Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-19-2020, 06:46 PM

Default Build a Gun? or Buy a Gun

I have a Sako Finnlight 270WSM. I have been packing it around the mountains for close to 10 years. Its is getting pretty beat up.

Question is:
Do I build a gun using the Sako Action? So new light weight Stock and Carbon barrel.
OR
Do I sell the gun and just buy a Christensen Ridgeline Titanium?

Thanks
Old 11-19-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrich-55 View Post
I have a Sako Finnlight 270WSM. I have been packing it around the mountains for close to 10 years. Its is getting pretty beat up.

Question is:
Do I build a gun using the Sako Action? So new light weight Stock and Carbon barrel.
OR

Thanks
Only you can answer that question, if you like the Sako just rebarrel it, if you want something new, get the new one.
Cat
Old 11-19-2020, 06:52 PM
Banned

Quote:

Question is:
OR

Thanks
2 options for light weight carbon fiber stocks
1 is McMillan other is hi tec composites in New Zealand

Lots of barrel choices now

Bix and Andy make premo triggers for the Sakos
Or you can get a jard trigger

When it’s all said and done the sako will be lighter and probably shoot better than the Christensen
Old 11-19-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:

Question is:
OR

Thanks
Hang on to that action and build a 270 WSM x 6.5 any way that suits.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:54 PM
Banned

if you're sticking with magnum bolt face then build on it, tough to beat sako action and bottom metal/magazine imo, if you can just barrel it to PRC well...that'd be what i'd do if i still had my wizzum

100% for sale if you're contemplating standard short action downsize...don't think twice, it's gotta go when its gotta go
Old 11-20-2020, 08:46 AM

I think you’d be better off giving your Sako a make over then to get a rifle off the shelf that people already have. Makes your rifle more personal and better in my eyes then one off the shelf.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:54 AM

A build gives you a choice of barrel length and stock style and dimensions if that is important to you. If you really like the Ridgeline, and it fits you, that may not be a concern. I am not a huge fan of the Ridgeline stock, so I went with a Traverse, and I am very pleased with it. Then again, I am not a fan of ultralight rifles.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
I think you’d be better off giving your Sako a make over then to get a rifle off the shelf that people already have. Makes your rifle more personal and better in my eyes then one off the shelf.
I'd agree with this. If the Sako shoots well, why not keep it?

Would bead blasting clean up any scratching on the barrel?
Is there any way of refinishing the stock on those rifles? If not, scars are like badges of honour. Or, a new stock could be in order.

There's nothing wrong with giving proven firearm a facelift.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:40 PM

If your rifle has any sentimental value, I would build off of what you have. If you don’t care, let it go and buy new.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:44 AM

If you are going to keep it long term, build, if you plan to resell it, buy. You will never recover the build costs on a custom but you do get exactly the rifle you want. Wildcat cartridges, Ackley etc make resale much tougher. Off the shelf high end guns resell for pretty good money and sell much easier. I have a few custom builds that will never be sold so resale is not an issue but only you can decide which makes more sense.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:57 PM
Banned

Quote:

Question is:
OR

Thanks
If you have the money rebuild
Old 11-21-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:

Question is:
OR

Thanks
This is to easy to answer bud, keep the Sako Finnlight, it's been good to you then treat yourself to a new ridgeline titanium viola problem solved, your welcome

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-21-2020, 01:42 PM

One other thought I had since you said you are looking at changing because your Sako is starting to look beat up. It isn't all the expensive to get your Sako refinished, and even re-blued if needed. As long as you like the Cartridge and it still shoots well, that is the cheapest option by far.
Old 11-21-2020, 01:45 PM

I hide my Marlin 444 reblued and restocked at Coralines they did a great job

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2020, 09:11 AM

Keep or rebuild, either way that Sako action in my opinion is one of the best out there. I remember many years ago the Sako action was very popular and commonly used by custom builders.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:17 AM

Build, you’ll never buy a factory rifles as nice as your selected parts. Custom barrels are much better than any factory offerings.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Build, you’ll never buy a factory rifles as nice as your selected parts. Custom barrels are much better than any factory offerings.
X2! Plus, you will have a truly custom rifle..
There is not a factory rifle built that has the features the rifle that Bill leeper built me has, from the Keplinger single set trigger right too the half round/half octagon barrel.
Some of the features don't make it shoot and carry any better, but some sure do.
Cat
Old 11-25-2020, 04:31 PM

I would say keep the Sako 270WSM as factory setup if barrel is still good shape. If you want go with new barrel and light weight Macmillan stock or clean up your factory stock and get it camo-dipped and powder-coat or cerakote the barrel.

Building a semi-custom caliber off a Sako action is nice rig for sure to consider. I did one in 2008. I bought a new Sako 75 Greywolf 25-06 that I found on clearance sitting on a dealer's shelf , got a new barrel fluted and cut to 24" and made the rifle into a 338-06AI. Great shooting rifle with 225gr AB's and TTSX's.

I am considering doing another 338-06 off a Sako 75 but going with a Macmillan Edge stock and new lighter-weight barrel cut to 22". Should be a good shooter with 185gr TTSX's or 180gr AB's