Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-15-2021, 05:36 PM

Default Do(Have) you own(ed) both Marcum and Vexilar?

I'm sure this has been brought up previously but....

Have you or do you own both marcum and vexilar sonars? Just looking for feedback on your experiences with both units being a dual owner. Any input is appreciated!
Old 01-15-2021, 06:27 PM

Vexilar is the king in that market and always has been. Marcum is decent when it works and not in the shop. Some work great and others not so much. Little different technology too. Vex will probably outlast you.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:07 PM

Have both. Love both. No issues with either
Old 01-15-2021, 07:10 PM

Default Flasher

I've got a Vexilar FL-20 flasher. Easy to use, works fine for my needs.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:07 PM

I've had Marcum for 9 years and love it! Mine just finally malfunctioned and I ordered a Vex lol! My reasons may not be what you think though. I ordered a Vex so I can fish beside my partner with his Vex. My Marcum gets horrible interference even with rejection on. If I was never near another sonar I would always use my Marcum. However I want to fish beside my buddy and have no choice but to switch brands. Once my Marcum is repaired, I'll use both...
Old 01-15-2021, 08:14 PM

Have both, but like mac more with dual beam and fine line.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egymcara View Post
I've had Marcum for 9 years and love it! Mine just finally malfunctioned and I ordered a Vex lol! My reasons may not be what you think though. I ordered a Vex so I can fish beside my partner with his Vex. My Marcum gets horrible interference even with rejection on. If I was never near another sonar I would always use my Marcum. However I want to fish beside my buddy and have no choice but to switch brands. Once my Marcum is repaired, I'll use both...

I see you fish a lot at cold lake. What model of vex did you buy and what model of marcum were you using on the big lake?
Old 01-16-2021, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lromanchuk View Post
I see you fish a lot at cold lake. What model of vex did you buy and what model of marcum were you using on the big lake?
I've used the LX-9 since 2012... love the camera/sonar combo. Ordered the FLX-20, couldn't justify the extra coin for the 28/30.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:50 PM

i had the marcum lx7 for 5 years . Once you use one you will not use the flasher but will use the sonar . The unit has like 4 different screens . each screen cost about $300 to have . Thats why they cost so much . The funny part is you will only use one so why not buy a unit that has one at 1/3 the cost.
The main reason i would not buy one, you can not see the screen in the day light and must be in a tent .
( and yes i have played with colours and the setting )
Old 01-16-2021, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
i had the marcum lx7 for 5 years . Once you use one you will not use the flasher but will use the sonar . The unit has like 4 different screens . each screen cost about $300 to have . Thats why they cost so much . The funny part is you will only use one so why not buy a unit that has one at 1/3 the cost.
The main reason i would not buy one, you can not see the screen in the day light and must be in a tent .
( and yes i have played with colours and the setting )
hrmm Odd, I use both my lx7 and lx9 run and gun in bright daylight and I see everything.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-16-2021, 11:59 PM

Sounds like they fixed that fault as i know a few other guys that theirs did not work our side the tent .
Old 01-17-2021, 04:54 AM

Have/had both (FLX currently and had an LX7 for a bit). LX had more bells and whistles for sure and really was a good performer. Downside is they need more juice, and while I didn't feel you needed to be in a tent the screen was definitely not as easy to see as something like an flx on a bright sunny day. Both good units although I prefer the vexilar as a stand alone flasher.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:00 AM

I am a bit of a gear junkie. I buy, use, then sell so I can try different units. I have had a few Marcums. I am a Vexilar guy. Bulletproof.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:53 PM

I have the Vexilar FLX-28. Solid performer in every situation I've ever been in. Awesome on bright sunny days. I fish usually from sunrise till after dark and the battery always has more to give. Love it!
Old 01-18-2021, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Vexilar is the king in that market and always has been. Marcum is decent when it works and not in the shop. Some work great and others not so much. Little different technology too. Vex will probably outlast you.
This is a great comment. This is my experience as well.

Marcum
(1) I bought a Marcum camera with a actual pan withing the camera head. Stopped working and Marcum was useless. The camera head also leaked including the replacement they sent

(2) I bought the Marcum LX-7. Cheap and not rugged. It broke down on me more times that I would even like to admit. Nothing but a glorified paper weight.

Vex
(1) Bought a color cam as the replacement to the above Marcum. Used for the last x years and just ended up selling it to another angler. Probably last forever for him as well. Zero issues with this cam.

(2) Downgraded to the Vex FL8 SE for a flasher. Got it on sale at the FishinHole as well. Thing is a tank. Just keeps on performing. No issues. Wayyyyyyyyyyyy less bell and whistles by far but does the basics and keeps on ticking. Glad I went this way.

Just sharing my experiences with both.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
This is a great comment. This is my experience as well.

Marcum
(1) I bought a Marcum camera with a actual pan withing the camera head. Stopped working and Marcum was useless. The camera head also leaked including the replacement they sent

(2) I bought the Marcum LX-7. Cheap and not rugged. It broke down on me more times that I would even like to admit. Nothing but a glorified paper weight.

Vex
(1) Bought a color cam as the replacement to the above Marcum. Used for the last x years and just ended up selling it to another angler. Probably last forever for him as well. Zero issues with this cam.

(2) Downgraded to the Vex FL8 SE for a flasher. Got it on sale at the FishinHole as well. Thing is a tank. Just keeps on performing. No issues. Wayyyyyyyyyyyy less bell and whistles by far but does the basics and keeps on ticking. Glad I went this way.

Just sharing my experiences with both.
I think a lot of the bells and whistles that come with lcd units really don't amount to much more fish on the ice at least that's what I find. Biggest arguments for I've seen is the dynamic zoom in the marcums along with gps in all the main brands. Dynamic zoom is pretty much pointless if you have a unit with good target separation. If there is a fish hovering your bait in full scale you best be concentrating more on your rod than watching the flasher. I barely use zoom at all in any of my flashers for that matter. Gps is handy for sure but as I've stated in the past I can use my phone just fine in winter. In fact I can take waypoints I've marked in summer on my Helix and enter them in my Navionics phone app and they are bang on. If I mark a spot on my phone the gps is good enough to get me within feet the next day.

A lot of the lakes I fish in this province I could get buy just fine without gps anyways and just reference from shoreline. Sure there is the odd time I might drill a few extra holes than the guy that's spent all summer mapping out every contour but hey I can use the exercise.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
I think a lot of the bells and whistles that come with lcd units really don't amount to much more fish on the ice at least that's what I find. Biggest arguments for I've seen is the dynamic zoom in the marcums along with gps in all the main brands. Dynamic zoom is pretty much pointless if you have a unit with good target separation. If there is a fish hovering your bait in full scale you best be concentrating more on your rod than watching the flasher. I barely use zoom at all in any of my flashers for that matter. Gps is handy for sure but as I've stated in the past I can use my phone just fine in winter. In fact I can take waypoints I've marked in summer on my Helix and enter them in my Navionics phone app and they are bang on. If I mark a spot on my phone the gps is good enough to get me within feet the next day.

A lot of the lakes I fish in this province I could get buy just fine without gps anyways and just reference from shoreline. Sure there is the odd time I might drill a few extra holes than the guy that's spent all summer mapping out every contour but hey I can use the exercise.
Makes sense. Good post.