Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-02-2020, 12:08 AM

Default Husqvara help! Value and model?

So talking a bit to a friend, about hunting rifles, and he talked a bit about selling one, and I talked a bit about buying one, so I ended up with a nice Husky in 7mm RM to peruse. He dropped the gun off, some ammunition, and I happen to be set up to reload a bit, if I have enough bullets for it. Not sure that this was a great idea, but here we are...

Doing a bit of reading on it, and the sticky it seems to be made in '65 I believe. Possibly a Crown Grade, but not sure. Serial #289XXX and a decent looking gun. Don't think there was many shells put through it, but it's been hunted and has a couple war wounds in the wood. Nice metal, and it is made like a good rifle oughta be. The wood isn't what I'd call extremely high grade, but it does have a bit of figure, at the bottom, Monte Carlo style and nice rosewood (I think) fore end cap.

Has a nice Baush & Lomb scope, and Talley ring/mounts. Nice leather sling. Missing rear sight, but a blank put in it's place. Little crack in the fore end. If I had it, I'd probably try to iron out the couple dents, and epoxy the crack from the inside, and refinish it with a satin finish, cut the butt slightly and install a grind to fit recoil pad.

He hasn't come up with a number for it, and I'm a bit nervous that I'll find it reasonable. I was hoping it was going to be a price I couldn't pass up, but the more I look at it the higher the number I imagine it'll be...

What's a decent newer Husky worth? Could use a little freshen up for the stock, but it a strong looking Mauser action rifle. Alloy floor plate, side sliding safety, and low profile button release for the bolt.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 11-02-2020, 02:58 AM

My 270 is in excellent condition i was offered $1000 for it and turned it down
Old 11-02-2020, 04:30 AM

Default Choices

For some unknown reason older husky rifle IMHO do not command a fair dollar for a Euro made rifle. Unless this one is in mint condition. I have an older one in good condition schnabel fore end in 30-06, I could not get $500 for it a couple of years ago. Perhaps a Crown Grade in 7mm might have a larger following....FS
Old 11-02-2020, 04:43 AM

My buddy had a Husqvarna 270. Beautiful looking thing. It is his pride and joy. I loved it until I shot it one time. The stock design didn't fit me well. It kicked like a mule for me anyway. I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for it.
Old 11-02-2020, 06:23 AM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
For some unknown reason older husky rifle IMHO do not command a fair dollar for a Euro made rifle. Unless this one is in mint condition. I have an older one in good condition schnabel fore end in 30-06, I could not get $500 for it a couple of years ago. Perhaps a Crown Grade in 7mm might have a larger following....FS
Same here ,had a really nice 4100 with an older 6x scope in 30-06,had a hard time getting $500.00 out of it.
The Husky stocks tended to crack between the recoil lug and mag well opening, also under the rear tangs. Other than that ,they are a good solid rifle.
Old 11-02-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalerman View Post
My buddy had a Husqvarna 270. Beautiful looking thing. It is his pride and joy. I loved it until I shot it one time. The stock design didn't fit me well. It kicked like a mule for me anyway. I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for it.
Well, I guess trying it out is the next step. He says it kicks pretty good. I can take a bit of recoil, but don't like much at all off a bench or prone.

Pureblood!
Old 11-02-2020, 06:54 PM

The rifle.

http://imgur.com/gallery/QsXelS5

Pureblood!
Old 11-03-2020, 01:44 PM

I have a model 1900 in 30-06 and it is a well built rifle with a very smooth action. I've always wanted to find one in 7mm Rem but have heard they are uncommon (If you decide to pass let me know I may be interested).

My only issue with the rifle is, as others have alluded to, the stock design doesn't help felt recoil, neither does the hard plastic butt plate. I can only handle 6-8 practice shots before I'm black, blue and green. I eventually plan to replace the wood stock with a composite with a quality recoil pad so it's more enjoyable to shoot.

That's a very nice looking rifle from the photos. With this particular chambering I wouldn't be surprised if it's valued in the $1,000 range. I have no comparables to support this value other than what I've seen while researching the history of my Husky in past years.
Old 11-03-2020, 05:18 PM

Very few husqvarnas will sell for 1K, unless they have a high value scope on them!
Old 11-03-2020, 09:05 PM

Definitely shoot before you buy. I fired one shot out of a husky 30-06 and avoided anything over 308 for more than decade. Eventually the guys on here convinced me stock design has a lot to do with it. I now hunt with a 7rm every year, but it aint a husky, and you couldn’t pay me to shoot one again.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psale63 View Post
I have a model 1900 in 30-06 and it is a well built rifle with a very smooth action. I've always wanted to find one in 7mm Rem but have heard they are uncommon (If you decide to pass let me know I may be interested).

My only issue with the rifle is, as others have alluded to, the stock design doesn't help felt recoil, neither does the hard plastic butt plate. I can only handle 6-8 practice shots before I'm black, blue and green. I eventually plan to replace the wood stock with a composite with a quality recoil pad so it's more enjoyable to shoot.

That's a very nice looking rifle from the photos. With this particular chambering I wouldn't be surprised if it's valued in the $1,000 range. I have no comparables to support this value other than what I've seen while researching the history of my Husky in past years.
Seems a bit high, but I'm not too sure. Just based on resale value of similar Husky's. I have always wanted a 7mm Rem Mag, but never owned one. Ended up with a set of reloading dies, probably from when I first bought a lot of reloading gear.

I'll keep you in mind if I pass it up; but I may end up in trouble with the wife over this one...

The stock doesn't look horribly crooked; but maybe a bit long? Have to inspect it a bit more. Haven't got around to trying it yet. I would probably end up shortening it a bit, and putting on a Limbsaver.

Pureblood!
Old 11-05-2020, 11:21 AM

http://imgur.com/gallery/yRe5uw0

Didn't realize I posted 2 pictures of the same side! D'oh! A better picture, or 2.

Pureblood!
Old 11-05-2020, 11:57 AM

U can fix a whole bunch of the hard kick on a Husky by just cutting the butt at 90 degrees and getting rid of the toe the heal slope that causes the stock to buck upwards. You don't have to take much off but it also doesn't hurt to take enough to put a lifesaver on. I have fixed quite a few hard kicking Huskies doing that.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
U can fix a whole bunch of the hard kick on a Husky by just cutting the butt at 90 degrees and getting rid of the toe the heal slope that causes the stock to buck upwards. You don't have to take much off but it also doesn't hurt to take enough to put a lifesaver on. I have fixed quite a few hard kicking Huskies doing that.
I have considered that, but if it has to be much more than a 1/4 inch difference, I think it would bother my eye.

I would probably cut about 1/2 inch off of it, or so and put a grind to fit pad on.

Maybe a little shorter.

Pureblood!
Old 11-06-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Seems a bit high, but I'm not too sure. Just based on resale value of similar Husky's. I have always wanted a 7mm Rem Mag, but never owned one. Ended up with a set of reloading dies, probably from when I first bought a lot of reloading gear.

I'll keep you in mind if I pass it up; but I may end up in trouble with the wife over this one...

The stock doesn't look horribly crooked; but maybe a bit long? Have to inspect it a bit more. Haven't got around to trying it yet. I would probably end up shortening it a bit, and putting on a Limbsaver.
Yeah that valuation is probably high, now that I see the other side of the action it looks to be a 1640 which is the predecessor to the 1900. The 1640's on Tradeex typically range from $400 to $600 but none are in as nice a stock as what you have there. The 1900's on Tradeex are anywhere between $600 and $1,000 depending on condition, caliber and scope.

I'd definitely go with a recoil pad. The only reason I haven't done so on mine is because I inherited the rifle from my Grandfather when he passed and I'd like to keep the stock original.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I have considered that, but if it has to be much more than a 1/4 inch difference, I think it would bother my eye.

I would probably cut about 1/2 inch off of it, or so and put a grind to fit pad on.

Maybe a little shorter.
As Dean says the pitch on the Husklys can make a kicker out of them!
Most of the African big game rifles are made with 0 degree pitch , BTW
Otcfiesn't take much to change the felt recoil
Cat
Old 11-06-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Also known to many as a LIMB saver recoil pad
Old 11-06-2020, 06:36 PM

Husky's arent worth much, but they are great hunting rifles. I have two 1600 carbines that convinced me to get rid of all my other hunting rifles.

One of them has a Decelerator pad, and I believe the angle has been adjusted. For a lightweight .270 its pretty comfortable to shoot. My other one is stock and the recoil is considerable, I dont get any muzzle jump but the toe really jabs me when it goes off.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
Also known to many as a LIMB saver recoil pad

Also known as the second best recoil pad out there.

Get a Pachmayr grind to fit OP. Work great and your sexy factor will be through the roof.

Winchestet Model 70's endorse this message.
Old 11-07-2020, 03:28 PM

Dont want to hijack this but I recently acquired a husky 4100 in 308, best I can get off the bench is about 6moa at 100 yards, it appears to be bedded at the recoil lug, but the forend seems flimsy, do guys full length bed them? And is there any options to improve the trigger? I'm sure the 8 miles of creep and five pound break arent helping me either, bore and crown seem to be fine

Sent from my SM-A205W using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavilion View Post
Dont want to hijack this but I recently acquired a husky 4100 in 308, best I can get off the bench is about 6moa at 100 yards, it appears to be bedded at the recoil lug, but the forend seems flimsy, do guys full length bed them? And is there any options to improve the trigger? I'm sure the 8 miles of creep and five pound break arent helping me either, bore and crown seem to be fine

I had one of those about ten or fifteen years ago. Besides being THE worst recoiling rifle I’ve ever shot it was an absolute beast to find an accurate load for. I played with pressure points under the barrel with no success. In the end I just kept looking for an accurate load and found one with RE15 and a 165 accubond that would shoot around 3/4”. Velocity was great and it was consistent. Most loads shot around 4-8” and I had to try about a dozen bullets and half a dozen powders to find a single load that shot well.

Good luck.

OP. The only husqvarna I’ve ever owned that I actually liked was a crown grade.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:32 PM

the OP's rifle is a crown grade 2.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavilion View Post

In my humble opinion, full length bedding can only improve things. Whether it does or not is another matter, as it may have an unrelated issue. But the glass bedding creates a solid, consistent, even pressure unaffected by temperatures or moisture.

I'd be tempted to try a known good scope if your stock bolts, and scope mounting is solid.

I haven't taken this one apart, but have read that the triggers are easily adjustable. May not be too tough to take the creep out, and a couple pounds off. Be sure to leave a margin of safety. Probably lots of instructional videos to help.

Pureblood!
Old 11-08-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I had one of those about ten or fifteen years ago. Besides being THE worst recoiling rifle I’ve ever shot it was an absolute beast to find an accurate load for. I played with pressure points under the barrel with no success. In the end I just kept looking for an accurate load and found one with RE15 and a 165 accubond that would shoot around 3/4”. Velocity was great and it was consistent. Most loads shot around 4-8” and I had to try about a dozen bullets and half a dozen powders to find a single load that shot well.

Good luck.

Thanks; did you find other Huskys fussy also? Crazy that it took that much to make it shoot!

Pureblood!
Old 11-08-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
the OP's rifle is a crown grade 2.
Thanks, I was curious about that.

Pureblood!
Old 11-08-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Also known as the second best recoil pad out there.

Get a Pachmayr grind to fit OP. Work great and your sexy factor will be through the roof.

Winchestet Model 70's endorse this message.
Thanks, 270. I bought a couple of the Limbsavers quite a while ago (probably were on sale), so I'm heavily invested in the company now. Just have to decide which 2 rifles don't quite deserve the very best, but need something to cushion my beating!

Next time I will look for Pachmayr.

Pureblood!
Old 11-08-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks; did you find other Huskys fussy also? Crazy that it took that much to make it shoot!
The only other husqvarna I’ve owned was a crown grade I got from my father. It wasn’t difficult to load for and didn’t beat me senseless. Not an extremely accurate rifle but it wasn’t hard to get it to shoot around an inch.

The .308 husky I had would turn my shoulder black after about half a dozen rounds. For felt recoil it was worse then the 300 ultra mags, 338 edge, 450 marlin, 45/70’s etc. that I’ve owned. It’s a horrible stock design and I never wanted to buy another one.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post

Good luck.

Both of mine are not picky about amo. They arent exactly tack drivers, but I get usable hunting groups out of every type of amo I've tried in them.

Not looking for a debate, just pointing out for the sake of accuracy, that your experience is not exactly typical... and among people who've owned Huskys neither is your opinion of them.

Your point about the recoil is not incorrect, but for a guy who I've seen remark "But then my shoulder doesnt bleed once a month" on occasion, you sure whine allot about that .308
Old 11-08-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Both of mine are not picky about amo. They arent exactly tack drivers, but I get usable hunting groups out of every type of amo I've tried in them.

Not looking for a debate, just pointing out for the sake of accuracy, that your experience is not exactly typical... and among people who've owned Huskys neither is your opinion of them.

Your point about the recoil is not incorrect, but for a guy who I've seen remark "But then my shoulder doesnt bleed once a month" on occasion, you sure whine allot about that .308
I guess that’s why I gave my experience instead of a blanket statement. It’s a sample of one, not a golden rule. It does however indicate with enough load development he may find an accurate load in spite of the fact his rifles being picky. For my rifle a pressure point under the barrel never helped. I didn’t full length bed it though.

That’s correct, I’m not recoil shy but that stock design and my physique didn’t work together. Again, my experience and mine alone. I’m not suggesting everyone else will come to a similar conclusion but for my 6’1” frame it was the worst I’ve ever shot and in a cartridge that’s typically a ***** cat.

Seems bygones aren’t bygones yet. Maybe in another ten years eh?
Old 11-08-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
My 270 is in excellent condition i was offered $1000 for it and turned it down
I'm happy to sell you mine for $1,000.