some sort to help get the buggers out though.

Cheers,
Nog

Nog

They make one and two wheel carts designed to go behind mountain bikes and offroad electric pedal bikes. They work excellent, used oa single wheel one behind a mountain bike. They will pack out a quartered up elk no problem.

This is just a picture of one for illustration. You want the ones with the weight kept sown low. The single wheel ones have the advantage of tracking in your Bikes whell rut.

Old 01-18-2021, 01:39 PM

I hunt like this quite often. I have a ktm 690 and a Honda 250L. It defiantly has it limitation. It nice to jump on the bike with a gun and go for a day hike.
Things to consider:

If you want to do an overnighter or weekend hunt you can’t get enough gear onto the bike and if you manage to it becomes a tank that’s always falling over and stuck.

If you are driving on a highway or grid road where other people can see you with a rifle on a dirtbike every nosy nacey will report you because they don’t know the laws.

If you are hunting early in the morning and accessing an area by trail and happen to dirtbike past a fellow hunter that has woke up early and started walking two hours in the dark to get into a nice spot and you go past him with your bike and gun. He will chew you a new one or let you pass and fire a shot into your bike. Be respectful Dirtbikes **** people off easily. Especially if your trying to cut in front of a guy.

Law is you need a helmet on and a guy can’t shoot with a helmet on.

Dirtbike gear is nothing like hunting gear. When your riding you want dirtbike gear. When you stop to hike you want hunting gear. Sucks carrying both.

Good luck maybe see you out there.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:42 PM
Banned

Rokon
Old 01-18-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Oh my goodness... That looks like they used part of a trampoline frame as the gooseneck!

Heavy, but ingenious...
Old 01-18-2021, 04:18 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

https://www.petersenshunting.com/edi...e-build/272588

Honda-Ruckus-Motorcycle.jpg

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-18-2021, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post

Cheers,
Nog
Gotta a couple of these myself.... Honda CT90 100 miles to the tank..... waterproof snorkel exhaust system 2 speed hi lo transmission Great little bikes that command more $$ now than when they were new 355.00 in the sixties
Old 01-18-2021, 04:48 PM

My son hunts on his 500 exc ktm all the time.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:22 PM

Default this is Donkey

Donkey has the nose of a Blood Hound and he will do 26 mph under a big load
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190803_100100.jpg (52.4 KB, 200 views)
Old 01-18-2021, 06:33 PM

I've been thinking of one of these to put on the front of the truck when I have the camper on it and then pull the river boat behind.
This way I can still river hunt and check out all the back country M/L roads.

https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/en/road/...0/2021-MTW200M
Old 01-20-2021, 11:01 PM

I enjoy a few hunts on my TW200 but it can be extremely challenging. Before atv before dawn laws changed there was a case to be made for them.
I have found the following issues

1. Looking for game while not dropping your front wheel into a hole or over a rock hard. It's a one or the other kinda deal. You either don't die or look for game, not both.

2. Lots of places you can get into but don't have enough traction to get out of. Ask me about the river valley trail after a rain.

3. Dragging out an elk is challenging at best.

4. See 1

Using a bike to get you into a known area is freeing but I'm done getting thrown off my bike sliding on wet clay and getting a quad
Old 01-20-2021, 11:11 PM

Used to ride a Honda xr350 to go exploring and hunting. Liked getting 70-80 mpg. Got tired of picking myself up after hitting frost, wet sticks on the trail, ice, mud. Got tired of having very little carrying capacity after shooting game. Broke my right foot after hitting some algae slime across a trail...so I bought a quad. All other problems were subsequently solved by the quad as well. However it only gets around 25 mpg.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:13 AM

I have tw200yamaha I use for hunting sometimes .
Old 01-24-2021, 03:46 PM

I have had a Honda ct trail 110 and own a Rokon for many years now. The Honda was nimble and more fun , less bone crushing to ride . The Honda or any standard bike are not fun in wet conditions Rokon is far superior in wet situations . The Rokon can not be licences to ride in the roads . The Rokon is slow and ROUGH but will go in some serious places. Two wheels —- you will fall off .
Old 01-24-2021, 08:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
I have had a Honda ct trail 110 and own a Rokon for many years now. The Honda was nimble and more fun , less bone crushing to ride . The Honda or any standard bike are not fun in wet conditions Rokon is far superior in wet situations . The Rokon can not be licences to ride in the roads . The Rokon is slow and ROUGH but will go in some serious places. Two wheels —- you will fall off .
I have one too
Should go for a ride this summer 👍
Old 01-27-2021, 12:40 PM

Possibly
Old 01-27-2021, 04:39 PM

I end up having too much fun riding my dirtbike and don't pay attention to any animal sign if out trying to hunt on it. I use an older yamaha grizzly 700 as they don't handle worth a $H!t and only have about 48 horsepower, therefore I spend more time hunting while on the quad. Its definitely alot quieter on the quad than it is when I'm making the 2 stroke bike sing on the pipe.