Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-11-2018, 10:52 AM

Default Non-toxic cleaner for removing carbon buildup on brass

Some don't get too fussed about removing carbon buildup from the inside neck of brass. I will be doing this extra step to aid inspection of rifle brass for reloading - being a safe handloader, looking for wear and tear on the brass. I know ultrasonic cleaners can do this part very effectively - many brands to choose from !!! Could be simple as running a wet patch of something through the inside neck of brass = carbon buildup gone. Does anyone have a "non-toxic" homebrew formula or know of a brand that can quickly removes carbon buildup from the inside of brass without too much effort ?
Old 08-11-2018, 11:00 AM

Pick a non toxic gun cleaner/carbon remover and have at it. Pick something that isn’t a copper solvent though.
But if this is something that you really want to do in volume (it is not necessary and will have nothing to do with safety) then wet tumbling in ss media is probably the best option.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-11-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinchg View Post
Some don't get too fussed about removing carbon buildup from the inside neck of brass. I will be doing this extra step to aid inspection of rifle brass for reloading - being a safe handloader, looking for wear and tear on the brass. I know ultrasonic cleaners can do this part very effectively - many brands to choose from !!! Could be simple as running a wet patch of something through the inside neck of brass = carbon buildup gone. Does anyone have a "non-toxic" homebrew formula or know of a brand that can quickly removes carbon buildup from the inside of brass without too much effort ?
1/4 cup of concentrated lemon juice, a squirt of dish liquid, put brass in an ice cream bucket and fill to the top of the brass with warm water.
Let soak for a few minutes and then gently work brass around the solution by hand, a few minutes and you should have shiny brass.
Rinse well after, yer done.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:55 PM

I wet tumble my brass in hot water and throw in a dishwasher detergent packet. Works just fine.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:17 PM

Personally, I would not (I do not) strip the carbon from inside the neck ... I insert a nylon bore brush, a couple of turns to clean off the “excess” and consider it good to go. (This practice seems adequate to produce decent results).

I do remove carbon from the outside of the neck using RCBS case lube which is not toxic. I suppose if I wanted to strip the inside of the neck, it would work there as well.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:59 PM

Wet tumble in SS media.

Gets literally everything clean, including primer pockets.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:38 PM

I haven't considered using RCBS case lube Version 2:

http://rcbs.com/RCBS/media/RCBSMedia..._CaseLube2.pdf

"Medical conditions aggravated by exposure: Skin and respiratory disorders as well as conditions involving (kidney,liver) may be aggravated by prolonged exposure to this product."

I know the labeling says "non-toxic", the MSDS cautions against prolonged exposure. G-C lubricants make the product for RCBS. Also read "Target Organs: Repeated overexposure to alkanolomines may cause liver and kidney damage." Repeated overexposure can be long term exposure , a cumulative effect over many years. RCBS's "Die Cleaner Aerosol" still has Trichloroethylene !!! I enjoy using their hand loading equipment , I steer clear of RCBS chemicals because of safety warnings on most of their safety data sheets. There are new non-toxic safe products available that are indeed non-toxic.

I am considering MPro7 with a wet patch :
http://www.mpro7.com/if-it-doesnt-sm...n-it-work.html
Works great on cleaning bores too !!!

Redding has a simple suggestion to use the same procedures, with the same equipment and solvents, that you use to clean the bore of your rifle or handgun when cleaning a die set. This may be great on brass too - worth a try. Also found some home brew formulas on Ruger forum to try, 303 Carbine's suggestion has some strong merit - similar formula. Diluted non-toxic "Simple Green" (sold at Home Depot) can be used safely in ultra sonic cleaners.

Redding has a plant-based sizing lube called "Biolube" which is completely bio-degradable and non-toxic.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:42 PM

I use Hoppes #9 on a bit of a rag to wipe down brass on the outside before resizing. I run a brush into the neck as well.