Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-07-2020, 02:44 PM
Banned

I have an older strikemaster auger works like a charm frills twice as fast as newer other augers, my old man runs a 10inch jiffy it can be temperamental at times if you let it warm up it’s decent, you couldn’t give me an electric one I’ve seen them die on the lake than it’s “can you you drill me a hole” maybe they don’t smell like gas but I’d take that knowing I’m gonna be able to cut through 2ft of ice and fish for the day, I’ve also seen a cordless drill try to cut through 8 inches of ice that was brutal too, I’ll stick with my gas auger there’s a reason they build them
Old 01-07-2020, 02:59 PM

Agreed, heavier? Yes. Can have issues running properly? Yes, but as long as you are somewhat handy you can usually fix what ails them, out on the ice. I have no experience with electric augers at all, nor have I fished with anyone that uses one, I will say I AM curious to compare!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2020, 03:03 PM

*edit*

I'll take a StrikeMaster 40v every day and twice on Sundays over anything else. It's the absolute best auger on the market, AINEC.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:04 PM

As in I’m hijacking this thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2020, 04:07 AM

Husquavarna 10" Big $$$. But she's if not lighter than an electric she's damn close, cuts fast, and with a 42" flight, extension has not been needed only came close once deep snow, shovel fixed that.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetalker View Post
Husquavarna 10" Big $$$. But she's if not lighter than an electric she's damn close, cuts fast, and with a 42" flight, extension has not been needed only came close once deep snow, shovel fixed that.
Husky hands down build quality and engineering is second to none. I owned one for many years now in a 10”. I cut a ton of holes in a season. Trouble free, super lite. Not sure they are making augers for NA anymore unfortunately.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
*edit*

I'll take a StrikeMaster 40v every day and twice on Sundays over anything else. It's the absolute best auger on the market, AINEC.
Quantify that?
Old 01-08-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Quantify that?
I will Quantify your Quantify

BW
Old 02-04-2020, 10:37 AM

Default ice auger

really like my eskimo propane
Old 02-04-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrenjos View Post
I had to replace my fuel hose this fall, but since that, has been running like a dream. Just need to get my blades sharpened and I'll be back to new again...otherwise, my Jiffy Pro4 Propane has been a phenomenal purchase ($275 open box deal from Canadian Tire)
Old 02-04-2020, 08:49 PM

See they have ion on sale for 599 at peaveymart
Old 02-04-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrenjos View Post
My first ice auger was an eskimo . 25 years ago . Was wondering that auger would drill first hole beautiful . Then the blades would get a coat of ice on them and nothing . Just spin . Have they fixed that? Cheers
Old 02-07-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo1969 View Post
See they have ion on sale for 599 at peaveymart

I picked up the Ion X display model for $559. They didn't have the box but had everything else. I was wanting to get the Eskimo propane but this seemed like a good deal. I'm only worried about if they will still make a replacement battery in the future.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:36 PM

You can find an 8" jiffy used for $200- 250.
It will last you for the rest of your life and never fail to start.
A 10 " gives you a bigger hole to look down but that is the only advantage.
With a 10" some fish will be able to turn around and get off.
Battery technology is not yet there to make the $800 IONs as good as a gas powered auger.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I have owned a couple different brands of gas augers over the years. The complaint for me was dripping leaking gas and oil mix.

Had a Eskimo Z71 10" which would cut a hole so fast it practically pulled you down through it but with that huge motor on top, and all that torque, if she bound up you would get tossed like a rag doll. I'm a big, heavy brute so it didn't bother me much. Like Chuck Norris but without the silly moustache and mullet.

I bought the Eskimo propane a few years ago and am extremely pleased with it. Spin on a 1lb propane cylinder, flip the switch and one light pull and she is purring. Sure, she doesn't smoke out the neighbours to show them who's the boss, nor does she rag doll all of your little friends who try and wrestle her ....... but she cuts a fine hole.

She also doesn't stink, spill or become temperamental like my drunk uncle at a barvitzma.

She's a beaut.
I purchased your Z71 and I use 10 or 8 inch as appropriate. She's a one pull starter and cuts through like you were walking on water.
No regrets. No plans to replace. 25-50 holes a day. Can't tell you enough about jaromir auger
Old 02-10-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Eh View Post
I purchased your Z71 and I use 10 or 8 inch as appropriate. She's a one pull starter and cuts through like you were walking on water.
No regrets. No plans to replace. 25-50 holes a day. Can't tell you enough about jaromir auger
Jaromir Auger. Love it!
Old 02-11-2020, 12:24 AM

I'm loving my Eskimo P1 Rocket 10". So easy to start and use, no smoke and lots of power. Never owned a gas auger but used friends lots, very glad I went with propane.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:35 PM
Banned

I wanted to try out a propane powered Eskimo to keep the mess down and the logistics simple, it would be the same bottles that go in the heater. I ended up with a gas one for now. I'm not ready for electric just yet but agree it is the way of the future. My concern is my new to me Eskimo 33cc Stingray isn't going to hold up super well over time with cutting 10" holes. The Kijiji deal was worth it regardless and works well enough but I wonder if the strain is going to kill it quicker?