Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2020, 04:41 PM

Default Outboard Prop

Ok I live in Calgary and maybe want to get a new prop for my Yamaha 150 HDMI 2 Stroke. Got a couple of irregular grind marks on mine. Aluminum 14.3 21P. Do I go with a different pitch, different size blade or maybe stainless which is big $$$$$. Or just get it repaired. Repair is about 30 less than new. What have others done depending on severity of damage of course?!
Old 08-04-2020, 05:26 PM

Only change your prop dimensions if you want to change your motor's performance, props can get you better hole shot, better top end or better fuel consumption. You can get improvements but typically you trade off A for better
B.
Aluminum props can loose pitch when spinning due to it being aluminum, stainless won't flex. This may not be an issue though if you are running low HP.

If it was me, I'd get a new prop and have your current one refurbed to carry as a spare.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:10 PM

Agree with what Jahad has stated in post #2.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:31 PM

One thing to possibly consider is that aluminium will cause less damage to you gears and shaft in medium strike with an object, vs stainless steel. Stainless is not as forgiving as aluminium.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:46 PM

I have never been a fan of stainless props for the same reasons mentioned above. If you boat, you are going to run over a stick or two and hopefully avoid a bigger log but when that happens with a stainless prop, your trip can be over. Not because you will spin your hub, (most hubs are designed to spin before you shred your spline and gears) but because whatever you hit gets pushed into the skeg as the stainless prop will not give - she will shred and shoot whatever it hits.

Aluminum will bend, break and warp if you hit stuff, but won't cause massive damage to your lower unit. Back to shore, a swap out for a spare and you are back and on the lake in 20 minutes.

Stainless will perform better, they are stiffer, will give you better hole shot and top end - BUT let's be real, a stainless may take a boat like mine from like 48-49 mph to maybe 52-53 mph ......... and that's irrelevant to me. I use a low pitch prop for better holes shot, and control anyways. I have already made the sacrifice in favor of performance that actually counts. Speed boating isn't one of them.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:48 AM

Stew at Prop Masters in Airdrie can refurbish your prop and sell you a new one.
https://prop-masters.com/