Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-10-2015, 05:10 PM

Default Lake trout fly fishing

I have a trip planned to the Yukon this year for the end of may/start of June. I have done a ton of research on catching lakers on the fly at this time of year while they're chasing bait fish in the shallows and what not. I was just wondering if anybody on here has person experiance targeting lakers on the fly and what worked for you, lines, flies, rod weights etc. thanks for any help!
Old 02-10-2015, 05:42 PM

Give up, not worth it.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:45 PM

I have caught lakers on the fly fast sink tip 3ft leader and heavy flies. Use patterns that you would target bulls with double bunnies, clousers, or any other baitfish pattern in the 3-5inch size. White, chartreuse, purple, yellow, and black with lots of flash white was top colour.

Did this with my 7wt lakers I caught ranged from 2-10lbs.

No pro at it but I caught lakers
Old 02-10-2015, 05:58 PM

When I went to the east arm I caught lakers anywhere from 5-24lbs, I used an 8wt rod with a 30 foot sink tip line with 20lb mono for a leader. Anything big with white and blue worked great. I fished around the drop offs around the islands
Old 02-10-2015, 06:36 PM

Ok thanks for the feed back! Basically what I had in mind but just wanted some reassurance
Old 02-10-2015, 07:29 PM

Is there going to be a lot of open water in the Yukon at the end of May? You would be surprised how effective fly fishing for Lake Trout can be when they are in the shallows. White, blue and chartreuse streamers have worked best for me. In most cases a sinking line isn't necessary but it completely depends on where you are fishing and what the structure is like. Where I am (East Arm of Great Slave), Lake Trout can be caught in 4-10 FOW all season long, so I prefer not to use sinking line. One of these days I will get them to hit dry flies! lol

I use an 8 wt but I am targeting large fish. I personally wouldn't go lighter than a 7wt. Those cold water Lakers fight harder than anything else I have ever caught.

Have fun!

Guidelife
Old 02-10-2015, 07:41 PM

The year I was at Kluane in SW Yukon the ice went out June 11. The lakers there had lots of color like the one in this picture. Great surprise. Where are you headed?
Old 02-11-2015, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuideLife View Post
Is there going to be a lot of open water in the Yukon at the end of May? You would be surprised how effective fly fishing for Lake Trout can be when they are in the shallows. White, blue and chartreuse streamers have worked best for me. In most cases a sinking line isn't necessary but it completely depends on where you are fishing and what the structure is like. Where I am (East Arm of Great Slave), Lake Trout can be caught in 4-10 FOW all season long, so I prefer not to use sinking line. One of these days I will get them to hit dry flies! lol

I use an 8 wt but I am targeting large fish. I personally wouldn't go lighter than a 7wt. Those cold water Lakers fight harder than anything else I have ever caught.

Have fun!

Guidelife
There should be, it's been a warmer winter (as in only two weeks of -40, not two months). The research I've done on guides websites usually say they start up around then. If not, there are the river systems which should thaw sooner and if that doesn't happen, it still will be great to get up there regardless! Thanks for the info as well, helps a guy plan better for sure!
Old 02-11-2015, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
The year I was at Kluane in SW Yukon the ice went out June 11. The lakers there had lots of color like the one in this picture. Great surprise. Where are you headed?
That's a great looking fish! Those colours are unreal. I'm headed up to Whitehorse to stay with a friend I met in university this year. Don't have specific water bodies planned out yet. Depends on his work schedule and if we can get access to a boat
Old 02-11-2015, 09:03 AM

I lived in Whitehorse for a few years.

South of Whitehorse, approx 80 km's, on the Alaska highway, take the Atlin lake turnoff or Hwy 8. If you take that road and continue past the Atlin Lake road (keep going west), you will find Tagish River which is the river connecting Tagish Lake and Marsh lake. The river flows north into Marsh lake which then becomes the headwaters of the Yukon River.

Anyway, if you drive west from the Atlin lake corner, you will drive over the Tagish River bridge - I'd guess 40-50 km's off the Alaska hoghway. Early in the year, Lake Trout and Grayling will be in the river. There are a number of locals that will fish right off the bridge and have some success. I always launched my boat there as it was the first open water in that country and went north to fish Marsh. Would usually catch good numbers with the occassional hog. Marsh gets quite a bit of pressure as there are quite a number of cabins on the lake and thus, the lake receives a fair bit of pressure.

I always found that fishing Lakers in the Yukon was hit and miss in early spring as they are spread everywhere around the lake. June they start going a bit deeper, but unlike Alberta, the thermocline never really gets deeper than 40-45 feet. The lakes there are deep mountain lakes and are always cold.

Tight lines......
Old 02-11-2015, 09:27 AM

Two other suggestions if you are driving to the Yukon:

First, a must stop on the drive IMO - is the Liard Hot Springs. Most beautiful natural hotsprings I have ever seen in my life. The spring comes right from an underwater fault and is the start of the river - a must see. I will NEVER drive past this gem without a quick stop. Approx 500m walk from the parking lot. I believe 700 kms or so south of Whitehorse. One of the only areas in Canada that have naturally occuring Orchids due to the climate created by the springs.

Second - Teslin lake which would be approx 180 km's south of Whitehorse is home to many lakers. On the north end of the steel bridge, just west of the highway - right across from the gas station, is a boat launch. You will launch in the tributary of the Nisutlin river which then flows into Teslin Lake. The water coming from this river will be muddy. If you travel directly south of the launch - closer to the south end of the bridge, find the mud line and fish in anywhere from 15 to 50 feet of water and there will be both Lakers and Inconnu (Shee fish). The launch is so close to good fish, you can get in a fish and get off within a few hours. Again, a stop I would not forego if driving up there again.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetiseeker View Post
Two other suggestions if you are driving to the Yukon:

First, a must stop on the drive IMO - is the Liard Hot Springs. Most beautiful natural hotsprings I have ever seen in my life. The spring comes right from an underwater fault and is the start of the river - a must see. I will NEVER drive past this gem without a quick stop. Approx 500m walk from the parking lot. I believe 700 kms or so south of Whitehorse. One of the only areas in Canada that have naturally occuring Orchids due to the climate created by the springs.

Second - Teslin lake which would be approx 180 km's south of Whitehorse is home to many lakers. On the north end of the steel bridge, just west of the highway - right across from the gas station, is a boat launch. You will launch in the tributary of the Nisutlin river which then flows into Teslin Lake. The water coming from this river will be muddy. If you travel directly south of the launch - closer to the south end of the bridge, find the mud line and fish in anywhere from 15 to 50 feet of water and there will be both Lakers and Inconnu (Shee fish). The launch is so close to good fish, you can get in a fish and get off within a few hours. Again, a stop I would not forego if driving up there again.
Unfortunately I am not driving, would love to buy with the price of flights with air north it just doesn't make sense to drive. I did look into the tagish river bridge you mentioned in the previous post, only question I had was how do you land fish? Do you have to try to climb down? I ready it's 60 feet across so that's a lot of line to give a fish if you get into something big. Thanks for all of the advice, I really appreciate it!
Old 02-11-2015, 12:38 PM

^^by 60' across I meant 60m haha
Old 02-11-2015, 02:03 PM

Tagish bridge deck is probably 25 feet or so above the river.

I am assuming by your response you will be on foot - IOW - no boat.

When you catch one, probably easiest to walk the 100 feet or so down to the boat launch north west of the bridge.

If you are on foot, another bridge they fish off of is the Bennett Lake bridge - I've seen lots of fish between the two bridges - another 60 kms west in the town of Carcross. Drive into the town site and you can't miss the two bridges. Fish off the western bridge and you should see decent numbers.

You can also hit the river coming out of Kusawa lake - Tahkini River - holds grayling right at the campground half way in to the lake (forget the name). There is a steep bank and a holding pool right there.

And lastly, check out Otter falls, on the way in to Aishihik Lake - west of Whitehorse - Grayling and an indigenous strain of Rainbow trout. Nothing real big, but good numbers.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetiseeker View Post
Tagish bridge deck is probably 25 feet or so above the river.

I am assuming by your response you will be on foot - IOW - no boat.

When you catch one, probably easiest to walk the 100 feet or so down to the boat launch north west of the bridge.

If you are on foot, another bridge they fish off of is the Bennett Lake bridge - I've seen lots of fish between the two bridges - another 60 kms west in the town of Carcross. Drive into the town site and you can't miss the two bridges. Fish off the western bridge and you should see decent numbers.

You can also hit the river coming out of Kusawa lake - Tahkini River - holds grayling right at the campground half way in to the lake (forget the name). There is a steep bank and a holding pool right there.

And lastly, check out Otter falls, on the way in to Aishihik Lake - west of Whitehorse - Grayling and an indigenous strain of Rainbow trout. Nothing real big, but good numbers.

Boat is a possibility but nothing confirmed as of yet so just want to make sure I have lots of options, thanks!

Where I am staying is only a few Kms from the Tahkini River just north of Whitehorse so I imagine I will be fishing there quite a bit. Correct me if I am wrong, but there are also pike in there right?

I really appreciate all this info, it will definitely make my trip more enjoyable!
Old 02-11-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief16 View Post
Boat is a possibility but nothing confirmed as of yet so just want to make sure I have lots of options, thanks!

Where I am staying is only a few Kms from the Tahkini River just north of Whitehorse so I imagine I will be fishing there quite a bit. Correct me if I am wrong, but there are also pike in there right?

I really appreciate all this info, it will definitely make my trip more enjoyable!
Go for inconnu; tarpon of the north. I used to catch'em on yellow glow bugs under a bobber. The more they look like a corn kernel, the greater the chances of getting an eat
Old 02-11-2015, 08:32 PM

Chief,

I just moved down from the Yukon and there's no way of telling when the ice will be out on the lakes until June comes around. It'll all depend on weather for the rest of the winter and knowing the Yukon it could be -30 or colder for two or more weeks in March. By this time most of the rivers will be open and the water will be low. There's tons of pike up there and May/June can be a great time to fish for them because they're fairly aggressive as they are spawning in the spring time. You could fish for pike right on the Yukon river by Walmart, shallow water perfect for pike. If you want to fly fish for lakers you're going to want to go for a hour or so drive outside of whitehorse.

Tagish bridge is a good spot for lakers but it can be very hit or miss depending when the lakers are swimming from Tagish to Marsh lake. Most people without a boat fish off the bridge and winch the lunkers up or walk over to shore. Although its shallow through there it's pretty wide and the deep part of the channel is located in the middle.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonRed View Post
Chief,

I just moved down from the Yukon and there's no way of telling when the ice will be out on the lakes until June comes around. It'll all depend on weather for the rest of the winter and knowing the Yukon it could be -30 or colder for two or more weeks in March. By this time most of the rivers will be open and the water will be low. There's tons of pike up there and May/June can be a great time to fish for them because they're fairly aggressive as they are spawning in the spring time. You could fish for pike right on the Yukon river by Walmart, shallow water perfect for pike. If you want to fly fish for lakers you're going to want to go for a hour or so drive outside of whitehorse.

Tagish bridge is a good spot for lakers but it can be very hit or miss depending when the lakers are swimming from Tagish to Marsh lake. Most people without a boat fish off the bridge and winch the lunkers up or walk over to shore. Although its shallow through there it's pretty wide and the deep part of the channel is located in the middle.
Thanks I appreciate the info! Unfortunately my tickets are already bought and will be going then. We did plan on targeting pike as well. Honestly just getting up there and seeing new wilderness will be worth it even if the fishing is limited