Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-17-2021, 08:36 AM

Default Auger Blade Sharpening

Myself and another AO member had some auger blades sets that required some TLC. Got the blades back and gave them a test out yesterday while out fishing. They cut like new, very happy. Blades were the Mora 8" cupped serrated type that came off a Strikemaster Laser. Haven't found anyone that said they could sharpen these style of blades. These folks certainly did a great job.

So anyone looking to get blades sharpened around the Edmonton area I'll give a shout out to Leading Edge Sharpening. Local small business located up near Cardiff but have some businesses in the city where you can drop off / pick-up blades. After hour drop off also. Was less than 1 week turnaround for me. Cost me $12 for the pair.

www.leadingedgesharpening.ca

Ask for Sherry
Old 01-17-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Myself and another AO member had some auger blades sets that required some TLC. Got the blades back and gave them a test out yesterday while out fishing. They cut like new, very happy. Blades were the Mora 8" cupped serrated type that came off a Strikemaster Laser. Haven't found anyone that said they could sharpen these style of blades. These folks certainly did a great job.

So anyone looking to get blades sharpened around the Edmonton area I'll give a shout out to Leading Edge Sharpening. Local small business located up near Cardiff but have some businesses in the city where you can drop off / pick-up blades. After hour drop off also. Was less than 1 week turnaround for me. Cost me $12 for the pair.

Ask for Sherry

Good to hear you had a positive experience. A buddy of mine brought a hunting knife there and said she just butchered it. So I was very hesitant on bringing my blades out there, but im glad to hear she did a good job.

I just got my blades back from All Blades on the west end, ill let you know how they preform once I get back on the ice.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:59 AM

I got myself a Work Sharp sharpener for Christmas. I did every blade I own and I'm comfortable with using it. So............I took the blades off of my ION auger and sharpened them. Looks and performs as good a job as anyone I would pay to have it done.
Old 01-17-2021, 12:39 PM

Well All Blades was a *%#ing joke. Sent them 2 sets of blades, now both sets won't cut ice. Just spins , won't bite. Not impressed.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lromanchuk View Post
Well All Blades was a *%#ing joke. Sent them 2 sets of blades, now both sets won't cut ice. Just spins , won't bite. Not impressed.
Auger blades are unlike a knife blade in that it is easy to put a sharp enough edge on to shave with but if they don't know the blades have a pitch to them that needs to be followed well no matter how sharp they are they are not going to cut ice!!
Old 01-17-2021, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
Auger blades are unlike a knife blade in that it is easy to put a sharp enough edge on to shave with but if they don't know the blades have a pitch to them that needs to be followed well no matter how sharp they are they are not going to cut ice!!
Correct. I was assured they knew what they were doing.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Ya I talked to one of the guys at All Blades also a few weeks back he said he was not comfortable sharpening my set so I’ll give him credit for being honest with me. Apparently he bought R&R’s shop equipment but said the equipment wasn’t very good and they hadn’t gotten set-up for auger blades yet.

Key is you need a burr on the bottom of the cutting edge. No burr no dice.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Ya I talked to one of the guys at All Blades also a few weeks back he said he was not comfortable sharpening my set so I’ll give him credit for being honest with me. Apparently he bought R&R’s shop equipment but said the equipment wasn’t very good and they hadn’t gotten set-up for auger blades yet.

Key is you need a burr on the bottom of the cutting edge. No burr no dice.
I'm hoping these can be repaired. 2 sets a blades at 90+ bucks a pop is not cheap.
Old 01-17-2021, 03:10 PM

The guy I take mine to in Calgary has never let me down
Old 01-17-2021, 03:11 PM

He has sharpened everything from my strikemaster blades to chain saw blades
Old 01-17-2021, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dog View Post
The guy I take mine to in Calgary has never let me down
Can you send me the contact info, or post it ?
Old 01-17-2021, 04:19 PM

Default Well

delete, saw the other post

Last edited by Puma; 01-17-2021 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:32 PM

Quote:
I'm hoping these can be repaired. 2 sets a blades at 90+ bucks a pop is not cheap.
As long as the bottom of the blade wasn’t sharpened I would think they can be restored as long as the correct angle is known. Ya $90 is bulls&$t.

Hand of Gord out of Winnipeg is supposed to be excellent. Will cost a bit to get it there/back.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:55 AM

My second attempt to get my blades sharpened was successful. Thanks for the referral Penner, dropped them off at Sherry's shop Monday, picked them up last night and easily drilled some test holes on Morinville pond.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain11 View Post
My second attempt to get my blades sharpened was successful. Thanks for the referral Penner, dropped them off at Sherry's shop Monday, picked them up last night and easily drilled some test holes on Morinville pond.
Nice, glad it worked out for you.