Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-27-2020, 10:53 AM

Disappointing - Famae SG-542
The rattliest $2600 gun you'll ever buy. It's not so bad you think, you're not going to hunt with it after all. Let's go buy another mag for it; oh they're $105 each. Lovely. Oh you want aftermarket accessories? There are none. Oh you want to fire a magazine without a FTE stoppage? Haha, nice try.

Disappointing #2 - Savage MKII FV-SR
Oh cool, it's pickier than a semi auto 22lr, neat (No Blazer ). And the cheasiest mag release I've ever touched...I Should have bought a CZ

Pleasant suprise; CZ75 SP01 Shadow
Everyone talked so highly of this pistol, there's no way it's that good I though. Bought one....yep it's the first pistol I've ever bought that I didn't want to change anything on right away.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:08 AM

Surprised: TC venture. I got from wholesale sports for 280$ during the close out sale. 300 wsm , 1/2” groups at 100 meters with cheapest federal blue box ammo I could find.

Disappointed: Remington 700 adl stainless 243 win. Was just absolute junk in every aspect.
Old 11-27-2020, 03:17 PM

Had a cz in a 416 rigby with the hog back stock...and was I suprised ...I have never been pounded so hard by an I'll fitting stock ... 6shots late I put it away and the guy 2 tables down thanked me...he was starting to twitch from my muzzle blast...offered him to take a shot and he declined...bigger guy like me too
Old 11-27-2020, 05:17 PM

Disappointed: Winchester model 70 extreme weather. Barrel flutes not indexed properly, almost no primary extraction and the least accurate modern bolt action I have owned.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
Had a cz in a 416 rigby with the hog back stock...and was I suprised ...I have never been pounded so hard by an I'll fitting stock ... 6shots late I put it away and the guy 2 tables down thanked me...he was starting to twitch from my muzzle blast...offered him to take a shot and he declined...bigger guy like me too
Was that a CZ 550 stob? I had one in .416 for a while as well (took it on a trade), it would make the snot fly out of your head for sure, but I actually didn't find it as bad as you describe. Mind you, I didn't shoot it from a bench either, was shooting offhand or off shooting sticks. Never used it on game, sold it to a fellow who was heading to Africa actually.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-27-2020, 06:40 PM

Biggest surprise would have to be my 783 7mag I bought for 350.00, picked up a boyds thumbhole on sale from Prophet 175.00, shoots 140TTSX's with H4831sc into tiny little groups.
Biggest disappointment was my Christensen Traverse 300prc...that is until Corlanes spun on a warranty barrel, now it shoots berger 245 EOL's with RL33 into tiny little groups too!
Old 11-28-2020, 08:14 PM

Marlin XL7 .270 win. Purchased from wholesale 8 years ago. Shot sub moa with all factory ammo. 3/4 with handloads. I don't take anything else in the field. Was on sale for $289! So much gun for so cheap. Adjustable trigger. So good.

Stoeger M3500. Absolutely tank of a shotgun. Cycled every round over last 8 years. Takes abuse. Works hot, cold, dirty, wet, everything. Got it back when were $699.

I'll never sell either
Old 11-28-2020, 11:27 PM

Most disappointing has been my wifes 7mm-08 "lady-hunter." I bought it buying the hype that savages weren't pretty but they shot well. But it's never shot well and we've thrown a number of different factory ammo at it. I'm going to take some time and try a couple different things like double checking that there is no pressure points on the barrel and working up handloads but I'm not optimistic.

Best surprise was a Remington 700 ADL in 7mm that I got off a member of this forum years ago for a very reasonable price. It currently sits sans scope in my safe right now but it shoots shoots very well.
Old 11-29-2020, 11:19 AM

Ruger American compact 7mm-08. Surprised at the accuracy, really surprised Ruger sends these out the door with the worst clip ever put on a gun. 1000s of complaints out there.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:49 AM

Yup for sure, picked up a couple from a dispersal last week and just starting to play with them a Remington 700 ADL in 7mm rem mag, circa late 80's threw a Redfield revolution 3 x 9 x 40 mm scope on it off my bench 140gr PMC factory loads and headed out to shoot it yesterday............ wow .509" center to center 3 shot group
20201201_072154 - Copy.jpg

I also got a browning A bolt in 7mm rem mag NIB that I have to shoot yet and a Remington 700 in 300 Weatherby mag with a B&C stock on it, very light mountain rifle, anyway hope they all shoot as good as this one did.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:59 AM

Sako 9.3x62 .824 5 shot 001.jpg

One of the nicest surprises I could hope for.

Easy to load for, easy to shoot and just plain nice. 1979 Sako AV , Factory chambered in 9.3x62. Bought it off a forum member a few years ago.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:31 PM

Default surprise?

Worse? Model 788 in 243, kicked like a mule, scoped me twice, best group was 4 inches at 100, no matter what you threw into it or how you tightened the action screws

Best? My hunting partners 7 mm RM, Parker Hale, cheap plastic stock, brand X 3x9 scope, don't think he paid $200 for it. Shoots lights out 140 TTSX.
Old 12-02-2020, 04:19 PM

Worst: Remington 700 ADL bought new in.204 Ruger. Horrible accuracy with any factory or reloads. Straightened it out with a PacNor 1 in 11" twist sporter barrel and Bell and Carlson stock. Same caliber.

CZ 452 American Sporter bought new in .17 HMR wouldn't shoot from the get go. Sold a varmint version of the same that shot outstanding to buy the sporter. I have a CZ455 Amerian Sporter switch barrel .22LR and .17 HMR that shoots very well now.

Ruger 10-22 Deluxe Sporter bought new in .22LR shot very poorly but has a great looking piece of walnut on it. Also jammed with most ammo. Had to put a Shilen Sporter 22" barrel and a Timney trigger on it. Now shoots outstanding and the same magazine does not jam.

Honorable mention bad: AYA 453 SxS 28 ga bought used (Bill Hanus birdgun). Single trigger and nothing but trouble. It either wouldn't fire or would double....two 28 ga rounds (1-1/2 ounces shot) going off together will get you or your wife's attention in a 5-3/4# shotgun. Went back to Cabelas where I bought it after spending time with the AYA service center and with another SxS smith. They both told me to buy a twin trigger AYA and never look back. We did and have had zero trouble with several of them.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:13 PM

Most guns I've bought either meet, or fall short of expectations..not many exceed them. Until the last one.

Biggest disappointments

Savage 10 Predator in .243-headspace issues when brand new, sold at a loss. Was a tough rifle to find at the time, and wasn't cheap.

Chiappa Little Badger (.22LR)-after about 20 shots, the trigger decided to just do it's own thing and auto-fire. Pull was light when I first shot it (thought=score!) but then would discharge without touching the trigger. Dealer replaced it the next day on the spot, sold the replacement unfired.

Norinco Scorpio (.22LR)-the least accurate rifle I've ever owned, simply could not get this gun to shoot. Ugly/cheap...but I loved the ergonomics and didn't mind the weird/tall rear sight and bolt knob that barely protruded from the stock. Listed it for sale at a loss, full disclosure on the issues (saved a screen cap of the ad in case the buyer came calling=never did)

Ruger 10/22-bought a new one maybe 15+ years ago. Barrel was crooked (canted about 5 degrees), trigger pull a nightmare and even scoped/off a rest, couldn't reliably hit a pop can @ 50 yards. I've never shot an unmodified one that was accurate, and feel compelled to discourage new shooters from making a 10/22 their first gun.

There have been others...lol

Surprises

CZ527 Varmint-17 Hornet. Surprised at both the accuracy, and effectiveness of the caliber. It performs like people "say" 17HMR does...only it actually does it. Bought everything to reload the caliber (including a fancy powder funnel) but it shoots factory 20g Hornady under 3/4" @ 100 yards. Some groups under 1/2". Appeals to my lazy side, but I'd like to actually shoot the gun for fun, not just varmint hunt with it. For that reason, I'll start load development in the new year.

Tikka T1x .22LR (20" barrel)-I was back and forth on this one, couldn't justify the asking price considering how cheap it kind of looks. Only modification was to take out that barrel sleeve/insert thing...and put a Yo Dave trigger spring in. I've never owned a .22LR rifle that shot such a wide variety of ammo so well, and with ammo it really likes, has printed some ridiculously small groups @ 50 yards. I'm a CZ/Anschutz guy when it comes to .22s...but that T1x has been out more than any other gun since I got it. I like the mags more than CZ mags (ugly like the gun, but a pleasure to load and comfortably-sized ) and cycling the bolt is way smoother than any CZ 22 that has rolled off the line. lol I will say, it's not as smooth as the centerfires (not even close) and was a bit of a concern when I first got it. I'd read it smooths-out after a 100-200 rounds, and can say that this one certainly did.

Old 12-02-2020, 05:17 PM

Default best

Best remington 788 .243. Ugly stock but cut holes with it all day. 2nd runner up was a Jlungstrom 6.5x55. Super accurate as well with peep.
Worst, some french sxs. No matter what I did or how held my fingers at the end of the day my middle finger be beat up and size of a sausage.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:27 PM

Default She aint pretty, she just looks that way

My dad owns a Browning 243 BAR that he purchased in the early 70s (I think). Beautiful wood, nice blueing and some pretty engraving on the receiver. In the early-80s I turned 14 and couldn't wait to hunt for my first whitetail buck. My dad wasn't a hunter but he let me use his rifle and took me out on opening morning. As we were driving from our little farm to my granfather's homestead farm, we saw a nice buck feeding in a field of alfalfa. We pulled off the side of the road and I stalked to within about 50 yards of the buck. I rested the rifle on the top of the wheel move irrigation system, got the open sights centered on his chest and squeezed the trigger knowing I was about to harvest my first buck. Click! I pulled back on the action to rack another round and at this point the buck was getting pretty nervous. Click! I tried to rack another round from the magazine but this time I managed to jam the rifle and the buck snorted and took off for safer country. Despite multiple trips to the gunsmith that rifle cost my brother and I a few nice bucks over the years. Pretty rifle...so unreliable.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:34 PM

Well I took out my Mosin Nagant 91/30 sniper today first time shooting it ever since I bought it 8 years ago. Dam thing shots not too bad, actually better than some of my recently manufactured plastic stocked guns that have modern higher magnification scopes.

Can’t beat the fun to dollar factor on the 7.62x54r
Old 12-03-2020, 08:28 PM

Default Surprise guns

Best: Savage model 99 in .300 savage, date of manufacture ( according to website) is 1927? Paid $75 for it 20 years ago, It now wears an old Leopold 4x and just about anyone ( kids, newbies, whoever) can shoot 2” groups with it all day, those that practice can do ALOT better! This is despite it having very little rifling and a pitted bore? It’s the only rifle I own that I would never consider selling! Worst: also a savage 99 of newer manufacture ( with the magazine not the internal counter style) in .308, that POS wouldn’t cycle half the time, and if it did, nobody could shoot it worth a damn?! This is despite it looking brand new, both the wood and steel? This has me thinking that I should dig the old .300 out of the safe and see just how good I can do with it if I really try?
Old 12-03-2020, 08:46 PM

Best was one I unfortunately, for me, good for someone else, bought as a gift. Browning BL-22. Just a nice, well put together, balanced, fun shooting .22.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:25 AM

The worst I had was a Henry Golden Boy 22. I bought it for my son. Within 50 rounds the action was a little stiff and by 100 there were filings dropping out of the action and then it just seized. Bought it new so it did go back but it sure turned me off Henry. I replaced it with a Browning BL22, my second worst disappointment. Finicky with ammo and I didn't like the fit or action, my fault as I bought it online without handling it first. Gave it away to a friend and it's still a picky little thing.

Best is a Ruger 77/22 boat paddle. Stupid accurate and just a pleasure to shoot. I have made some ridiculous shots with it, I often say ' she just loves to kill ' LOL

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 12-04-2020, 12:49 PM

Two bad ones.
Ruger Alaskan in 416 ruger.
Action was terrible even after running with lots of oil for over 1000 cycles on the couch. Trigger was the worst I have ever had, creepy, gritty, and about 10lbs.
Custom 280AI from a well known local to Rocky Mnt House gunsmith.
I supplied a 280 rem Remington 700, got back a bell and carlson stock, with a sleeved bolt, shilen barrel and worked over trigger, that would only shoot one bullet and powder combo into less than a inch. Cost over $3000.00 Sold it eventually at a huge loss, thought I was going to wear out the barrel just trying to find a load under 1". But was told I was the problem. Total garbage for that kind of price tag.

Best was a older Remington BDL Varmint in 223, anything you shoot out of it can be covered with a dime, it is unreal.
Next best Kimber Adronidak in 308, for such a light little package, it shoots amazing. Not a bench gun, but still amazing.
Old 12-05-2020, 04:00 PM

Pleasant surprise: a very early production left hand 2013 Forbes 24B I bought about a year ago from a member here. I spent a bunch of time on line and checking with a friend that had a lefty 24B before buying the rifle. All the Forbes rifles I looked at in late 2014 through 2015 were pretty rough...not this one. It has the NULA three position safety, Timney trigger and non fluted bolt, and the action is very slick. It feeds and extracts perfectly. The stock is the excellent Forbes design. After a lot of Internet research it appears this one had the Melvin Forbes QC done.

The previous owner had KS Arms screw on a stainless #2 contour barrel in 280 Rem. I started loading it with Barnes 145 LRX and Rl26, and it shot a lot of 100 m groups in the 0.6" range. A bit of fiddling with charge weight and seating depth yielded the group in the photo.

It's basically a poor man's NULA for that I bought less than the price of any custom action. It balances and points well and is a pleasure to carry.

This year I used it to take a nice 5x5 whitetail and a 6 pt bull elk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (26.9 KB, 41 views)
Old 12-05-2020, 04:52 PM

As I mentioned before I acquired a Remington 700 in a 300 Weatherby Mag from a dispersal, gave it a good cleaning and mounted a vortex viper HS 4 - 16 x 50mm on it last night and headed off to the range this morning, it shoots great with 180gr factory loads.
300 WBM - 180 gr..jpg

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:29 PM

Pleasant surprise: a very early production left hand 2013 Forbes 24B I bought about a year ago from a member here. I spent a bunch of time on line and checking with a friend that had a lefty 24B before buying the rifle. All the Forbes rifles I looked at in late 2014 through 2015 were pretty rough...not this one. It has the NULA three position safety, Timney trigger and non fluted bolt, and the action is very slick. It feeds and extracts perfectly. The stock is the excellent Forbes design. After a lot of Internet research it appears this one had the Melvin Forbes QC done.

The previous owner had KS Arms screw on a stainless #2 contour barrel in 280 Rem. I started loading it with Barnes 145 LRX and Rl26, and it shot a lot of 100 m groups in the 0.6" range. A bit of fiddling with charge weight and seating depth yielded the group in the photo.

It's basically a poor man's NULA for that I bought less than the price of any custom action. It balances and points well and is a pleasure to carry.

This year I used it to take a nice 5x5 whitetail and a 6 pt bull elk.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Most disappointing has been my wifes 7mm-08 "lady-hunter." I bought it buying the hype that savages weren't pretty but they shot well. But it's never shot well and we've thrown a number of different factory ammo at it. I'm going to take some time and try a couple different things like double checking that there is no pressure points on the barrel and working up handloads but I'm not optimistic.
I’m not a fan of the 7mm-08 either! I’m going to try Accubonds in it next. I’m currently using Barnes and I’m definitely not a fan of Barnes bullets
Old 12-06-2020, 11:41 AM

One that surprised me was a 700 SPS in 6.5 Creedmoor.
About 2-1/2 years ago I had just gone through a downsizing of my rifle assortment and wanted something smaller than a 280AI but larger than a 243. That left a 25 or a 6.5. Didn't know a lot about the Creedmoor so I did some googling and decided it might work.
So, I grabbed a new SPS 6.5 Creedmoor from PR partly because I had a B&C short 700 stock sitting here empty and a couple aftermarket 700 triggers.
Screwed it into the B&C stock with a Timney and put an old 4-12X Leupold on top that I have had around for years. With factory 120 gr Fed Trophy Tips the first 2 shots I put through the barrel touched at 100 meters and the third shot opened the group to .520". A couple more 100M groups were well under an inch and a 200M group was 1-1/4". Not bad I thought for a junk 700 SPS that everyone loves to hate that was not even bedded into the B&C stock. As a matter of fact I had to grind some bedding material out to get the recoil lug to fit into the stock.
Should have kept it...LOL
Old 12-06-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
I’m not a fan of the 7mm-08 either! I’m going to try Accubonds in it next. I’m currently using Barnes and I’m definitely not a fan of Barnes bullets
There is nothing wrong with a 7-08... choice of platform is the problem.

IMHO it's easier to get a good group with Barnes than pretty much any other bullet I have tried- and I have been reloading for many different cartridges for 50 years.
Old 12-06-2020, 01:21 PM

My biggest surprises were my 243 savage axis (for my wife) and my Remlin 795.

The axis was very accurate (especially considering the price). If I did my part I could do 1/2” 5 shot groups @100 yards (handloads). Accurate all the way out to 430 yards, the farthest I regularly shoot. Ended up selling it because my wife wanted a bow instead.

The Remlin 795 was a total pile of junk out of the box, I was so disappointed when I took it out of the box at home. The trigger group rattled all over the place (loose fitment) the rear sight was almost falling out of the dovetail groove. I thought I made a huge mistake (I was looking for another 10/22 but at that time you COULD NOT find one anywhere, so I made a compromise). Well, I made some bushings to hold the trigger group more secure, drifted the rear sight over, went out shooting. Wow. This this is amazingly accurate. I pop gophers and magpies at 75 yards with the irons like nothing. It just stacks the bullets through a small ragged hole at 25 yards. I am really pleased with it. The only part I had to buy for it was an aftermarket aluminum trigger guard, the original one cracked. It is also amazingly reliable. I couldn’t me more pleased for $160 (at the time).
Old 12-06-2020, 01:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
Two bad ones.
Ruger Alaskan in 416 ruger.
Action was terrible even after running with lots of oil for over 1000 cycles on the couch. Trigger was the worst I have ever had, creepy, gritty, and about 10lbs.
Custom 280AI from a well known local to Rocky Mnt House gunsmith.
I supplied a 280 rem Remington 700, got back a bell and carlson stock, with a sleeved bolt, shilen barrel and worked over trigger, that would only shoot one bullet and powder combo into less than a inch. Cost over $3000.00 Sold it eventually at a huge loss, thought I was going to wear out the barrel just trying to find a load under 1". But was told I was the problem. Total garbage for that kind of price tag.

Best was a older Remington BDL Varmint in 223, anything you shoot out of it can be covered with a dime, it is unreal.
Next best Kimber Adronidak in 308, for such a light little package, it shoots amazing. Not a bench gun, but still amazing.
I think i fired that 416 twice lol
It’s not that fun from the bench
And yes the trigger still sucks
Old 12-06-2020, 06:56 PM

Biggest disappointments:
1. T/C Venture 7-08 I bought for my son. Worst functioning rifle I have ever held, the bolt was so stiff and terrible, but they shoot good right... nope, best group 1.5 inches. The rifle shot 20 rounds and was gone.

2. Ruger 77 30-06 with boat paddle stock. Kicked like an SOB and wouldn’t shoot a group under 1.5 inches

Biggest Surprise:
1. Mossberg 100 ATR, .243 I bought for my daughter. Paid $210 for it new and it just down right shot tight groups.

2. Savage mkII f heavy barrel .22. Sold my inaccurate custom Ruger 10/22 and figured what the heck, for $229 give it a try. Wow!