Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-16-2016, 08:11 AM

Default Camping from tent in November?

For you guys that hunt/tent in November. I have a question and am looking for your experience to answer some questions. We have always used holiday trailers to sleep and store our stuff in. We do have a 12x14 wall tent to cook and socialize in. After last falls gong show getting the trailers out of our camping area we decided to get another 12x14 tent to sleep in. How do you guys store all the stuff you have to take with you on a week long hunting trip. Where do you store all the clothes you have to take for changing weather? What about food? How do you store your food? Keeping things from freezing and/or spoiling. With the wood stove the insides of tents temperatures vary from cool to cold to so hot you have to open the doors even in cold temperatures. What about all the extra stuff you bring along, the items you may or may not use but are grateful you have them when you need them? Keeping the cab of your truck so full of stuff you can't use it doesn't seem like a viable solution. Do you use plastic bins to store stuff to protect what's inside from the elements? Does a person get yet another smaller tent just for storage? Anyway, I think you know what I'm getting at. Your input would be greatly appreciated to make this new experience as pleasant as possible.
Thank you for your positive input.

Al
Old 04-16-2016, 08:14 AM
Gone Hunting

How many people?
Old 04-16-2016, 08:28 AM

Default november tenting

5 people
Old 04-16-2016, 08:36 AM

We use coolers with premade meals that are frozen and they sit outside. Clothes are in bags that are stored under our cots. I bring hangers and if any of my clothes are wet from the days hunt I put them on the hanger and hang from the ridge pole to dry. Things like eggs are stored in a small cooler set just outside the door against the tent under the awning. We are pretty frugal about extra gear as we have to haul from the trucks about 13 km in. No genny, etc. Some things we do double up on like coleman lanterns, but other than that we try not to double up gear.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:48 AM

For that many guys spend the extra money and go with at least a 14x16. Guaranteed you will not regret it.
Coolers for the food and drink and vegetables in a gunnysacks and keep in tent.
You might need a little more practice with your stove once you get the hang of it you be able to keep a constant temperature although this might involve getting up 3 or 4 times during the night.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:56 AM

Default Tents

Two people in a 10x14 tent is nice, you'll have room to move around.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:10 AM

First you must get organized and decide do you really need the item, you do not need to bring the kitchen sink. Next use lots of plastic tots, not the monster ones as they do not store well under cots etc. Lastly do not split your wood, have large heater and put in whole blocks, best is dry poplar/trembing aspen. It will last through night.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:02 AM

Default November tent camping

We use a 10x12 tent with a 10ft kitchen attach to the front in cold weather we use insulated construction traps over the tent and we have a custom made wood stove for heat. Works great for three people, store your stuff under your cot hang cloths on ridge pole to dry ,coolers for food . We bring in our own hard wood for the stove. The traps keep the heat more even and we use less wood, they take up more room on the trailer.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG AL View Post
For you guys that hunt/tent in November. I have a question and am looking for your experience to answer some questions. We have always used holiday trailers to sleep and store our stuff in. We do have a 12x14 wall tent to cook and socialize in. After last falls gong show getting the trailers out of our camping area we decided to get another 12x14 tent to sleep in. How do you guys store all the stuff you have to take with you on a week long hunting trip. Where do you store all the clothes you have to take for changing weather? What about food? How do you store your food? Keeping things from freezing and/or spoiling. With the wood stove the insides of tents temperatures vary from cool to cold to so hot you have to open the doors even in cold temperatures. What about all the extra stuff you bring along, the items you may or may not use but are grateful you have them when you need them? Keeping the cab of your truck so full of stuff you can't use it doesn't seem like a viable solution. Do you use plastic bins to store stuff to protect what's inside from the elements? Does a person get yet another smaller tent just for storage? Anyway, I think you know what I'm getting at. Your input would be greatly appreciated to make this new experience as pleasant as possible.
Thank you for your positive input.

Al
A 12x14 should be just big enough to sleep 5 guys without too much disarray - provided you continue to use the other tent for cooking / sitting.

I bring an ecofan for my wood stove to better distribute the heat, and I line the walls of the tent with aluminium bubblewrap to reduce heat loss through the walls.

Cold storage food stays in a good cooler and is locked up in a truck during the night. Dry goods go in plastic totes.

Alot of this stuff makes its way into the bush via a utility trailer. Between 5 guys though, you could fit it comfortably in 2-3 trucks / truck boxes with room to spare.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:30 PM

If u have room in one of the truck boxes. Take some coal to supplement the wood at night. Works great. Slow burning and lasts
Old 04-17-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dog View Post
If u have room in one of the truck boxes. Take some coal to supplement the wood at night. Works great. Slow burning and lasts
Good tip. We use two 10x12. 6 guys. Lots of room to sleep eat and cook. 6km from trucks.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:01 PM

You can take a bigger pop up dome tent and store your clothes etc in there, keeps the wall tent un cluttered and your stuff dry.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dog View Post
Good tip, but best done when a good sand layer is in the stove - coal can damage the stove base if placed directly on the metal.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:26 AM

We take the horses, so the food stays in the plastic pack boxes so I don't see what coolers and rubber maids wouldn't work the same if not better. Suppers are all made before hand, put in a vacuum sealed bags and froze. Mostly chilies, stews, casseroles. Makes for easy food to heat up over the fire or on the stove even when it's frozen. Mountain house meals for a quick fix are nice from time to time as well. Breakfast is usually oatmeal and triple smoked bacon (I'll send my recipe over). Lunches are mostly snacks. In general we just try to stay away from foods that will spoil or freeze like eggs, fruits, veggies. Most of the extra gear is stored under our cots in dry sacks. Keeps it organized and keeps the weather/moisture out.

What I like to do to regulate the wood stove heat is get a good bed of coals going, the. Place un-split medium size spruce in the stove. It burns a lot slower and not as hot as split. Usually leaves you some good coals in the morning to work with as well.

Hope to catch up soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsundance View Post
We use coolers with premade meals that are frozen and they sit outside. Clothes are in bags that are stored under our cots. I bring hangers and if any of my clothes are wet from the days hunt I put them on the hanger and hang from the ridge pole to dry. Things like eggs are stored in a small cooler set just outside the door against the tent under the awning. We are pretty frugal about extra gear as we have to haul from the trucks about 13 km in. No genny, etc. Some things we do double up on like coleman lanterns, but other than that we try not to double up gear.
I am basically the same as this but not frugal. We haul all our stuff in a 16' enclosed trailer and more times than not have 2 trucks. So misc gear that can get cold stays in the trailer as well as our frozen meals. snacks and what not we keep in the tent. With that being said we went with a 14x16.