Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2019, 12:49 PM

Default Trail cams on private land

What the [L] is with some folk? Was over checking on the grass on a pasture and found not one but three trail cams.
When I'm asked for permission to hunt I always state no cams but it seems people just don't care what the land owner wants. Do these same people think it would be alright for me[or anyone for that matter] to up trail cams in their house? Thinking I'll shut down permission to only those I know as I'm sick and tired of idiots.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:18 PM

Indeed happens way too often, the good news is the culprit will come and ask if you have them, at least that's what happened to us. We returned them in a bag, they just required reassembly

Your land, your rules, simple.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:46 PM

Shut er down for a year or two. Lite er up with signs and when someone asks why, explain to them that permission comes with conditions which were broken and now theyve ruined it for everyone. Bloody drones and cameras are really an infringement of privacy unless they belong to you.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitw View Post
What the [L] is with some folk? Was over checking on the grass on a pasture and found not one but three trail cams.
When I'm asked for permission to hunt I always state no cams but it seems people just don't care what the land owner wants. Do these same people think it would be alright for me[or anyone for that matter] to up trail cams in their house? Thinking I'll shut down permission to only those I know as I'm sick and tired of idiots.
Good for you man shut it down I'd say 5-10 years explain nothing to nobody do what you want.

That's the way the ball bounces some people will do what they want no matter what.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:13 PM

Go put a piece of tape over the lenses of the trail cams and leave a note letting the cam owners know they have lost their permissions.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-22-2019, 02:17 PM

use them for target practice
Old 07-22-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
Specially the drones.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
This.

Would make for a great u tube vid of you can film at high speed to display in slow mo.

One with 22, another in 308 and the third with shotty. Effects of kinetic energy is always a good watch.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:43 PM

Did you pull the cams?
Old 07-22-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altex View Post
Specially the drones.
yes moving target is always good
Old 07-22-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
This.

Would make for a great u tube vid of you can film at high speed to display in slow mo.

One with 22, another in 308 and the third with shotty. Effects of kinetic energy is always a good watch.
it sure would
Old 07-22-2019, 02:59 PM

I were brought up by parents who lived through the thirty's so destrroying anything kinda/sorta goes against the grain. Instead I have written a note to place in a ziplock bag for all three devices.

To the owner of the camera that was here. You can get your camera back by contacting the land owner.
You can also get permission to hunt here again once you have installed camera's throughout your house[bedrooms, front room etc]. and yard that the land owner can access by computer. Until this is done the land will be shut down to hunters I don't know, thanks to you.

Gotta wait for the wife to get home to do the printing thingy as I ain't got that figured out either. If ya come up with an addition I like, it will be included.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:07 PM

Some hunters can be a funny bunch. Cap in hand asking for access and permission. Permission given and they think they can now do whatever.

For the last 2 years, my son and I left the crown land and chased moose on private land, every owner got a text a couple days before asking if we were still good to hunt. Every owners rules were respected. While out we pick up garbage, clear trails and report on what we see as far as non permission guys or fence issues etc.

I ask, you say yes, I do what I can to make sure your at ease while I am on your properties. Not too hard to repay the generosity 2 fold.

I would be putting up a sign on each tree where the cams were saying come talk to me about getting your cameras back and oh ya, your permission Then see what they say about breaking the rules you gave them.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitw View Post
I were brought up by parents who lived through the thirty's so destrroying anything kinda/sorta goes against the grain. Instead I have written a note to place in a ziplock bag for all three devices.

To the owner of the camera that was here. You can get your camera back by contacting the land owner.
You can also get permission to hunt here again once you have installed camera's throughout your house[bedrooms, front room etc]. and yard that the land owner can access by computer. Until this is done the land will be shut down to hunters I don't know, thanks to you.

Gotta wait for the wife to get home to do the printing thingy as I ain't got that figured out either. If ya come up with an addition I like, it will be included.
You are a better man than me.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:15 AM

"He's just a dumb farmer... That 40 of Jack I paid him means he gave me free reign over his land."

A man's word just doesn't mean anything these days.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:45 AM

I would take them down, when the owner comes looking for them, he would discover that his permission is revoked , and to receive his trailcams back, he would sign a letter stating that he will never set foot on the property again, or it will be considered trespassing. That way, I have proof, that he is aware that his permission is revoked, in case he returns.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:06 AM

At one time we bow hunted a great piece of property - a market garden close to town.
Rules were simple , no firearms just bows and no coyotes to be shot because they killed the mice .
Deer were the issue .
EVERYBODY lost that when someone shot a deer on the property with a rifle.
Another property We used to hunt geese on has a rule that no deer were to be Shot whatsoever - the farmer’s wife liked having them around .

Although my crew has no problem following the rules laid down by landowners there are always some people that cannot seem to follow them for some reason,

Crap I had one guy tell me I could hunt deer on his place but not the mule deer ( legal in the zone) and none of the big racked bucks he liked to see .
Owner lays out the rules , you want to hunt on his place , follow those rules .
No vehicle access , no does, no bucks , whatever . Pretty simple
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 07-23-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
You are a better man than me.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:41 AM

Default private land

This is why a couple like the wife and i cant get permission to hunt private land ...idiots that cant follow landowner rules .
Old 07-23-2019, 07:51 AM
Banned

Maybe I'm the dumb one here (pffffttt) but what's the issue with putting up trail cams in the BUSH? Sorry are you a nudist that travels around and rolls naked in the bush? I get the "dOn'T pUt CaMeRaS iN mY hOmE" part but out in the bushes, the dude is just trying to see what all is out there for game.

Did he screw them into the trees, causing damage? Putting trail cameras up is a very low impact thing and I GUESS if you really hate having someone else's cameras OUT IN THE BUSH then cool that's your thing but really I think you over reacted. The majority of people use trail cameras these days.

Plus I always carry a card reader with me so if I come across a camera I'm pulling the card, reading it (gotta find those monster bucks) and deleting any evidence that I was in the area.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:57 AM

^^^^
Don’t mess with other people’s stuff, period.

LC
Old 07-23-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
Maybe I'm the dumb one here (pffffttt) but what's the issue with putting up trail cams in the BUSH? Sorry are you a nudist that travels around and rolls naked in the bush? I get the "dOn'T pUt CaMeRaS iN mY hOmE" part but out in the bushes, the dude is just trying to see what all is out there for game.

Did he screw them into the trees, causing damage? Putting trail cameras up is a very low impact thing and I GUESS if you really hate having someone else's cameras OUT IN THE BUSH then cool that's your thing but really I think you over reacted. The majority of people use trail cameras these days.

Plus I always carry a card reader with me so if I come across a camera I'm pulling the card, reading it (gotta find those monster bucks) and deleting any evidence that I was in the area.
It is landowners property and he makes the rules. He does not have to justify them to anyone. If he doesn't want cameras, he doesn't want cameras. Either follow the rules or get out. Pretty simple.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:04 AM

I follow land owner rules and if I do find s camera on the bush i K leave alone- it’d Not mine ,
No different than finding a chain saw , quad ,truck,traps or anything else that has obviously been left there to be retrieved later .
If it is not yours and not your land - crown or otherwise leave it alone , and that includes trail cameras .
Cat
Old 07-23-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:

Here lies the problem, the OP stated he did not want camera's as a stipulation of access to their PRIVATE property... Does not matter at all what anyone thinks or feels about their camera's this was a condition placed on access.

It's no wonder every season more land is locked....
Old 07-23-2019, 08:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
It is landowners property and he makes the rules. He does not have to justify them to anyone. If he doesn't want cameras, he doesn't want cameras. Either follow the rules or get out. Pretty simple.
i guess i'm with whitetailab on this, but you are sure right about the landowners rules being the rules..........whether they make sense or not is beside the point.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
I get that, but it's a dumb rule IMO. Like I said, they're harmless. To me it's more of a "iM tHe oWnEr" thing, cameras strapped to a tree are harmless.

I expected some butthurt out of my post, and I was right.

Like I said, unless the dude is running around nude in his field and bush what is the actual harm, aside from hurt feelings (like he obviously has)
Old 07-23-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
I get that, but it's a dumb rule IMO. Like I said, they're harmless. To me it's more of a "iM tHe oWnEr" thing, cameras strapped to a tree are harmless.

Like I said, unless the dude is running around nude in his field and bush what is the actual harm, aside from hurt feelings (like he obviously has)
It is his land so he can make up whatever "dumb" rule he feels like. It is simple, if you don't like the rules don't hunt there. It isn't butt hurt unless yours is hurting. Find somewhere else. Not hard at all.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:

Maybe the landowner does run around in the nude or maybe he simply does not like the use of trail cams, drones, quads , trucks or even bows .
I know lots of farmers who don’t like gun hunters and some that din’t Like bow hunters .
Who cares, their rules .......
Cat
Old 07-23-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:

There's also a fair chance that the owner of the cameras DOESN'T have permission to hunt or trespass on the property, so the land owner is justified in removing them from his property. Leaving a note as to how the cameras can be claimed is a sign of respect by the OP that the owner of the camera is lucky the OP shares.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:39 AM

Smile You have two options

You have two options One is to shoot it and the other to sell it and make money lool