Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-11-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain11 View Post
Took two sets of blades from manual augers to Bill from R and R at his shop in Wabamun on Saturday. You are correct in that his Dad ran the business but passed away 3 years ago. They tried to keep it going but had to shut the shop due to covid. Anyway the set he sharpened for my auger was fine as we immediately tested on the lake. However the second set on an older 8 inch is worse than they were before the sharpening and can hardly get a bite. We were careful when removing to ensure they go back on properly and we even tried a couple of old shims but still can't get it to bite. Do you think a poor sharpening job would result in that behavior? I would hope if you are sharpening restaurant chefs knives auger blades would not be that much of a challenge. My buddy might just buy some new blades to see if indeed that solves the issue. Let us know how it goes at All Blades please.
The angle the blade is sharpened at is extremely important. If it's not done correctly the auger will not bite into the ice. It'll just spin. Some auger blades have a small "bow" to them as well. And if a blade like that is sharpened as if it were a straight edge blade, it may as well be thrown out. My Jiffy STX blades are straight, so a standard sharpening should work fine. But some of the eskimo blades in particular have that tiny Bow the requires a specific way to sharpen.

Picking up my blades today or tomorrow and should be putting them to use by mid week. I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-17-2021, 12:39 PM

Well All Blades was a *%#ing joke. Sent them 2 sets of blades, now both sets won't cut ice. Just spins , won't bite. Not impressed.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:38 AM

They can be done with a few simple props and patience, here's an excellent tutorial to check out. Curved blades are a little finickier but same principle applied, they basically need two cutting angles.

https://www.tacklescout.com/sharpen-ice-auger-blades
Old 09-29-2022, 11:20 AM

I inquired about getting some auger blades sharpened at the Hand of Gord this fall, but was informed that Gord Hymers has passed away. His son is apparently still sharpening knives, but will not be doing auger blades until 2023. Their website has not been updated to reflect this yet.

Looks like I'll be sending my auger blades to Leading Edge this year
Old 09-29-2022, 05:18 PM

Had a number of blades done at Leading Edge. Solid job on everything straight, curved, and serrated styles.