Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-27-2020, 04:19 PM

Default Unorthodox field shooting position that work for you.

I have spent quite a bit of time working on different field positions that give me superb field accuracy.

Among my favorites are while using stick or bipods in seated or kneeling positions.

Kneeling supported: I loop my sling around my shooting arm elbow and raise my right( shooting side) knee. My left knee is on the ground. My shooting elbow is rested on my knee for support. If your sling is tight it's a very stable position. My support arm is either holding the stock or under the buttstock depending on attachment of rifle to front support

My next favorite is a seated position used while calling coyotes. I sit with both legs bent ( knees up off the ground) my rifle is supported by attached Harris bipod. I again loop my sling around my shooting elbow and make sure there's quite a bit of pressure when I reach for the grip/ trigger. This pulls the gun rearward into your shoulder. My support hand is either working / holding a call or for really long shots comes in under the buttstock for added stability.

I have noticed the PRS guys have really helped out with hasty field positions and tricks for building a solid platform for quick accurate shots and keep watch and read everything I can and try to adapt for hunting situations.

Anybody else have favorite hacks or tricks for accurate hunting shooting positions?
Old 11-27-2020, 04:26 PM

I carry my Primos Triggersticks tripod. I find them a huge aid whether standing, sitting or on one knee. Being able to shoot standing is a huge advantage over a bipod, so my bipod has sat unused for several years.
Old 11-27-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I carry my Primos Triggersticks tripod. I find them a huge aid whether standing, sitting or on one knee. Being able to shoot standing is a huge advantage over a bipod, so my bipod has sat unused for several years.
I don't field hunt big game much anymore but I have done a ton of shooting off both a std tripod and trigger sticks. I have a sling that I made that has a flat bungee cord sewn into it right close to the front swivel attachment the other end has a large carbiner attached on a slider ( for legth adjustment). When I set the rifle in the tripod the carabiner is pulled and clipped to my belt loop. This tugs the gun tight down and frees up my support hand to assist holding the buttstock.

I also have a diy quad pod built for my standing hight. Crazy stable and very fast to deploy.

Another trick I use is extending one shoulder strap.of my pack to it's full length then carrying the bag cross body using just that strap. I can the quickly swing the bag under my shooting shoulder to rest the buttstock on.

Granted because I don't hunt big game much in the open anymore most of this experience as of late is in target practice or the occasional gopher shoot. I generally find these added accuracy aids to only be needed if range is longer ie 300+ or targets are really tiny.
I have certainly done my fair share of field hunting in the past but more recent years have had me perusing big game in the tight thick stuff due to permission and pressure.
Old 11-27-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
I don't field hunt big game much anymore but I have done a ton of shooting off both a std tripod and trigger sticks. I have a sling that I made that has a flat bungee cord sewn into it right close to the front swivel attachment the other end has a large carbiner attached on a slider ( for legth adjustment). When I set the rifle in the tripod the carabiner is pulled and clipped to my belt loop. This tugs the gun tight down and frees up my support hand to assist holding the buttstock.

I also have a diy quad pod built for my standing hight. Crazy stable and very fast to deploy.

Another trick I use is extending one shoulder strap.of my pack to it's full length then carrying the bag cross body using just that strap. I can the quickly swing the bag under my shooting shoulder to rest the buttstock on.

Granted because I don't hunt big game much in the open anymore most of this experience as of late is in target practice or the occasional gopher shoot. I generally find these added accuracy aids to only be needed if range is longer ie 300+ or targets are really tiny.
I have certainly done my fair share of field hunting in the past but more recent years have had me perusing big game in the tight thick stuff due to permission and pressure.
The nice thing about the Primos Tripod, is that is infinitely adjustable, and you don't have to adjust one leg at a time. I grab the handle, squeeze the trigger, raise my gun to the height that is comfortable, and the legs all lock as soon as I release the trigger. I use it for big game, coyotes an for ground squirrels.
Old 11-27-2020, 04:56 PM

If I can lean against a tree I will, or stick the rifle in the fork of a tree.
I also use a monopod as a walking staff/ shooting stick, mine is a Primos.
Mostly, I like to drop to both knees , or shoot prone if I can, otherwise I am looking at a fast offhand shot how and where I hunt.
Cat
Old 11-27-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The nice thing about the Primos Tripod, is that is infinitely adjustable, and you don't have to adjust one leg at a time. I grab the handle, squeeze the trigger, raise my gun to the height that is comfortable, and the legs all lock as soon as I release the trigger. I use it for big game, coyotes an for ground squirrels.
I have both the sitting, standing gen 2 tripods as well as tall gen 3 bipod by primos....I'm well aware of how they function. They also have a decent amount if flex/wobble in the head connection which is why when shots are further using a strap to "pull them down" aids in their performance...at least in my experience

They are generally no quicker to deploy than my quad pod and if the shot is far enough to need that kind of support a few extra seconds often doesn't matter. But like I said my use is mainly target and gophers as of the last few years..

Last edited by obsessed1; 11-27-2020 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
If I can lean against a tree I will, or stick the rifle in the fork of a tree.
Mostly, I like to drop to both knees , or shoot prone if I can, otherwise I am looking at a fast offhand shot how and where I hunt.
Cat
Do you usually sling up while offhand?. My preferred stalking slings are also shooting aids as they pull the rifle rearward quite a bit when mounted...for fast quick.shots it's surprising how accurate you can be out to 150 or so. When running the 1807 I always keep the loop big and open so I can slip my arm in....don't usually have time to snug the keepers but the sling helps a lot for keeping steady. Unsupported kneeling I use the left knee up and rest my elbow on it.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Do you usually sling up while offhand?.
Not with my falling block rifles, no.
With my bolt action rifles I have hunted with, yes.

Cat
Old 11-30-2020, 01:18 PM

Default Unorthodox field shooting position that work for you.

Pool noodle wedged onto the window of a black dodge dually. Got to shut the Cummins down to get a steady rest.
Unorthodox, but it works!

(The joke that never dies on this forum)
Old 11-30-2020, 03:48 PM

I thinking that having the different ranges etched on the side window may work .
Old 11-30-2020, 06:03 PM
Banned

https://www.fullforcehunting.com.au/...t-rifle-mount/

For the mobile ground blind
Old 11-30-2020, 06:07 PM

Anything long distance I will try to use my pack.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:03 PM

I use polecat shooting sticks, takes a bit of time to set up but I don't run and gun anymore, mostly sit and wait so not an issue, either I sit or cross-legged, and on a hill side is even better.

I use to use a bipod mounted on the rifle... but they are just a pain, to high to low. etc. and the polecats are lighter (I think) then most bipods.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Was considering using the same - do you find it's strong enough to use as a walking staff? I'm concerned I would break it, especially if I have to put sudden weight on it when tripping/stumbling.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Was considering using the same - do you find it's strong enough to use as a walking staff? I'm concerned I would break it, especially if I have to put sudden weight on it when tripping/stumbling.
Yup, it's not bad at all, one thing I would like however is a spike on the bottom instead of the rubber bumper.
I would love too be able to use a 1907/Whelan style sling on my falling blocks but the two piece stocks get too much stress put on them , and my main rifle has a barrel sling swivel on it which is detrimental to accuracy when using a sling to shoot with.
Cat
Old 12-02-2020, 09:44 AM

I used the back rest on a lawn chair to get a steady rest when I forgot my shooting stick one time.

That was back in the day of soft blinds.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-02-2020, 09:55 AM

Thanks, Cat!
Old 12-02-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Yup, it's not bad at all, one thing I would like however is a spike on the bottom instead of the rubber bumper.
I would love too be able to use a 1907/Whelan style sling on my falling blocks but the two piece stocks get too much stress put on them , and my main rifle has a barrel sling swivel on it which is detrimental to accuracy when using a sling to shoot with.
Cat
When I was using the trigger sticks on icy surfaces I drilled a hole and threaded in some field point tips..worked great and gave lots of bite....wouldn't want to accidentally set it on my foot though lol.

I have also used std trekking poles ( with clasp tighteners not the twist lock type) I use them as std walking poles but have marks for kneeling marked so I can zip it to length quick. I just slip my gun through the wrist strap and use that to support the gun. It's ok for shots to 250-300 but not stable enough for really long shots