Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-14-2021, 07:42 AM

Default Alberta Government Destroying our Streams

Are we going to all roll over and let the Alberta government open up the Eastern slopes to coal mining destroying our sacred headwaters?

Perhaps a march to the legislature, we all get our waders on with fly rods in hand and cast the nastiest looking black Zonkers towards the premier . This guy does not give a rats ass about Alberta. Just like the head of the coal lobby, Robin Campbell our ex environment minister. A bunch of rats. Then there is Jason Nixon our current environment minister . Google his last legal problems and you get sense of what a quality character he is. Desperate times.

Wap
Old 01-14-2021, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapiabi View Post
Are we going to all roll over and let the Alberta government open up the Eastern slopes to coal mining destroying our sacred headwaters?

Perhaps a march to the legislature, we all get our waders on with fly rods in hand and cast the nastiest looking black Zonkers towards the premier . This guy does not give a rats ass about Alberta. Just like the head of the coal lobby, Robin Campbell our ex environment minister. A bunch of rats. Then there is Jason Nixon our current environment minister . Google his last legal problems and you get sense of what a quality character he is. Desperate times.

Wap
Another non contributing AO member posting anti coal mine threads
Old 01-15-2021, 03:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Another non contributing AO member posting anti coal mine threads
Ya, it’s getting a little old.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:14 PM

So a quick look through the last 10 thread in the fly fishing forum leads me to conclude you two might not be regular contributors to the flyfishing thread either. Maybe Wapiabi is just shy.

I'm dead set against more open pit mines in the Eastern Slopes but I guess if I don't mindlessly toe the UPC line on this I'm probably not a good little AO minion either.

Its already been mentioned elsewhere that the jobs and royalties are a pittance.

So we agree to disagree
Old 01-15-2021, 06:29 PM

Not the main section I post in but far from my first post in the fly fishing section or even the last 10 threads for that matter

Nothing wrong with being against the open pit mines. I see both positive and negative with it but mostly think there is better options
Old 01-15-2021, 08:37 PM

Much of Alberta's coal is met coal...as is the planned Ram River Coal project.
So....How does the carbon tax pricing work here?

1) Will ram coal have to pay a tax per tonne of shipped coal....or...do they pay only for the energy they use to mine the coal ?
2) If it is the latter, then are we just shipping the stuff to another country that can pollute without paying a carbon tax?
Old 01-15-2021, 09:06 PM

Alberta's mountains make up a small percentage of Alberta. Our southern East slopes even less. Open pit mining should not be allowed.

Those areas are owned by the people of Alberta, and its future generations, not just Kenny and his buddies.

Beginning to think there is nothing out of bounds for UPC.

Betting NDP will feed off of this.

Edit: Starting to think park is better than coal and its sad that those are our only choices!

Edit2: Posted from another thread.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapiabi View Post

Wap
You've had months to protest this. They announced it in March. Environmentalists and other concerned citizens have been able to have their day for 3 months. A review board beyond Nixon approved it.
The company has also received support letters from all of the Treaty 7 First Nations, as well as the Métis Nation of Alberta.

I see where guys are coming from. B.C. has been polluting the waterways, killing fishing for decades. The Alberta Energy Regulator will not allow this to happen. Just think of the oilfield tailng ponds that kill a couple birds every year and the hell they endure for that from AER. Do people honestly think that the mine is going to be able to pollute and do whatever they want?

I go to those mountains every year for fishing and camping with my family. I hate the thought of this mine destroying our mountains but yet everyone is in line for the newest car and newest technologies. Unfortunately That doesn't happen without crap like this going on.

Did i also mention it will create 400 high paying jobs. Not to Mention hundreds of indirect jobs and all the local businesses who benefit. $$74 Million a year in revenue for Alberta.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
You've had months to protest this. They announced it in March. Environmentalists and other concerned citizens have been able to have their day for 3 months. A review board beyond Nixon approved it.
The company has also received support letters from all of the Treaty 7 First Nations, as well as the Métis Nation of Alberta.

I see where guys are coming from. B.C. has been polluting the waterways, killing fishing for decades. The Alberta Energy Regulator will not allow this to happen. Just think of the oilfield tailng ponds that kill a couple birds every year and the hell they endure for that from AER. Do people honestly think that the mine is going to be able to pollute and do whatever they want?

I go to those mountains every year for fishing and camping with my family. I hate the thought of this mine destroying our mountains but yet everyone is in line for the newest car and newest technologies. Unfortunately That doesn't happen without crap like this going on.

Did i also mention it will create 400 high paying jobs. Not to Mention hundreds of indirect jobs and all the local businesses who benefit. $$74 Million a year in revenue for Alberta.
Reasonable point, but what is the cost? How does one understand the overall cost vs benefit. I don’t have the answer, but I know that there is something to be paid for things like this, and we need to accept that and be prepared for payments not foreseen.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:02 PM

Quote:

Are you talking of Ram river coal?
It is still in the development stage;

https://www.ramcoal.com/assets/docs/...ber-2019-1.pdf

Be careful of what you wish for....
Old 01-16-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:

400 isn't very many jobs, 74 million a year is a drop in the bucket. It's like robbing the kids piggy bank in an attempt pay interest on house mortgage while we **** all over the yard devaluing the worth of the property the mortgage is liened against.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
400 isn't very many jobs, 74 million a year is a drop in the bucket. It's like robbing the kids piggy bank in an attempt pay interest on house mortgage while we **** all over the yard devaluing the worth of the property the mortgage is liened against.

For this small community it sure as he11 is!
Old 01-16-2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
What project are you guys talking about?
Old 01-16-2021, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Those mountains and watersheds belong to everyone in this province. Not one community.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Those mountains and watersheds belong to everyone in this province. Not one community.
You do realize Riversdale has already purchased the land. They have been putting up gates and no trespassing signs.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:06 PM

Quote:
You do realize Riversdale has already purchased the land. They have been putting up gates and no trespassing signs.
The OP never talked about the Grassy Mountain project specifically.
I believe he was addressing the change in policy WRT coal resource extraction on the eastern slopes.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:59 PM

Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society on line petition:

https://action.cpaws.org/page/65675/...1?locale=en-CA

On June 1st, a provincial Coal Policy that has been in place since 1976 was rescinded by the Government of Alberta. The cancellation of the policy removed land zoning that restricted open pit coal mining and coal exploration in some of Alberta’s most environmentally sensitive areas.

These areas, which make up Alberta’s headwaters and contain habitat for federally listed species at risk such as grizzly bears, caribou, and native trout, are now being opened up for mining. They also include some of Alberta's most iconic scenic landscapes and outdoor recreation destinations.

The Government of Alberta claims that the 1976 Coal Policy was "obsolete" and that we now have more modern land use planning in place. However, this is not true. Alberta does not yet have regional land use plans for most of the eastern slopes region. Additionally, the existing South Saskatchewan Regional Plan (SSRP) does not include the zoning of highly ecologically sensitive areas or where mines can and cannot be developed equivalent to the Coal Policy. These discrepancies raise concerns that Alberta’s sensitive headwater regions will be at an increased risk of cumulative industrial impacts moving forward.

In particular, many coal agreements in the headwaters of Edmonton, Lethbridge and their surrounding communities are now open for open pit mining. The effects on water will be felt downstream by an estimated 1.4 million Albertans served by the North Saskatchewan watershed and 267, 000 Albertans served by the headwaters of the Oldman River.

While governments across the globe are striving for clean energy sources, the Government of Alberta is rolling back environmental protections and overlooking the long-term environmental, social, and economic risks.

By writing a letter to the Premier of Alberta, you can urge the government to ensure adequate protection in Alberta's Rockies and prevent the development of new coal mines. In your letter be sure to ask that no new coal mines, leases, or exploration permits be allowed until land use planning equivalent to the Coal Policy is completed across Alberta to define where coal mines are and are not appropriate, or a new coal policy is put in place.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodfisher View Post
The OP never talked about the Grassy Mountain project specifically.
I believe he was addressing the change in policy WRT coal resource extraction on the eastern slopes.
So he never stated specifically, I’m sure we both know where he was going with his post.

Most of the talk now if you mention the policy change, is Grassy. Nothing else has been talked about here lately.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:43 AM

Quote:
So he never stated specifically, I’m sure we both know where he was going with his post.

Most of the talk now if you mention the policy change, is Grassy. Nothing else has been talked about here lately.
Yes...Ram coal.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:28 PM

Court challenge;
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/morally-a...oval-1.5270331
Old 01-18-2021, 09:55 AM

Wannabe:
"I see where guys are coming from. B.C. has been polluting the waterways, killing fishing for decades. The Alberta Energy Regulator will not allow this to happen."

Really?
How is that going to happen?
Are the companies investing hundreds of millions in technology to capture the selenium. Please show me the plans
Old 01-18-2021, 01:08 PM

We need jobs. The environmental standards used today are completely safe.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:25 PM

This might help slow things down;

https://globalnews.ca/news/7584521/a...hills-rockies/
Old 01-18-2021, 05:29 PM

That's good news

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2021, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post

Really?
How is that going to happen?
Are the companies investing hundreds of millions in technology to capture the selenium. Please show me the plans

I wasn't at the environmental meetings. But the info is out there if you look for it.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Are you talking of Ram river coal?
It is still in the development stage;

https://www.ramcoal.com/assets/docs/...ber-2019-1.pdf

Be careful of what you wish for....
I'm going to say no???
I think we're talking about an area by the Oldman
Old 01-19-2021, 12:41 AM

Quote:
That’s actually just a drop in the bucket. I don’t even think it amounts to 1% of the total land that has been leased out since the old coal policy was rescinded. Kind of insulting, actually.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherdan View Post
That’s actually just a drop in the bucket. I don’t even think it amounts to 1% of the total land that has been leased out since the old coal policy was rescinded. Kind of insulting, actually.
Just enough to make the whiners shut their yaps.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:13 AM

Just trust there will be no problems from the mining...because the companies can really control the pollutants....WHAT A JOKE.

Sorry I am not going to assume Benga (or their numerous subsiduaries) will do better. Especially considering their reputation in Australia.

https://www.watercanada.net/sparwood...rinking-water/

The District of Sparwood, British Columbia has commenced work on locating a new community drinking water supply near Cummings Creek.

An Environmental Assessment Report joint submission by the District and Teck earlier this fall included the replacement of Well #3. Wells #1 and #2 remain unaffected, and Teck has agreed to reimburse the cost of constructing a replacement well and the related infrastructure. The District and Teck are taking a proactive approach to securing a sustainable independent water source not influenced by mining activities. The work is funded by Teck in consultation with the Interior Health Authority and regulations of the Ministry of Environment & Climate Change Strategy.

Sparwood Mayor Cal McDougall said, “We appreciate Teck’s Commitment to ensuring our water supply is safe from the influence of mining activities, and by going to an independent aquifer, fed from the Cummings Creek watershed, we will have the ability to meet Sparwood’s water needs into the future.”

A 2013 review of the District of Sparwood’s drinking water sources conducted by Franz Environmental Inc. found that the district’s Well #3 was under the influence of surface water, but it was unclear whether selenium concentrations were the result of surface water contamination or if they were naturally occurring.

In 2014, Teck’s coal mining operation was responsible for a fish die off as a result of pollutants entering the waterways of the Elk Valley. In October, the company was ordered to pay $1.4 million in damages as a result of the incident in which their Line Creek water treatment facility. According the Canadian Press, the company attributed the incident to “high levels of nitrite, ammonia, hydrogen sulfide and phosphorous unintentionally discharged into the water during commissioning of the facility.” The company has said that since the incident it has implemented stricter wastewater management practices.

The work to find a replacement well for the community of Sparwood will continue in 2018 with construction of the well pump station, water transmission mains along the east side of Highway 43 and up Sparwood Heights Drive to the old Ski Hill. Additional work on the south side of the Elk River will be completed near the Elk River Crossing Pedestrian Bridge up to Western Larch to ensure the District of Sparwood can transfer water from the new source to all properties on the south side of the Elk River.

Last edited by goldscud; 01-19-2021 at 06:19 AM.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:27 AM

Environment Canada recently reported selenium levels are so high in the Fording River that trout are hatching with deformed gills, fins, jaws, spines and craniums.

https://elkvalleycoal.com/teck-plant...ad-fish-found/

This is why Teck was forced to spend hundreds of millions on a water treatment plant a few years ago.
Initially the treatment plant still resulted lots of mortalities. Hopefully things are going better now.

Will Benga be constructing a $300 million facility for our waterways?????
I would love to see the plans