Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-07-2016, 10:13 PM

Default Outside the Suffield Base Elk Hunt_2016

I think I should be able to draw the first season this year. Like to hear some advise from those of you who drew the same tag last year. Please chime in ONLY if you have sound/genuine advise.

Yours in good hunt'n,

CH
Old 06-07-2016, 11:07 PM

I drive around the south and west sides of the base. Saw lots of herds of cows and raghorns in mid to late November. Little bit of pressure inside the base will move them off the base.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:06 AM

if it's anything like last year the FN hunters will have all the good bulls dead before the first season opens, you will find some smaller bulls and lots of cows off the base. If you have access to a jet boat to hunt the river you might have some luck there but I've heard through the rumor mill the FN guys plan on hunting that area hard this year also... Good luck, there are many areas in AB that I would use my priority on before I hunted the area around the base again.

Jim...
Old 06-08-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter1234 View Post
if it's anything like last year the FN hunters will have all the good bulls dead before the first season opens, you will find some smaller bulls and lots of cows off the base. If you have access to a jet boat to hunt the river you might have some luck there but I've heard through the rumor mill the FN guys plan on hunting that area hard this year also... Good luck, there are many areas in AB that I would use my priority on before I hunted the area around the base again.

Jim...
Could not agree more, heard the natives are hitting it mid august along the river to get cranker velvets. I would not waste my priority 8 on that hunt. No way no sir.
Better on base hunt 3 day chip shot with a priority 1. Used to be a staple to get a 330 plus bull. USED to be.

But on a lighter note, it is a million miles of country, look for foot access only places(hope for lazy ppl), there are a lot of animals on base and the rut does crazy things though.

RDH

Good luck on your quest.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
Could not agree more, heard the natives are hitting it mid august along the river to get cranker velvets. I would not waste my priority 8 on that hunt. No way no sir.
Better on base hunt 3 day chip shot with a priority 1. Used to be a staple to get a 330 plus bull. USED to be.

But on a lighter note, it is a million miles of country, look for foot access only places(hope for lazy ppl), there are a lot of animals on base and the rut does crazy things though.

RDH

Good luck on your quest.
Id agree with this. Its not the hunt it use to be. Jet boat is a good idea but you can do it without, get foot access around the river. If you are looking for a 310 bull you can do it in a couple weeks id say but its going to be tough to get a 350" bull.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:48 PM

What about the Jan. 1 hunt? Any better?
Old 06-08-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrackdreams1973 View Post
What about the Jan. 1 hunt? Any better?
Not from what i know of. Outside base first season still your best shot. Hunted before the whole gongshow started and we mangaged a 370" bull. Took 2 weeks straight.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:07 AM

Thanks Bighorn. I thought it might be different being private land. Do you think much will change with the 2 added zones starting this year?
Old 06-09-2016, 09:58 AM

We spent the better part of a month down there last year and it was extremely disappointing. I'd be honestly looking at some of the other zones where the elk numbers are decent, it'll be a much better experience.
If you go down there don't expect anything spectacular as far as hint experience or animal quality. A 300" bull would be a realistic expectation if you plan a couple weeks out. If you don't have any preconceived notion of FN 'hunting' you will come away from it with some very strong opinions.
Honestly I would look elsewhere, even with a jet boat it is not a great hunt. We ran into FN on the river as well last year so there isn't a place you can get away from it.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:

Jim...
elkhunter1234 and i shared intell as we both had the same hunt last year. We both seen tons of barren land due to the FN going in ahead of everyone else. We were hoping for a chance(like everyone who applies) at a good one and did end up with yummy elk in the freezer but the monsters and good bulls were far and few. Only crankers i seen were from the river banks looking into the base and they were a long way away. Fn really cleaned house outside of the base last year. Bulls, cows and calfs from what the land owners and other hunters told me. One would have to hope that more moved off the base during the spring and summer and have replaced the herds that were wiped out that lived on the east side.

In the end, it was a fun hunt for me & my son who joined me, hunting in some truly great country, met some great guys and got my first bull elk so I don't regret using up my high points. Wonderful memories and new friends made. I would love to hunt elk there again one day but the lure of a big boy would not be the reason.

1st or last season would be my advice, last season you better hope for cold temps and a frozen river.

Last edited by Sooner; 06-09-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:52 AM

Hey Sooner, I'm at p5 this year. Going for the Jan. 1 hunt. If cold and river is frozen is a better hunt I understand. The FN still around then? Or they all ready have it screwed up early season and it's done for the year?
Old 06-09-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Hey Sooner, I'm at p5 this year. Going for the Jan. 1 hunt. If cold and river is frozen is a better hunt I understand. The FN still around then? Or they all ready have it screwed up early season and it's done for the year?
The FN guys were still hitting it hard outside the base after the Jan season was over..
Old 06-09-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
The FN guys were still hitting it hard outside the base after the Jan season was over..

This ^^^^^ Couple land owners told me the same, FN were still killing elk after the draws ended.

It has had an affect for sure but i wouldn't worry too much how long they hunted into the spring. I would be worried if they show up in July like last year. From what some land owners told me, thats when some serious harvesting happened last year.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:55 PM

Any idea what the population might be in WMU 124? I know quite a few land owners along the river with big tracts of land.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:53 PM

A lot of elk got pushed off the base last year and headed to the river in 124, not sure if they stayed there after Jan or heard futher south or back to the base after the season.. Maybe they are Montana elk now, not sure..

Jim...
Old 06-09-2016, 04:13 PM

You need to go to the farthest west end of 124. Only raghorns and cows though.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:39 PM
Banned

I had contemplated the Suffield elk hunt a couple of years ago. After reading and hearing of all the BS and crap, I'd rather saddle up a good horse and head out into 312, or 406 and do it the good 'ol fashion way.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:16 PM

Defintely don't wait for the last season on the Base if anyone is planning that. We never saw a single Elk or fresh Elk track on the base in 3 days.
They were in the NWA sticking their tongues out at us.
Cant say as i blame them Elk they way they were pushed and run down in the flock shooting earlier in the season..
Never saw many FN they must all have gone back to work ...........
Old 06-11-2016, 07:39 PM

Thanks to everyone for their input. After reading the above, and hearing it from others, I am not even sure if I want to waste 13 priority points for this hunt any more.

The big question is: If not there, then where would it be a good WMU to invest 13 pp?

Yours in good hunting,

CH
Old 06-11-2016, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chukar hunter View Post
thanks to everyone for their input. After reading the above, and hearing it from others, i am not even sure if i want to waste 13 priority points for this hunt any more.

The big question is: If not there, then where would it be a good wmu to invest 13 pp?

Yours in good hunting,

ch
406, got legs or a good nag? Otherwise, good bulls can be had without a draw if you know where to go.

Last edited by gitrdun; 06-11-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
406, got legs or a good nag? Otherwise, good bulls can be had without a draw if you know where to go.
I have hunted 406 in the pat but have never seen any big elk
Old 06-11-2016, 08:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
He doesn't know where to go that's why he is asking.