Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-13-2018, 10:33 AM

Default Heli Fishing on the South Ramn

Hey all, my buddies girl booked us a fly fishing trip helicoptering into the South Ram. They are flying us in and we are hiking out. I thought the company would know where to drop us but apparently they want us to tell them where we want to be dropped. Looking from some help or advice. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-13-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylecoyote View Post
Hey all, my buddies girl booked us a fly fishing trip helicoptering into the South Ram. They are flying us in and we are hiking out. I thought the company would know where to drop us but apparently they want us to tell them where we want to be dropped. Looking from some help or advice. Thanks in advance!
the farthest point between access points lol
Old 06-13-2018, 04:21 PM

Sounds like a great trip, I've been in the canyon three times myself and am hoping to go back this summer. In terms of flying in, I'd say go somewhere deep in the canyon in the stretch upstream of where the North Ram joins, but still far away from roads.

I get the impression this is your first time on the Ram. If so, I would reconsider your plan to hike out, with the reason that the area is huge, trails out of the canyon are mere game trails, and in some places it may be tough to find a route out due to canyon walls. I'm not trying to scare you, but want to make sure you take the area seriously. If you can fly both ways it'll open up a lot more of the canyon for you. There are ways out, but they're tough to find unless you've been there before and know where they are.