Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-15-2021, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
so how did you make out? The Duchesse and I are all ready to make our presence tomorrow...hope you saved a few gooders for us....

if weavster sets up just drill all around him...make him his own ice island and hope for high winds....yup gonna play a bit dirty.
I got a late start around 2:00. No fish landed. But I had 4 on. And I got to touch 1 in the hole before getting off. A very exciting afternoon. Tomorrows the day. I was out front of the marina.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:58 AM

Heading out. Looks like it's going to be a nice day. Pic's of fish to follow. There was a Dodge 1/2 ton out off the marina. There was 12 inches of good ice where I was at. I had a nice visit from the RCMP. Good to see them out.

Last edited by Dale S; 01-16-2021 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:31 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale S View Post
Heading out. Looks like it's going to be a nice day. Pic's of fish to follow. There was a Dodge 1/2 ton out off the marina. There was 12 inches of good ice where I was at. I had a nice visit from the RCMP. Good to see them out.
heading out too....packing up.....French bay.....top secret hole....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-16-2021, 11:54 AM

No fish so you get lunch pic's.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2021, 12:58 PM

Was out for a few hours this morning, managed to get 8 lake trout on the ice but fishing has definitely slowed down compared to a few days ago.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:36 AM

Thumbs up real cool experience....

so got out for lunch on the lake....our set up takes time to get organized and its not a run and gun type deal....sooooo after the 1hr to dig in, set up we are on them...one thing we did this time was clear all the snow off the ice and close the windows so it was black inside and we could see through the 15" of ice...well we sit about 8' apart....I got bored and switched out to the tc moto pickle but wanted to see the action it gave without the sucker belly on so I was about 5' below the ice jigging and checking it out when out of no where a 30" plus laker darts by and takes a run at my pickle...the the ol'girl reels up fast and we have a show going on as the laker darts back and forth in which we could see everything...it took the wife's moto and man did it peel off line...5 minutes or so to get it to start coming in and the line went slack....we went from a complete high to a low but after witnessing what we did we both agreed that was a heck of a thing to experience....we still caught fish but nothing like this beast....
ice hole.jpg

me.jpg

weiner.jpg

Old 01-17-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
No fish so you get lunch pic's.

that sir is a hearty meal....wife cooks on the little buddy….occasionally I will throw on a venison smokey too

Old 01-17-2021, 10:44 AM

Thanks for all the advice 58. It's been a good weekend up here. Although I haven't got 1 on the ice, I've managed to hook a few even getting 2 to the hole. It was a big learning curve for me. Figuring out my new garmin and ice fishing for lake trout. The garmin is easy to figure out, and for the money , it did what I needed it to do. I can't see how the top end ones being that much better. Not $800 more better. This is the only picture I have of a fish. The story of my weekend. I have a couple hours left. Might still happen. I'll be back for the derby.

Old 01-17-2021, 12:24 PM

If your out by the marina get further out to at least 80' or more of water....usually I fish in 140' but occasionally go to about 80' ish or in between these depths just trying to cover the various water columns depth wise...sometime the bait balls (cisco) will be at different depth depending on the day etc....I use the exact same garmin you have but use it on the split screen and once I mark fish I stay in that area trying various presentations....yesterday the jaw jacker caught nothing but was hot the few other outings....good luck.

Old 01-17-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice 58. It's been a good weekend up here. Although I haven't got 1 on the ice, I've managed to hook a few even getting 2 to the hole. It was a big learning curve for me. Figuring out my new garmin and ice fishing for lake trout. The garmin is easy to figure out, and for the money , it did what I needed it to do. I can't see how the top end ones being that much better. Not $800 more better. This is the only picture I have of a fish. The story of my weekend. I have a couple hours left. Might still happen. I'll be back for the derby.

you sure fishing shallow ,did you try deeper .
Old 01-17-2021, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
you sure fishing shallow ,did you try deeper .
I did the day before. This was off the P.P. boat launch. I walked out to where the crowd was. By noon most had moved out deeper. I only had half a day. 6 hour drive home. It will be nice when you'll be able to drive on. I can see living up there a skidoo is a must.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:38 PM

Can a person drive onto the lake from the marina with a truck ?
Old 01-18-2021, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartly View Post
Can a person drive onto the lake from the marina with a truck ?
12" plus ice...trucks have been out....I like 15"...and more...

Old 01-18-2021, 07:01 PM
Banned

I was there this weekend out from the marina and only measured 10 inches with a tape measure. Seen 1 truck that came from way out
Old 01-19-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendigo View Post
I was there this weekend out from the marina and only measured 10 inches with a tape measure. Seen 1 truck that came from way out
And that is what ya gotta respect is it is not a constant...early in the season the wife and I were in our ice tent....she measured 5" and I had 7" only 6' apart....

I sat on 15" of solid dark ice the other day and a buddy was way closer to shore had 11".....

Me I will stick to the quad for now....

Old 01-19-2021, 11:58 AM

Was out on French's bay this weekend ( Saturday ) drilled test holes from the boat launch at the campground out into 100' of water.
I drove my half ton out there. I had 13.5" of ice under my tent. Always have gone 12" as a rule with my half ton. My Grandpa's rule also.
I drilled a hole on a icy spot with no snow about 60' over and measure 18" at that spot. I had a tape measure , not guessing.
We were set up by first light ( 90 ' )and had 6 by 11am. Nothing after. all undersized and released. First time fishing this lake first time fishing Lakers. Helix 7 Sonar was picking up fish that would mildly follow the hook then leave it alone, this was after 11am. I will be going back soon with more tackle!
Old 01-19-2021, 12:00 PM

Was out on French's bay this weekend ( Saturday ) drilled test holes from the boat launch at the campground out into 100' of water.
I drove my half ton out there. I had 13.5" of ice under my tent. Always have gone 12" as a rule with my half ton. My Grandpa's rule also.
I drilled a hole on a icy spot with no snow about 60' over and measure 18" at that spot. I had a tape measure , not guessing.
We were set up by first light ( 90 ' )and had 6 by 11am. Nothing after. all undersized and released. First time fishing this lake first time fishing Lakers. Helix 7 Sonar was picking up fish that would mildly follow the hook then leave it alone, this was after 11am. I will be going back soon with more tackle!
Old 01-19-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openseason View Post
That's a good day for your first time out. Nice work.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:59 PM

I was also out around the marina area this week and had 9-10" on spots i measured. Was starting to get a little slush out there yesterday. But fishing was decent few chasers still comming in. Love the fish right now still supporting alot of the spawn colours!
Old 01-19-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:
And that is what ya gotta respect is it is not a constant...early in the season the wife and I were in our ice tent....she measured 5" and I had 7" only 6' apart....

I sat on 15" of solid dark ice the other day and a buddy was way closer to shore had 11".....

Me I will stick to the quad for now....
sorry for the confusion as this was not by the marina but in French bay....

Old 01-19-2021, 03:19 PM

We spent Friday night on the lake at French bay. I set up in 70fow and had a solid 16" under my tent. Hot bite from noon till about 2pm friday afternoon....again from about 6pm till 7:30ish....and then again Saturday morning from 6:30am till 8am. We were packed up and off the lake by 1 Saturday afternoon. Lots and lots of lazy marks and short chasers and almost every fish we iced was on the stinger....only maybe 2 that actually took the whole lure. Nothing huge most in that 22-26" range biggest was 28".
Old 01-20-2021, 12:37 PM

2 hours in the wind this morning in front of the PP.

20 Lakers topside, and plenty missed. They were ACTIVE! My reel got a workout.

Sonic Glow Cold Lake Special.
Old 01-20-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampy45 View Post

awesome! I went out but turned around as the areas I wanted to target were fully exposed to the wind...13 years in Moosejaw has me totally hating the wind...literally. Even if I get a shelter set up just the constant racket etc turns me into a mooooood….tomorrow?

Old 01-20-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
awesome! I went out but turned around as the areas I wanted to target were fully exposed to the wind...13 years in Moosejaw has me totally hating the wind...literally. Even if I get a shelter set up just the constant racket etc turns me into a mooooood….tomorrow?
AMEN! I cannot stand the wind either, best days are the dead silent ones.
Old 01-20-2021, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I would have stayed longer if not for the wind. Ha.

I was fully kitted up sitting on the quad and killin’ it, but I got tired of listening to my hood slapping off my ears a hundred times a minute.

We’re you the poor soul I saw walking with the sled?!

Couple other guys driving on, one 3/4 ton with a shack behind him and a half ton following. 😳

6-10” ice everywhere I drilled. Most places 9-10”. Measure with tape. 6” on north end of lake. Use caution out there.
Old 01-20-2021, 01:49 PM

Were coming out for the weekend. Ill being fishing the marina area. I was hoping to drive on . Sounds like its going to be a cold walk pilling the sled lol
Old 01-20-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I would have stayed longer if not for the wind. Ha.

I was fully kitted up sitting on the quad and killin’ it, but I got tired of listening to my hood slapping off my ears a hundred times a minute.

We’re you the poor soul I saw walking with the sled?!

Couple other guys driving on, one 3/4 ton with a shack behind him and a half ton following. 😳

6-10” ice everywhere I drilled. Most places 9-10”. Measure with tape. 6” on north end of lake. Use caution out there.
no I went out to French bay area but man what a poop show wind wise....might try tomorrow out off pp...how deep where you?

ohh and walking
my army days are long over...quad right now

Old 01-20-2021, 05:50 PM

Quote:

Thats awesome, fish must be fired up with this front making it's way down into the province. Was planning to be up there this week to but didnt work out
Old 01-21-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
no I went out to French bay area but man what a poop show wind wise....might try tomorrow out off pp...how deep where you?

ohh and walking
my army days are long over...quad right now
the two most productive holes we're 86 and 89 feet deep, about 100 feet apart.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:27 AM

How thick is the ice for parking a 1 ton truck at the Prov. boat launch