Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-11-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberts Family Outdoors View Post
My kids and I had a fun trip last week and filled our freezer. My daughter filled her antlerless tag and I got my first whitetail buck while having my boys along with me. They were very excited! It was my daughter's second year with a tag and she's now killed 2 deer with 2 bullets and really knows what she's doing while hunting. It's a lot of fun letting her lead the way and watching her succeed. Made me overwhelmingly proud!

The story and video of our hunt is on our YouTube channel if interested...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eZtJe6yFO8
Nice pictures

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2020, 12:55 PM

way to go dad, simply awesome. great job on the vid. Our kids help bring back the level of excitement and nothing like watching their firsts hands down!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberts Family Outdoors View Post
My kids and I had a fun trip last week and filled our freezer. My daughter filled her antlerless tag and I got my first whitetail buck while having my boys along with me. They were very excited! It was my daughter's second year with a tag and she's now killed 2 deer with 2 bullets and really knows what she's doing while hunting. It's a lot of fun letting her lead the way and watching her succeed. Made me overwhelmingly proud!

The story and video of our hunt is on our YouTube channel if interested...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eZtJe6yFO8
Old 11-11-2020, 02:10 PM

^^^ Fabulous!!
Old 11-11-2020, 03:03 PM

Love all the posts in here.

You contributers sure make me excited to do some more hunting this season.
I was out around edson for a few days, saw a couple bucks but no shots.

Cant wait to post my first deer on this thread!!
Old 11-11-2020, 05:12 PM

Wonderful hunting by you all! You obviously have a wolf season to help with the game balance.
Calf moose... haven’t had for a very long time ago in one of the native villages in far northwestern Ontario. Be a hard choice between that and some of the sweet cow elk I’ve seen here.

Osky
Old 11-11-2020, 08:34 PM

kids buck, at last light.
280 rem at 180 yards hornady eldx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20201111_192450_599.jpg (54.0 KB, 643 views)
Old 11-11-2020, 08:49 PM

Default 2020 Rifle Harvest Thread

Wife’s mule deer

5 kids, busy house but we were able to get out tonight for the last hour. Wife spotted this buck in one of our spots, on the way to another one of our spots. Managed to dump the truck and get out front of him in time for a shot. 300 yd standing with sticks. 6.5prc, 156 Berger, only shot she’s fired all year, deer took 2 steps and fell on his face. Proud as hell!

IMG_3500.jpg
IMG_3502.jpg

Died of a broken heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2020, 06:52 AM

My November 11 buck. First saw him 40 yards from my parking spot before first light. Saw him again at 8 am walking along the bottom of the Coulee.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Last edited by RayL42; 11-12-2020 at 07:11 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 12:20 PM

Got my first whitetail in about 5 years. Couldn't pass up when I saw how wide he was coming towards me. Good times with some good hunting buddies.

Winchester 30.06 165gr

Old 11-12-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yidava25 View Post

Personal best fell to my new 28 Nosler yesterday. What a crazy evening
It's no secret now it will be published in Big Buck. What an awesome deer!! Congrats!

Last edited by beerhunter; 11-12-2020 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-12-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
What's with everyone covering their faces,, I don't get that.

Not everyone wants to be as public with things
Old 11-12-2020, 04:51 PM

November 8th Bull

Old 11-12-2020, 05:14 PM

I was very fortunate yesterday. Hunted this buck last year as a 180”ish deer with the archery tackle. Was only able to stalk him twice and I talked myself out of taking him. Work had me shamefully busy through Sept & Oct this year and once again, only able to stalk him twice and it didn’t happen.

I located a harem of 30 does with a mixed bag of familiar bucks on the 10th. No whopper which I couldn’t believe. Yesterday morning I checked on all those does and my boy was there. Long story short, long stalk with a pile of belly crawling, two hour wait for my shot, 301 yard poke, very cold and happy hunter. It’s been 23 years since I harvested a buck on Remembrance Day and 14 years since I took a mule with the rifle. He stretches the tape at 197 7/8”. Please pardon the picture with me quite aways behind him. I wasn’t trying to make him look bigger, just myself smaller.

Old 11-12-2020, 05:26 PM

Great photos and deer Beer.. ( say that ten times fast )
Big Lou another beauty.. almost looks like a cross buck. Used to see a few like that when I was a kid guiding in eastern Montana. Not sure if they could truly cross with white tails.

Osky
Old 11-12-2020, 05:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post

I was very fortunate yesterday. Hunted this buck last year as a 180”ish deer with the archery tackle. Was only able to stalk him twice and I talked myself out of taking him. Work had me shamefully busy through Sept & Oct this year and once again, only able to stalk him twice and it didn’t happen.

I located a harem of 30 does with a mixed bag of familiar bucks on the 10th. No whopper which I couldn’t believe. Yesterday morning I checked on all those does and my boy was there. Long story short, long stalk with a pile of belly crawling, two hour wait for my shot, 301 yard poke, very cold and happy hunter. It’s been 23 years since I harvested a buck on Remembrance Day and 14 years since I took a mule with the rifle. He stretches the tape at 197 7/8”. Please pardon the picture with me quite aways behind him. I wasn’t trying to make him look bigger, just myself smaller.

Big congrats to you Big Lou!!!!

And to everybody else! Some really nice animals here for sure.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:55 PM

Filled my WT tag today.

Passed up on a similar buck on the 1st but I only have a few more days to hunt so I took the opportunity on this guy.

I walked through some bush and bumped a doe and fawn close to a cutline, I went back to my truck and got a camping chair and my tripod and went back to the cutline to sit for the last 2 hours of legal light.

The wind wasn’t good for where I needed to be, so I set up right beside a pipeline header and line heater that leaked a bit of methane to cover my scent.

I waited about 5 minutes and grunted..... nothing. 10 mins later I ripped a doe bleat and still nothing. Another 5 mins and I hit the doe bleat again and this guy stepped out 40yds from me.

120gr TTSX out of my 7mm Rem Mag hit him high lung and he dropped right in his tracks. He kicked for 10 seconds then it was over. Perfect TTSX performance. Small hole in and out, while putting a fist sized hole in both lungs. Just turned them to mush.

A quick gut and drag back to the truck and I had my 2020 WT. I got him about 100yds from my last WT buck, and 400yds from my 5x5 I got on this exact same day 5 years ago.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Incredible bounty
Old 11-13-2020, 08:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Filled my WT tag today.

Passed up on a similar buck on the 1st but I only have a few more days to hunt so I took the opportunity on this guy.

I walked through some bush and bumped a doe and fawn close to a cutline, I went back to my truck and got a camping chair and my tripod and went back to the cutline to sit for the last 2 hours of legal light.

The wind wasn’t good for where I needed to be, so I set up right beside a pipeline header and line heater that leaked a bit of methane to cover my scent.

I waited about 5 minutes and grunted..... nothing. 10 mins later I ripped a doe bleat and still nothing. Another 5 mins and I hit the doe bleat again and this guy stepped out 40yds from me.

120gr TTSX out of my 7mm Rem Mag hit him high lung and he dropped right in his tracks. He kicked for 10 seconds then it was over. Perfect TTSX performance. Small hole in and out, while putting a fist sized hole in both lungs. Just turned them to mush.

A quick gut and drag back to the truck and I had my 2020 WT. I got him about 100yds from my last WT buck, and 400yds from my 5x5 I got on this exact same day 5 years ago.

just a wee bit over-gunned there ya? nice one

could have lined three of them up and tipped them all over with one shot lol

great thread, keep em coming
Old 11-13-2020, 07:41 PM

D K - sounds like you've got a good area there. Hopefully, it keeps producing for years to come. And, that 7mag is a top choice for a great all 'round hunting cartridge.

Big Lou - love the Predator camo....great pattern that works in a lot of situations.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:20 PM

I didn’t post my WT in this thread cuz it’s so small. I had the first week of November booked off to hunt and with my mule deer draw as the focus WT was an after thought.

With the hot weather the mule deer weren’t moving. Two days of hunting and I saw one buck. A small one. It was awful. So I needed a change up. We went to our whitetail spot to get a white tail. Needed something to change up our luck (look, I know it’s the weather I needed to change but this was my logic.)

Get to our spot 30 mins before legal light. I can see a respectable buck chasing off a small buck from a doe repeatedly. When legal light comes it’s a shot through trees and I pass and he’s gone. All I want is a buck at this point I’m not picky this year I swear.

Only does in the field now. And I keep thinking I was seeing one 500 yards off but when I would re adjust my position in the trees to see it, it’s gone. Does leave the field. I stand up to stretch and then my buddy points out a deer coming from that spot where I kept thinking I was seeing one. I look and see an antler. His head is low and it looks like he is trying to follow a scent. He’s walking towards us. I’m trying to confirm it’s a buck (antlerless is legal here too). At 300 I can see the point above his ears; I think it’s a spike. I let him come in to 250 and I shoot. He drops.

I turn to my buddy and say “I’m 90% sure it’s a buck”. He says the same thing. We laugh. As we walk up I can’t help but marvel at how small it is. I actually thought I shot a lone fawn, that’s how small he is. It was so small. But it’s a fork horn buck. I’m saddened that it isn’t a spike as I would have rather let this guy grow up. I think it would have grown to be a nice buck, 3 inch long forks. But he’s gonna taste great.

As for my luck in the mule deer hunt, I got one at last light on my last day. The temp dropped and that got them moving. The mule isn’t special, if it got to grow it would have been amazing. But I was happy and it is a great memory.

I think with this write up I added 20 pounds to this buck lol

Old 11-13-2020, 10:32 PM

This years whitey! Rattled him in and shot low first shot, just grazed his chest but blew a front leg off, caught up to him in about five minutes and put the kill shot in the neck! Was one of the better ones on my camera and only decent one I saw in four days!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DAC80AC3-AEAE-41DE-89BD-4C3D6663512A.jpg (40.0 KB, 427 views)
Old 11-13-2020, 11:03 PM

Well to end a great season I finally dropped a bull elk in Blackfoot on Wednesday. Thanks to Brendans Dad, MightyBuck, and, 3Blade for pointing me in the right direction. Was definitely a hard hunt as I was putting on 25-30km a day to hike in and check for tracks. Last day was insane with 70km and 24 hours without sleep to get it deboned and out to the nearest road by myself. Went home slept for a few hours then came back that afternoon with some help and hauled it out. Just an amazing experience, and a super hard hunt. I loved every minute of it. Also got to thank the other hunters I met out there who were great guys. One older guy Monday, and 2 crazy guys who hunted Tuesday afternoon in the blizzard. Just a great camaraderie between hunters.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 11-13-2020, 11:04 PM

Default Not a rifle doh

Undersubscribed tag filled today

Old 11-13-2020, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnme View Post
This years whitey! Rattled him in and shot low first shot, just grazed his chest but blew a front leg off, caught up to him in about five minutes and put the kill shot in the neck! Was one of the better ones on my camera and only decent one I saw in four days!

That’s a nice buck!

Old 11-14-2020, 09:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post

You put an axe head on that arrow? Wow
Old 11-14-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
just a wee bit over-gunned there ya? nice one

could have lined three of them up and tipped them all over with one shot lol

great thread, keep em coming
If Turdhead hadn’t of banned it, I would’ve been carrying my custom Stag-10 in 6.5 creed.
Old 11-14-2020, 11:36 AM

I shot this bull on Sept 19, at 10:30 am. I had been on elk all morning since I made my first call. He was glunking at a cow in the thick young poplars. I started calling at the cow and she stepped out and following her was this bull. I had called him in twice in archery season but he never presented a shot opportunity. Was a fun elk season!!

Old 11-14-2020, 04:48 PM

Nice white tail
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7172.jpg (64.1 KB, 376 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20201114-WA0001.jpg (46.1 KB, 270 views)
Old 11-14-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post

NAP FOC (Freaking Outrageous Cut) 3 inch cutting diameter. It broke through the ribs on the other side. This doe ran 400 yards with a 3 inch cut through it. 55 yard shot.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
If Turdhead hadn’t of banned it, I would’ve been carrying my custom Stag-10 in 6.5 creed.
Its a shame you don't have your Infinity tag. You could have used that military grade a$s-salt rifle that has no place in Canada for subsistence purposes.