Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-05-2020, 07:32 PM

Default Starting to plan for 2020 hunting (Moose, Elk or Mule Deer)

To start with I have tons of priority points and this is going to be the year I use some, my question is if you could hunt ANY zone in Alberta for Moose or Elk which one would it be? I was thinking about pulling my Bull Elk early season in 102 but I haven't been down there in years and don't want to burn a tag if there simply isn't the bulls. Moose I have zero idea. Before anyone judges me about stockpiling points, the last few years with the economy have meant Ive just hunted around home, this year I want to make the commitment for a good hunt.

Bull Elk-I'm currently a 14
Bull Moose-I'm a 13
Mulie Buck-Only a 7
Old 01-05-2020, 07:59 PM

Yep, one season ends and planning for the next begins. I still had blood on my hands when my mind started working over next year’s possibilities.

Elk & 102: how much time do you have? Those prairie herds can make big moves overnight just because they want to pizz with a different view. Id want something of a resident population to focus on

Moose: imo save it for a southern mountain hunt in a few years. At p13 there’s no reason to draw in a lesser zone, although you could definitely draw in a 200s unit with a good chance at a 50”. East of highway 2, south of 16, north of 12. 242 has some monsters but as usual, access is a problem

Mulie: several ideas but I’m a 7 as well so not giving anything away. All I can say is pro/con that for a while, eventually an idea forms up.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:31 PM

I’d personally look at pulling one special draw license each year, that gives you more time to focus on the single tag opposed to 2 or 3.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by finner-duramax View Post
I’d personally look at pulling one special draw license each year, that gives you more time to focus on the single tag opposed to 2 or 3.
Yep
You would be splitting your scouting hunting and prep time too thin
Old 01-06-2020, 03:39 PM

Yes, I am planning on just one hunt per year. I'm torn for my 2020 tag mostly between the elk or moose though.
I live in 242 and have heard of a few big bulls and seen 1 or 2 over the years, honestly though most bulls shot in the area are small (too many tags and too much pressure)
Old 01-12-2020, 11:33 AM

Default Just a thought

I don’t know quality of bull moose but I would think a bull moose in 102 would be cool. For me personally an elk in either of the prairie zones should yield a decent bull and experience. Mule deer, you could tag that on as well and do a combo hunt. Get some sponsors, some swag, a video guy, stickers all over your truck. Oops, my imagination took off again. Anyhow, do you have antelope priority as well. That would need to be in play as well. Plan it, maybe a year or so in between as these are likely hunting events you will not be able to repeat. Have fun is the main thing. I do believe some of these tags you could partner on as well if you have kids in your plans.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat View Post
Yes, I am planning on just one hunt per year. I'm torn for my 2020 tag mostly between the elk or moose though.
I live in 242 and have heard of a few big bulls and seen 1 or 2 over the years, honestly though most bulls shot in the area are small (too many tags and too much pressure)
What are your standards? With a priority of 12+, i could help you get on a 50” or better bull. Odds are better in archery season when you can call to them, but with a rifle you’re almost guaranteed to get a bull in the zone i hunt.
It’s a big prairie zone with good moose numbers and they give out low tag numbers.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:03 PM

After checking my draw priorities later I hope to get and go for my cow moose in Camp Wainwright in 2020. It'll be -30 as usual
Old 02-05-2020, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
What are your standards? With a priority of 12+, i could help you get on a 50” or better bull. Odds are better in archery season when you can call to them, but with a rifle you’re almost guaranteed to get a bull in the zone i hunt.
It’s a big prairie zone with good moose numbers and they give out low tag numbers.
I'd be quite happy with a 50" bull. I'm hoping to use rifle as I have a couple of rifles that would work great on moose but just havent had the opportunity. A prairie hunt for them sounds like fun!!!
Old 02-06-2020, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhorse Cowboy View Post
After checking my draw priorities later I hope to get and go for my cow moose in Camp Wainwright in 2020. It'll be -30 as usual
I have drawn antlered moose twice at Wainwright, both times the weather was mild, right around 0, and we were done on the first day. When my hunting partner draws, we will be headed there again, there aren't as many big bulls around now, but it's still a fairly easy hunt.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:49 AM

few years back, there was a guy in the red deer area, that was awarded a antler moose draw in 228, he asked if someone would help, I saw a 50 plus moose when hunting ducks, always saw him in the same area, sent the guy the landowners number asking if this was ok first, and well the guy shot that moose, and the landowner helped to load it with his tractor, win win for both,
Old 02-06-2020, 08:20 AM

242 I always liked hillard area back in the day .
Beaverhill lake was a good area also for big moose and deer getting permission was good back then.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:30 AM

I love people who stockpile points. That means more opportunities for guys who don’t- like me! No need to apologize.
Pm me for mule deer info

Tags
2020, advice, elk, moose