Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-08-2020, 10:08 PM

Default Anyone shoot an animal with ELD X bullets

Hey,

My first year shooting eldx bullets out of my 7 mag and on the entrance side it does some pretty heavy damage despite the tiny hole it left and the exit was small as well. It was a lung shot behind the front shoulder but the blood shot area must have been a good 16" on the entrance side. I usually hunt with Berger's and they do little damage on impact and exit. Anyone else experience this?
Old 11-08-2020, 10:19 PM

300wm 200gr ELD-X

Dumped a bull moose in his tracks small hole in decent hole out . Posted in rifle harvest thread

Mulie doe at 339 yards. Small in small out inside mush. She spun in a circle and fell . posted same thread

Im iffy with these bullets but have worked. I think after this season ill be going to Nosler Partitions as theb180s were shooting just as good, an maybe the 200 gr PT will too Heard all of good and bad about the ELD-X. Blow up close range.. expand nice long range
Old 11-09-2020, 01:12 PM

Wife dropped her deer in early October with 150gr ELDX in her 7mm-08. Same Experience with a neck shot at about 80yds. Little tiny entrance hole and couldn't barely see the exit until we skinned the deer out.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:53 PM

Default Succes

Over the last 3 years I’ve killed two deer, 3 elk and a moose with factory ELDX rounds in various calibers. Moose was at 30 yards. One of the elk was 60 yards. I have no negative experiences.
Old 11-09-2020, 05:51 PM

Well that's good to hear, maybe it just hit a rib funny, still moose and whitetail to go maybe those will be like what you guys experienced.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:16 PM

2 bears and a mule deer buck, all 3 were planted. I am happy with the results so far.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:54 AM
Banned

I shot a moose through the neck (not my favorite shot) and a mule doe. Both were 200 yards roughly. Velocity was 2515fps approx. The moose took two steps, the doe was about 20 yards. I didn’t recover the bullet on either.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:22 AM

Have taken or seen animals taken from 20-800 yards with various ELD-X buckets from 143gr 6.5 up to 220gr .308 and they have always performed well.
Old 11-10-2020, 12:01 PM

mulie buck at 356
whitetail buck at 80 yards
whitetail doe at 120.
worked very well everytime.
Old 11-10-2020, 04:08 PM

Default Anyone shoot an animal with ELD X bullets

I have witnessed 4 animals shot with 6.5mm 143 grain ELDX. Impact velocities ranged from 2300-2650fps.

All were one shot kills, and while none were DRT, the only animal that made it past 30yds was a ram, that went just over 80yds on no lungs.

I have found the ELDX to be reliable, but would limit the 143gr 6.5mm version to medium sized game. Entrance wounds were all larger than exits, which in my limited knowledge suggests significant fragmentation, even at moderate velocity.

Basically, I believe there are better bullet options than the 6.5mm 143gr ELDX for large animals and high velocity cartridges.

I can’t speak for the other weights of ELDX, other than to say that the accuracy is impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2020, 09:42 PM

Couple muleys and a wt with 143gr. All were DRT took off the opposing leg on one at about 2800fps approx 250yrds. They shed like they were supposed to at those speeds with a smaller exit wound from the retained core. I would like to try some longer 600+ shots to see if they pedal like they are supposed to at those distances.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:08 PM

Shot a large cow moose at 80 yds. with a 200 grain in a 300 WSM.

Took two steps and tipped over. Hit a rib square on going in, completely did the job in the boiler room. Did not come out the other side.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:04 PM

I've harvested I black bear & 3 does with factory 162 ELD-X, 2 bucks with my reload 162s... They are a very devastating round but get the job done efficiently so NO tracking is required. they are my only go to round for my 7MM!

Bear I think went the farthest, of roughly 50 yards.. hit dead centre chest, entrance hole roughy 4" as it exploded on the breast bone.. all the lungs basically exited out the back... worst I've ever seen.. my buddy was almost puking it was soo insane.. but the taxidermist worked her magic & got the hide all fixed up so you can't even tell....
Old 11-11-2020, 08:23 PM

Shot two whitetails last year with an ELDX in a 25-06.

Small doe at 235 yds, ran about 40 yards and expired, minimal blood trail, as in almost none, but bullet worked.

Large whitetail buck, 105 yards, all 4 legs went out sideways, dropped straight down. It happened so quickly, I thought I had missed as it was on a slight hill. Only second time I have ever had one drop like that from something other than a spinal shot.

They worked very, very well for me.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:30 AM

I’ve taken a couple of elk with the 143’s in 6.5. They work well but I was under the impression they were a bonded bullet which they certainly are not. They work just like a Berger bullet.
They are cheaper than Berger’s but I found them less consistent so I switched back.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK Precision View Post
Hey,

My first year shooting eldx bullets out of my 7 mag and on the entrance side it does some pretty heavy damage despite the tiny hole it left and the exit was small as well. It was a lung shot behind the front shoulder but the blood shot area must have been a good 16" on the entrance side. I usually hunt with Berger's and they do little damage on impact and exit. Anyone else experience this?
Yes. Normal performance imo.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
Wife dropped her deer in early October with 150gr ELDX in her 7mm-08. Same Experience with a neck shot at about 80yds. Little tiny entrance hole and couldn't barely see the exit until we skinned the deer out.
I had the same experience but it was about golf ball on the way out through the ribs at about 60 or 80 yards. Exact same bullet.
Old 11-15-2020, 06:01 PM

2 bear and 2 wolves all bang flop
Old 11-15-2020, 06:13 PM

Antelope buck at 327 yards, 257 WM with 110 ELDX, heart shot and he did the 30 yard flat out death run and that was it.

A little blood shot meat going in but bad no exit, never did recover the bullet so don't really know if it separated or not, end result was a very dead antelope so the bullet did it's job.

I am shooting the 143 ELDX in my 6.5 PRC and hope to see what it does to a nice big WT next week, helped the boys get their cow moose and deer last week so now it's my turn

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-15-2020, 06:54 PM

My son has shot an elk and whitetail using a 6.5mm 143 grain eld-x this season. Elk was a head shot at 30 ish yards (only head shot I've ever been ok with) Dropped it in it's tracks but not surprising, any bullet would do that. Bullet didn't exit.

Whitetail was shot at around 240 yards. Bit forward in the shoulder. Bullet deflected rearwards and found it in the center of the body up against the skin. Zero blood trail, looked for quite a while but had to go back and find it the next morning. Back tracked where I assumed the buck traveled just before expiring and still no blood anywhere. All worked out good though meat was in good shape and in the freezer. Recovered bullet weighs out at just over 100 grains.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:15 AM

Loaded some .270 win with 145 ELD-Xs for a friend to use and he shot a few bears without any issues and just the other day shot a young buck with them. Hit it through the shoulder at under 300 yards and the deer died just fine but he sent me a photo of the recovered bullet. The plastic tip was gone but other than that it had not expanded AT ALL. Not sure what happened, he said it was across a wide open field with no brush or obstacles around or else I'd think he hit something before the deer and the bullet started tumbling.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Antelope buck at 327 yards, 257 WM with 110 ELDX, heart shot and he did the 30 yard flat out death run and that was it.

A little blood shot meat going in but bad no exit, never did recover the bullet so don't really know if it separated or not, end result was a very dead antelope so the bullet did it's job.

I am shooting the 143 ELDX in my 6.5 PRC and hope to see what it does to a nice big WT next week, helped the boys get their cow moose and deer last week so now it's my turn
What the heck is up with the PRC ammo shortage? Are they trying to catch up from the covid shut down. I want to buy a PRC something bad but the low availability of premium ammonia making it a tough decision.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:17 PM

Default 6 5 cm

Shot a nice elk a couple years ago with 143.5gr eld-x @300yds and it died on the spot. Lunged it, we found the bullet on against the hide on the other side. Shot a moose at 50yds this year and blew up the front end going in little exit hole I'm assuming it was because I was so close and hit higher than I wanted into the front shoulder. All in all happy with them
Old 11-27-2020, 09:30 AM

Default close range 300 wsm 200 gr eldx

This mature buck came inside the 20 yd mark. This was the exit side, I found pieces of the bullet a foot from center of main exit hole up into bottom part of backstrap. the bottom picture is also the exit hole side, I am not sure this is a fair sample lol, so any more input from everyone is greatly appreciated as i need to establish a good hunting round for turrets on my optics.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:01 AM

I know of 12 different animals ,deer, elk and Moose that were shot with ELD--X bullets in various bullet weights from cartridges in 6.5PRC, 6.5Creedmoor,708, 308, 280, 300 mag and 338 mag. None went anywhere very far if at all.
Entire, exit and internal damage results were about the same as most other bullets on the market depending on the range.
Cat
Old 11-27-2020, 10:06 AM

I like how people have dead animals resulting from an ELD-X but are looking for different options. Over the plast 4 years I’ve seen 3 bull moose, 3 bull elk, antelope, and several deer all killed with 6.5mm 143gr eldx bullets. Shots ranged from 50-350yds. If you’re a shoulder shooter than there are better choices for sure but the eldx will still work.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
What the heck is up with the PRC ammo shortage? Are they trying to catch up from the covid shut down. I want to buy a PRC something bad but the low availability of premium ammonia making it a tough decision.
Yea all ammo is in short supply, when I ordered my Christensen arms 6.5 PRC I scooped up 6 boxes of Hornady precision hunter 143gr ELDX factory loads, plus 100 ADG brass so I am in pretty good shape.

I have a load that's so so with the berger 135gr classic hunter bullet and just starting to play with the 142gr nosler accubond long range, hope I can get something that shoots as good as the hornady factory loads, man they are good, best group so far is .264" center to center.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-27-2020, 09:08 PM

I got to test it out again, mule doe was exactly 400 yards and bull moose was 457, bullet performed really well on those two. Small hole in and out little blood shot meat. Doe was a double lunger and made it about 25 yards. Moose dropped where it stood. I've always been a Berger guy but these Hornaday group just as well at distance and cheaper too so that's a bonus.