Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-26-2020, 12:02 PM

Default what fishfinder under 1000?

looking for a good si finder for under 1000, what do you guys recommend?
So far the lowrance hook2 9 tripleshot looks promising.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:16 PM

Rumour has it Lowrance is bringing out a new model to replace the current Elite TI2 sometime this fall. That means there's likely going to be some really good deals to be had on the TI2s this winter/next spring.

If you don't want to wait that long, the Elite 9 TI2 is $1350 at the TFH now, it'll be on sale for the Wall to Wall, so it's likely available today for $1080-1200 depending on the discount, but it should be 20% off, which is $1080. The Elite 9 TI2 with the Active Imaging 3in1 transducer - 2D, SI, and DI - for $1100 is a great value. The Elite TI2 is a BIG step up from the Hook2 series, it's the best bang for your buck in a 9" sonar from any brand in my opinion, especially at that sale price.

https://www.lowrance.com/en-ca/lowra...nav-ai-3-in-1/
Old 08-26-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
Rumour has it Lowrance is bringing out a new model to replace the current Elite TI2 sometime this fall. That means there's likely going to be some really good deals to be had on the TI2s this winter/next spring.

https://www.lowrance.com/en-ca/lowra...nav-ai-3-in-1/
Where is this rumour coming from? The Ti2 is a new model that just replaced the original Ti, and is doing well.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:30 PM

Here's a unit, $ 849, that has virtually every single feature and technology available to any other unit at that price point. This is, without argument, the biggest bang for your buck right now.

Ussually both Lowrance and Humminbird have comparable units - but there are periods of time where one manufacturer is a step ahead in their packages for 6 month or so - right now, Hummingbird, at this price point, is the better option.

This unit has ......

Sonar, GPS, Mapping, Live Updates, multiple card slots, Live Auto Mapping, High Def, Chirp, Side Imaging, Down Imaging, dual spectrum, switch fire and also MEGA DI imaging ........... there isn't a thing missing here that any other unit has at this price point anywhere.

Here's the description ...

NEW to HELIX 7- MEGA Down Imaging: Get unprecedented underwater clarity with coverage down to 125 feet below your boat. You'll unlock new details with up to 3X more output than standard Down Imaging sonar
• Dual Spectrum CHIRP: Before you cast, know what's down there thanks to long, well-defined fish arches, and a clear view of fish-holding structure and the bottom. Powered by proprietary, Low Q CHIRP transducer, Dual Spectrum offers two ways to search: wide mode for maximum coverage and narrow mode for maximum detail
• SwitchFire Sonar: Take command of how your sonar returns appear. With two display modes, you can add or remove detail, account for water depth, temperature and turbulence, even watch lure presentations - all at the push of a button
• Humminbird Basemap Built-in: This enhanced standard basemap provides you with a clear view of underwater terrain and surrounding points of interest so you can fish and navigate with total confidence. Identify buoys, day markers, hazards, marinas, contours, depth markers and much, much more. Includes charts of more than 10,000 lakes, plus coastal coverage for the U.S.
• AutoChart Live: Create real-time maps of your fishing spots, with access to patented Humminbird® LakeMaster® features. Map depth contours, bottom hardness and vegetation as you drive your boat, with eight hours of built-in recording time
• LakeMaster Compatible: Upgrade to the unrivaled accuracy and detail of Humminbird LakeMaster maps. From easy-to-read contours, to highlighted depth ranges and adjustable water levels, you'll have all the tools you need to make every moment count

The Humminbird® Helix™ 7 CHIRP Mega DI GPS G3 with Nav+ fish finder features MEGA Down Imaging, Dual Spectrum CHIRP Sonar, AutoChart Live, GPS and Humminbird Basemap built-in. The 7", ultra-wide display gives you ample room to view the many pre-loaded split screen view options. Includes transducer and mounting hardware, power cable, gimbal mounting bracket.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/12044...ps-g3-with-nav
Old 08-26-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
there isn't a thing missing here that any other unit has at this price point anywhere.
I'm going to argue lol.

It's missing two major things -

Touch screen. The days of the Blackberry are gone. Touch screen and the ability to customize your screen layouts and overlays are HUGE upgrades.

2D sonar quality. The Lowrance broadband 2D sonar is simply better, and when you add in the aftermarket transducers available (Airmar), there is no comparison.

Elite 7TI2 would be the same price at TFH Wall to Wall sale. For $200 more, you're into an Elite 9 TI2 with a touch screen that's 2" larger, that's a no brainer IMHO.
Old 08-26-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I'm going to argue lol.

Touch screen. The days of the Blackberry are gone. Touch screen and the ability to customize your screen layouts and overlays are HUGE upgrades.

2D sonar quality. The Lowrance broadband 2D sonar is simply better, and when you add in the aftermarket transducers available (Airmar), there is no comparison.

Elite 7TI2 would be the same price at TFH Wall to Wall sale. For $200 more, you're into an Elite 9 TI2 with a touch screen that's 2" larger, that's a no brainer IMHO.
+1 for Larry's. I bought the Elite 9 Ti when the $$ was slashed to make room for Ti2's, and I friggin' love it. TotalScan transducer kicks all kinds of ass.
Old 08-26-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I'm going to argue lol.

Agree it has no touch screen - correct.

BUT ...can you quantify the "2d sonar is better" does it operate at a different frequency? or in a frequency not available in the hummingbird? is there better target separation? speed of rendering on graphics? It seems to me, based on those 3 things they offer the same capability.

And when you say broadband, I assume you are taking about chirp? because they use the same Hz band modulations and offer the same rates of transmission (pulse).

This technology was developed outside of both Lowrance and Hummingbird 2 decades ago by the military to provide the advantages we see in our units today with clarity.

This unit does have CHIRP.

Not arguing - just asking about this so we can all learn using "objective and data driven" information.

Is there a comparison we can see? Maybe there's more to it? I dunno?

Keep in mind I have both a few series of Hummingbird and a Lowrance HDS unit ……… and I see no discernible difference there at all.

The other point is, anyone can spend the money and upgrade transducers on almost any unit ….. the op asked for a unit under $1000 - and given the fact the unit you recommended was already well above his budget and now you want to add a transducer put this far beyond the scope of the OP's original request.

Heck, if it was $1500 - then I would have another recommendation that does include a touch screen and all of those features - but that's not what he asked for - BUT yes that would make that unit much better - for almost twice the price though ….. see what I mean? (not trying to come off as sarcastic - just making a point here).

Not arguing - just asking ….

Last edited by EZM; 08-26-2020 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-26-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Agree it has no touch screen - correct.

BUT ...can you quantify the "2d sonar is better" does it operate at a different frequency? or in a frequency not available in the hummingbird? is there better target separation? speed of rendering on graphics? It seems to me, based on those 3 things they offer the same capability.

And when you say broadband, I assume you are taking about chirp? because they use the same Hz band modulations and offer the same rates of transmission. (This technology was developed outside of both Lowrance and Hummingbird and both solutions are third party in both companies).

Not arguing - just asking about this so we can all learn using "objective and data driven" information.
There are several key differences, but the single biggest factor is in how each unit goes about rendering the 2D sonar data into the image you see on the screen. That's the "black box" part of the equation that is proprietary to each OEM, and that's where the companies separate themselves.

Lowrance refers to their proprietary software for that job as "Broadband Sonar", they have for a long time now, because frankly, not much has changed in 2D sonar quality other than the addition of processing a CHIRP signal. (Which if you recall, Humminbird initially scoffed at and downplayed before realizing they needed to get onboard or get left behind.) The technology of CHIRP was developed by a third party, but how the CHIRP signal is processed is also proprietary to each OEM as I understand it. Lowrance's technology for rendering the 2D image results in better target acquisition, better target separation, and much better detail in how the sizing and color variation of objects within the water column are displayed.

Another key detail is in how the transducers ping. Lowrance pings in a single frequency (or frequency range for CHIRP) and allows the user to select that frequency. Humminbird may have adopted that in their newer models, I don't really know, but to my knowledge, the Bird units ping at both 83 and 200 at all times. Not a big deal, unless you're running multiple sonar units/transducers, and then it creates interference issues. It's also more noise in the water column at all times.

A Camaro and Corvette have much of the same technology and share many capabilities, but they are not the same when it comes to performance. Simply put, Lowrance 2D paints a better picture than Humminbird. There's really nothing bold or new about that claim, I'd day it's pretty well accepted, including among the guys I know that are diehard Bird users.

Quote:
The other point is, anyone can spend the money and upgrade transducers on almost any unit ….. the op asked for a unit under $1000 - and given the fact the unit you recommended was already well above his budget and now you want to add a transducer put this far beyond the scope of the OP's original request.
My point was a simple one. The Lowrance unit is capable of being upgraded at any time should the OP choose to. Not all sonar units give you that option, and the ability to modify or improve a product in the future matters to some people. If you're willing to spend $1000 on a sonar unit, these are things that IMHO, are worth taking into account.

On that topic, another BIG benefit of the Elite TI2 that I forgot to mention the first time around, is the ability to link it wirelessly to a second TI2 to share mapping, waypoints, trails, and 2D sonar between units.

I also believe that screen size is king, especially when it comes to getting value out of SI. If you're looking at spending $1000, you're pretty serious about sonar, and I think you owe it to yourself to see what stretching that budget by another $100 or even $200 might get you. I firmly believe you'll never regret sacrificing a couple cases of beer or a couple trips to McDonalds with the family and spending that little bit extra on your sonar unit.

Last edited by Walleyedude; 08-26-2020 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:33 PM

Agree that screen size is king - I run a 10" and a 9" screen at the helm so I can have a 50/50 split on each unit with 4 different things and they are still big enough to be clear - splitting screens any smaller doesn't give you as much detail to pick out for sure. 100% agree.

The benefit to networking you say with the Elite units exists with every mid range and up unit on every brand and manufacturer. The Birds work in networks with Minn kotta i-pilot and i-pilot link, cannon downriggers, other bird units, and can also be upgraded too - so that's a benefit of any unit over, say, $400 to be honest I think. they also share maps, transducers, trolling motor control, downrigger jogging, deployment, and, of course maps, waypoints, i-pilot tracks, live mapping, etc...

I also use a Lowrance HDS9 unit for additional maps (and chirp). That only comes out on new lakes where community maps exist for my reference. Usually that unit stays unplugged (see comments below) - but not because it isn't a great unit. It is top notch. It just doesn't network with my bow unit, my minnkota, my i-pilot link like all the other stuff does.

And, both units units use the same frequencies BTW (which is the main issue with interference). That's why it's rare that you can run both at exactly the same time and look at them exactly at the same time on the same target.

I also had them on a toggle switch for the transducers - and compared them that way too.

And not to discount what you are saying here because maybe some cheaper units can't process the image (rendering software) as quickly - that's not the case between the Lowrance and the Humminbird - they are both top notch units with outstanding rendering software.

BUT I have used both on my boat at the same time and I will tell you, they are absolutely and nearly identical side by side, real life, right in my boat, with my own eyes.

Thermoclines, two fish stacked tightly together, bait balls, algae in water, foliage and weeds on bottom - they are equal (as long as the sensitivity is matched of course).

I did this several times, to do exactly that, compare the two, to see if or which unit I wanted to use for what and which one was better. I even tested this to 400+ feet of water and it's the same. In deep water you have to toggle transducers back and forth as there is a 100% chance of interference (at least on my boat).

Either way - both are good units - but neither the Lowrance or the Bird is "better" based on what I'm seeing - maybe you have other data, and I'm open and respectful of your knowledge, but, I'm pretty well versed and have specifically experimented with this stuff on my boat and have never seen this proven to be otherwise. I haven't.

Either way, good discussion.

Last edited by EZM; 08-26-2020 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:49 PM

Dont buy Hummingbird I heard that for repair you send to usa.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcbarker View Post
Dont buy Hummingbird I heard that for repair you send to usa.
That is incorrect information.

There are authorized repair dealers in every province (probably one in every major city).

There is one in Edmonton, one in BC and one in Quebec that I know of.

The one in Quebec is also a warranty and replacement dealer as well.

https://www.fishntech.com/humminbird_asc.html
Old 08-27-2020, 04:12 AM

I’ll nitpick a bit myself.

Lowrance and humminbird aren’t even on the map for the best 2d sonar and yes there is a difference between middle and top tier. Furuno owns that market and is found on almost every commercial and charter boat in the salt. The options on their sonar and their processing technology leave the other two mentioned dead in the water. Even their better non chirp 2d sounders give up nothing to any chirp sounder mounted on a boat.

That said, on a lake in the shallow water your fishing and for the species most of you are fishing lowrance and humminbird do just fine. Personally I could take or leave touchscreen. I’ve got both and I couldn’t care either way. Bigger screen size is always better but the lowrance units I’ve been around have horrible resolution and have always been pixilated. The HDS7 on my boat is horrible and is a dedicated chart plotter/NMEA gauge pack these days. I absolutely hate it but it works for what I’m using it for. My old helix 7 gave much clearer picture then any lowrance I’ve owned or seen.

I don’t think anyone has better down imaging then humminbirds mega down imaging. That’s my opinion from what I’ve seen and read. Might be incorrect.

Haven’t played with side imaging much but I think raymarine owns that market from what I’ve seen. Their processing speed is unrivalled and the entire axiom pro line looks very good but three times the price the OP is looking to spend.

If I were the OP I would be looking at Garmin or humminbird but that has a lot to do with my personal dislike of lowrance/simrad.

My humminbird looked like this. Nice clean arches, target separation and worked just fine for 2d sonar in a lake finding suspended fish.

My lowrance looks like this, some shallow and deeper shots. Pixilated like a 1985 Atari. This is running a 600w airmar transducer.

My small furuno also running a 50/200 600w airmar. One of these days I’ll get a better 1 kw transducer to get some better resolution and depth capability but it works fine out to the 350m I fish in.

And a black marlin harassing some slimy mackerel on a Garmin. That ones not on my boat but they’re a very popular option with a 1k ducer live baiting marlin from the shallows like this out to the shelf. Where I’m fishing if they aren’t running a furuno it’ll be a Garmin and guys swear by them. Inshore a guy could run the factory ducer and be perfectly happy.

Old 08-27-2020, 07:42 AM

I have been looking at garmin as well, this is awesome information and discussion so far.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
And, both units units use the same frequencies BTW (which is the main issue with interference). That's why it's rare that you can run both at exactly the same time and look at them exactly at the same time on the same target.
It's not the fact they're using the same frequencies, it's how the transducers are pinged. Lowrance allows you to ping a single frequency, ie 83 or 200, or low, med, high chirp, or in the case of an Airmar, any custom frequency you want.

Your Bird is pinging both 83 and 200 at all times, that's why you're getting that interference.

As an example, I have 3, sometimes 4 transducers pinging on my boat at all times. I'm running 200, high CHIRP, 105, and generally 83 or low CHIRP. I don't have interference issues unless I'm running 200 and high CHIRP on two transducer side by side, and even then, it's not really an issue.

As another side note, and something that is only available on Lowrance units (HDS Gen 3 or newer), is the ability to use "Live Sonar". I can view any transducer connected to the network at any time on any sonar unit, and the real kicker, I can view any two transducers side by side at the same time. That might not seem like much, but I love it. It's a big advantage for fishing structure, and for having both a wide and narrow cone for finding and targeting fish.

Quote:
And not to discount what you are saying here because maybe some cheaper units can't process the image (rendering software) as quickly - that's not the case between the Lowrance and the Humminbird - they are both top notch units with outstanding rendering software.
I don't think rendering speed is an issue, it's about quality.

Quote:
BUT I have used both on my boat at the same time and I will tell you, they are absolutely and nearly identical side by side, real life, right in my boat, with my own eyes.

Thermoclines, two fish stacked tightly together, bait balls, algae in water, foliage and weeds on bottom - they are equal (as long as the sensitivity is matched of course).

I did this several times, to do exactly that, compare the two, to see if or which unit I wanted to use for what and which one was better. I even tested this to 400+ feet of water and it's the same. In deep water you have to toggle transducers back and forth as there is a 100% chance of interference (at least on my boat).

Either way - both are good units - but neither the Lowrance or the Bird is "better" based on what I'm seeing - maybe you have other data, and I'm open and respectful of your knowledge, but, I'm pretty well versed and have specifically experimented with this stuff on my boat and have never seen this proven to be otherwise. I haven't.

Either way, good discussion.
I've done the same, and bounced back and forth in a lot of boats with different sonar setups and guys who know what they're doing and have their sonars setup properly. Without fail in my experience, the Lowrance units produce better 2D results. Garmin is second, Humminbird is third.

Now, if you want to talk SI, I'd give the nod to Bird's Mega without a doubt, but the new Lowrance Active Imaging closed the gap considerably.

At any rate, beyond some technical specs, it becomes subjective, and I guess it really boils down to the eye of the beholder.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I’ll nitpick a bit myself.

Lowrance and humminbird aren’t even on the map for the best 2d sonar and yes there is a difference between middle and top tier. Furuno owns that market and is found on almost every commercial and charter boat in the salt. The options on their sonar and their processing technology leave the other two mentioned dead in the water. Even their better non chirp 2d sounders give up nothing to any chirp sounder mounted on a boat.
They aren't intended to be. Humminbird doesn't chase the salt market, and Navico (Lowrance) has the Simrad and B&G lines for the salt market.

Quote:
Personally I could take or leave touchscreen. I’ve got both and I couldn’t care either way. Bigger screen size is always better but the lowrance units I’ve been around have horrible resolution and have always been pixilated. The HDS7 on my boat is horrible and is a dedicated chart plotter/NMEA gauge pack these days. I absolutely hate it but it works for what I’m using it for. My old helix 7 gave much clearer picture then any lowrance I’ve owned or seen.
Everyone is different, but for most people, once you've used the touch screen, it's REALLY hard to go back to buttons.

What year is that 7"? Looks like a Gen 1 HDS, maybe Gen 2? Pretty unfair to compare today's screens to 10 year old technology. Screen resolution on today's sonar units is largely a wash between all of the major brands, the specs are all essentially identical, so to suggest the Lowrance is inferior is simply inaccurate. In fact, the only standout is the HDS Live series. The HDS Live screen quality, resolution, brightness, and viewing angles are unquestionably a notch above the competition. They're also well out of the OP's desired price range.

Quote:
My humminbird looked like this. Nice clean arches, target separation and worked just fine for 2d sonar in a lake finding suspended fish.
No offense lol, but I find it hard to take anyone seriously when they have the Fish ID turned on LOL.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:37 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I like the fish ID on.....kinda makes it into a videao game...entertaining between bites...thx for sharing the information as I am looking to upgrade just don't need all the bells and whistles...7"screen and that down imaging stuff...

HELIX 7- MEGA Down Imaging...?...maybe a possibility...might wait until someone upgrades to take advantage of the savings...don't always need new.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-27-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:

As another side note, and something that is only available on Lowrance units (HDS Gen 3 or newer), is the ability to use "Live Sonar".

What do you mean when you say "only available on Lowrance" units "live sonar" …….. every single sonar or ice fishing flasher unit is capable of, and has live sonar.

That's what sonar is, the signal and sent and received at the speed of sound (virtually in a fraction of a second).

Every single sonar fish finding unit, even $49 units built in china have live Sonar …..and have had it for 50+ years
Old 08-27-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
What do you mean when you say "only available on Lowrance" units "live sonar" …….. every single sonar or ice fishing flasher unit is capable of, and has live sonar.

That's what sonar is, the signal and sent and received at the speed of sound (virtually in a fraction of a second).

Every single sonar fish finding unit, even $49 units built in china have live Sonar …..and have had it for 50+ years
I was referring to Live NETWORK Sonar. It's Lowrance jargon for the ability to view any transducer on the network, on any sonar on the network, at any time, as well as the ability to view multiple transducer sources on the same sonar unit at the same time.

I'm not sure why you think I'd make such a ridiculous claim, apparently you have a pretty low opinion of me lol. If you read the rest of that paragraph, it should have been pretty obvious that I wasn't referring to sonar being "live" or a real time display of the sonar signal on the screen, but I guess I should have been more specific.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I was referring to Live NETWORK Sonar. It's Lowrance jargon for the ability to view any transducer on the network, on any sonar on the network, at any time, as well as the ability to view multiple transducer sources on the same sonar unit at the same time.

I'm not sure why you think I'd make such a ridiculous claim, apparently you have a pretty low opinion of me lol. If you read the rest of that paragraph, it should have been pretty obvious that I wasn't referring to sonar being "live" or a real time display of the sonar signal on the screen, but I guess I should have been more specific.
Fair enough.

But you are mistaken. You may not be aware of this but the birds do that too for any/all units networked - it's been that way since they introduced the network hub/port back about 15+ years ago.

I can get the minnkota transducer, or any of the three transducers, from any unit, on board "live" to any one of my networked units.

That's not exclusive to Lowrance.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Fair enough.

But you are mistaken. You may not be aware of this but the birds do that too for any/all units networked - it's been that way since they introduced the network hub/port back about 15+ years ago.

I can get the minnkota transducer, or any of the three transducers, from any unit, on board "live" to any one of my networked units.

That's not exclusive to Lowrance.
Man, I really have to be on my game with you. You're a stickler lol.

The part that's exclusive to Lowrance is the ability to view two sonar sources, on a single sonar unit, at the same time. IE, I can look at my bow mount transducer and my transom mount transducer, side by side, at the same time, on the same screen, or view two sonars on the transom, running at different frequencies, side by side, at the same time, on the same screen. Pretty awesome technology. I'd love to seen them expand it so you could run 3 or 4 at the same time.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:

What year is that 7"? Looks like a Gen 1 HDS, maybe Gen 2? Pretty unfair to compare today's screens to 10 year old technology. Screen resolution on today's sonar units is largely a wash between all of the major brands, the specs are all essentially identical, so to suggest the Lowrance is inferior is simply inaccurate. In fact, the only standout is the HDS Live series. The HDS Live screen quality, resolution, brightness, and viewing angles are unquestionably a notch above the competition. They're also well out of the OP's desired price range.

No offense lol, but I find it hard to take anyone seriously when they have the Fish ID turned on LOL.

The inshore year doesn’t get a pass from me for its inferior technology just because it wasn’t built for the salt. It still doesn’t have the tech built into it that other brands are using. I would accept it’s because they’re built for the average user who doesn’t need the adjustability and tech that discriminating users want.

Yes it’s a gen 2 and yea I think it’s a 2012 or 2013 model. I’ve fished with some newer units and they still haven’t impressed me. It should be dead simple for you to show some of your screen shots to prove your position.
The bird I had was 5-6 years old as well and a heck of a lot less pixilated then the HDS7.

The fish ID is a fair point but I was at the back of the boat running downriggers and driving with the ipilot remote. I wanted the little symbols to be able to see them from 8’ away. It’s a straw man argument so you’ll have to do a little better then that.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Man, I really have to be on my game with you. You're a stickler lol.

The part that's exclusive to Lowrance is the ability to view two sonar sources, on a single sonar unit, at the same time. IE, I can look at my bow mount transducer and my transom mount transducer, side by side, at the same time, on the same screen, or view two sonars on the transom, running at different frequencies, side by side, at the same time, on the same screen. Pretty awesome technology. I'd love to seen them expand it so you could run 3 or 4 at the same time.
Again, and not to go in circles, and I'm not trying to argumentative here, but, with all do respect, you may not be familiar with all the technology here with the Birds ….

Using my Humminbord Onix Unit, which is 10 years old, I can view my SI transducer, AND my 2d high def, both resident to the Onix, AND My switch-fire transducer, from my 999, AND my minnkota US2 transducers on the same screen, real time, live.

4 sources, 4 different transducers, originating from 3 different units and transducers. I am sure I could add a 4th source, like my bow mount unit as well (if I added yet another transducer somewhere).

I was able to do that in 2013 when I installed these units on day one. That's nothing special.

Don't take my work for it ..... see it for yourself ...…

Networked, the Humminbird owner can control, view, operate, deploy and retract, the minnkota trolling motor, a shallow water anchor like the talon, a cannon downrigger, use I-pilot controller for gas kicker, or any of the sonar units, any transducer, from ANY networked head unit ………. LIVE

Things like live mapping, pre set tracks, waypoints etc.., obviously, are included in that same bundle of compatible products.

see it for yourself ….

https://www.humminbird.com/learn/one-boat-network

Like I have always said, both are good brands with a solid reputation of innovation and quality products. What you choose should depend on what each person wants or needs and what their budget may me. But there is no way anyone can say one unit is better than the next in all areas - as both companies leap frog each other with cool new innovations we all benefit from. (and spend more money on I guess)-lol.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:55 PM

Ok I will not be running 2 or more units, and I'm mainly interested in the side and down imaging aspect.
Old 08-27-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
The inshore year doesn’t get a pass from me for its inferior technology just because it wasn’t built for the salt. It still doesn’t have the tech built into it that other brands are using. I would accept it’s because they’re built for the average user who doesn’t need the adjustability and tech that discriminating users want.
You're free to compare apples to oranges, though I'm not sure what the point of it is.

We could all spend 10X what the OP wants to spend and run Furano or B&G units on southern AB puddles, but that seems kinda ridiculous.

Quote:
Yes it’s a gen 2 and yea I think it’s a 2012 or 2013 model. I’ve fished with some newer units and they still haven’t impressed me. It should be dead simple for you to show some of your screen shots to prove your position.
The bird I had was 5-6 years old as well and a heck of a lot less pixilated then the HDS7.
I never take screen shots, I've never really seen the point of it, so I honestly don't have any. I'll grab a few next time I'm out. In the meantime, the internet is FULL of them, all anyone has to do if they're curious is Google it and they can see for themselves. And no, I'm not going to do that and post internet pics here.

Quote:
It’s a straw man argument so you’ll have to do a little better then that.
Relax, it wasn't meant as an argument, just poking a little fun lol.

Last edited by Walleyedude; 08-27-2020 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-27-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Again, and not to go in circles, and I'm not trying to argumentative here, but, with all do respect, you may not be familiar with all the technology here with the Birds ….

Using my Humminbord Onix Unit, which is 10 years old, I can view my SI transducer, AND my 2d high def, both resident to the Onix, AND My switch-fire transducer, from my 999, AND my minnkota US2 transducers on the same screen, real time, live.

4 sources, 4 different transducers, originating from 3 different units and transducers. I am sure I could add a 4th source, like my bow mount unit as well (if I added yet another transducer somewhere).

I was able to do that in 2013 when I installed these units on day one. That's nothing special.

Don't take my work for it ..... see it for yourself ...…

Networked, the Humminbird owner can control, view, operate, deploy and retract, the minnkota trolling motor, a shallow water anchor like the talon, a cannon downrigger, use I-pilot controller for gas kicker, or any of the sonar units, any transducer, from ANY networked head unit ………. LIVE

Things like live mapping, pre set tracks, waypoints etc.., obviously, are included in that same bundle of compatible products.

see it for yourself ….

https://www.humminbird.com/learn/one-boat-network

Like I have always said, both are good brands with a solid reputation of innovation and quality products. What you choose should depend on what each person wants or needs and what their budget may me. But there is no way anyone can say one unit is better than the next in all areas - as both companies leap frog each other with cool new innovations we all benefit from. (and spend more money on I guess)-lol.
Well, I learned something today. I didn't realize Bird had that tech.

Is it only available in the Onix/Solix line? I have basically zero experience with those units, everyone I know is running Helix, and granted it's been a while, but they didn't have that tech at the time.

The integration of every imaginable component on a single network that is offered these days is pretty incredible. I'll admit to being a bit of a luddite when it comes that stuff though. I've got it all, but I find that I rarely use it. I have a few sonar screens/setups that are my go to's, I drop the trolling motor in, and I fish. Just a rod in one hand and a remote or a tiller handle in the other.

Last edited by Walleyedude; 08-27-2020 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-27-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Well, I learned something today. I didn't realize Bird had that tech.

Is it only available in the Onix/Solix line? I have basically zero experience with those units, everyone I know is running Helix, and granted it's been a while, but they didn't have that tech at the time.

The integration of every imaginable component on a single network that is offered these days is pretty incredible. I'll admit to being a bit of a luddite when it comes that stuff though. I've got it all, but I find that I rarely use it. I have a few sonar screens/setups that are my go to's, I drop the trolling motor in, and I fish. Just a rod in one hand and a remote or a tiller handle in the other.
The Helix and the legacy 800 and 900 are able to do the Live network. only really old (or super cheap entry level) units can't do it. It's pretty much the "standard" now I think.

But yeah, I have all this technology on the boat, and use half of it maybe. You are right, even with my I-pilot link, and all that connectivity, but my remote is what I actually use anyways too …. lol

The one thing I do, which is pretty cool, is I drop my trolling motor down (minn-kota) and it will live maps (from that front trolling mount transducer) as I'm cruising a shoreline and I can set it to "follow contour 14ft" (on a different transom transducer) and it will steer me along, as it maps and saves, and keeps me right on the drop off as I go. Live mapping, 30 feet in front of you, as you build a track for an area you have never explored before, and no need to steer, ……….that's pretty cool for a lazy guy like me ………..fishing for hours, being on target, and not steering once.

After that you have the track saved, and the map in the unit forever.

The only complaint is you get complacent and trust it too much and you need to pay attention to where you are going as some people like to anchor and fish right on your path …… yikes …. lol …. ask RAVYAK about his little kayak and my boat coming at him …… lol ….. poor guy.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:31 AM

Walleyedude, how do you know Low6 will replace the Elite ti2 soon?

I have been researching for one in the $1000-1500 price point. Wouldn't oppose more if it was getting me that much more.

Mainly want it for auto mapping and side imaging but still want good 2d. 9 inch screen would be nice.

Garmin looks good but I hear their side imaging is not as good. Humminbird looks good but gets very expensive if you want larger screen. Not brand loyal. Looked at Lowrance and Raymarine also. Not much info on the Raymarine. Seems like they all have their weaknesses. Want to get 5+ years out of it so don't want an old model unless killer deal.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmbreeze View Post
Walleyedude, how do you know Low6 will replace the Elite ti2 soon?

I have been researching for one in the $1000-1500 price point. Wouldn't oppose more if it was getting me that much more.

Mainly want it for auto mapping and side imaging but still want good 2d. 9 inch screen would be nice.

Want to get 5+ years out of it so don't want an old model unless killer deal.
There's a fair bit of talk about it on a number of forums I'm on.

The TI2's came out in 2018, so not super old, but Lowrance does seem to replace/upgrade on a 2-3 year cycle, so something new for 2021 makes sense.

I think you can easily get 5+ years out of any of the electronics being offered these days before they're "obsolete" so to speak. The newest model with the latest and greatest tech is always nice to have, but electronics advance so quickly, you'll be constantly chasing it. Who knows what Lowrance will introduce to replace the TI2, but it'll likely be an evolution, not a revolution. The TI2s are great units, and if they go on sale for a big discount, I wouldn't hesitate to grab one.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:51 AM

I think the best thing to do is go out and look at them, consider what else you need to buy ….like zerolines cards for the Bird or the live imaging transducer for the Lowrances (if it doesn't include one).

map card for both - as pre loaded maps - let's be honest - are limited in this part of the world.

Add it up "all in" and pick the best unit at that time.

You are not going to see a HUGE difference between the brands in the end - and take it from me - a guy that runs both and had for years - either brand will work equally well for what 99% of us are doing without any discernible advantage or disadvantage.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I think the best thing to do is go out and look at them, consider what else you need to buy ….like zerolines cards for the Bird or the live imaging transducer for the Lowrances (if it doesn't include one).

map card for both - as pre loaded maps - let's be honest - are limited in this part of the world.

Add it up "all in" and pick the best unit at that time.

You are not going to see a HUGE difference between the brands in the end - and take it from me - a guy that runs both and had for years - either brand will work equally well for what 99% of us are doing without any discernible advantage or disadvantage.
All the major brands - Lowrance, Humminbird, Garmin offer multiple packages and options when it comes to adding SI, DI, Mega, LiveScope/Livesight, 360, 3D, etc... It depends on the package, and the small details of how each of them bundles things together, but they're all priced accordingly, and in general, the prices will be very similar when comparing them directly option for option.

Looking at the "all-in" price for the options you want is great advice, it's the only way to get a true apples to apples comparison.