Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-21-2019, 08:42 PM

Default Costco fly fishing outfit

Checking out the Amundson top explorer kit at costco. Looks pretty sweet at a good price. Anyone have any experience with the kit or amundson? Adding up all the goodies the outfit should be at least 300+. Cant be too crappy if Amundson is Canadian, right? TIA!

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2019, 07:12 AM

Chinese products
Old 07-22-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Chinese products
So what? Both of my Orvis Clearwater rods were made in China and they function very well. Hardy reels are made in Korea and so are Douglas fly rods. Rio leaders are made in Japan. Heck, the only things not made in Asia are Scotch whiskey and good wine!

To the OP: that package looks like a good start.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:55 AM

I fished that outfit in a 5wt when I first got started fly fishing. I fished it hard. I replaced a broken section, epoxied broken ferrules, and I even fished it with broken and missing guides. I loved the rod and it now has a second life as a ice fishing pole. It was a great entry rod. But, the "extras" really are garbage. The reel broke after a season of moderate use, and the bag was beyond useless.

Knowing what I know now, I would buy an Echo Base or Echo Carbon XL with an Orvis Battenkill reel (either click and pawl or disc drag) and a mid level fly line. Then I would buy a second-hand fanny pack aka "hip pack" from value village or just use a day pack style back pack to carry everything else.

You'll end up spending a bit more but the longevity of each item will be worth the extra $. and you won't have extra stuff that you'll never actually use.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:12 PM

Cabella's had an entry level kit similar to this that was marked down to $120 in the bargain cave this winter, but it came with some tools as well.

The line was pre loaded with backing on it, there were a few flies in a fly box, and actually was not a bad action at all.

Drewski
Old 07-24-2019, 01:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
So what? Both of my Orvis Clearwater rods were made in China and they function very well. Hardy reels are made in Korea and so are Douglas fly rods. Rio leaders are made in Japan. Heck, the only things not made in Asia are Scotch whiskey and good wine!

To the OP: that package looks like a good start.
The low end rods/reels tend to be made in China. Some people can't tell the difference. Some people CAN.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
The low end rods/reels tend to be made in China. Some people can't tell the difference. Some people CAN.
You're right. I use my Elbonian made 4 wt to catch the 12 inch dinkies and my Sages to catch the 20 inch real trout
Old 07-24-2019, 09:10 AM

I picked up a similar set up at Wholesalesports a few years back. Looks like the same reel, the rod I got was a 9' 6wt. 2 pc. Overall the quality was good for the price, the rod is a little stiffer than I like and a bit on the heavy side. Most important thing though; it catches fish.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
And some people WANT to see a difference even if there isn't one. For those of you who are enamoured of products which are "MADE IN USA"... you're in for a big surprise once you learn of US labelling laws. Most of it is still made in China.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by commieboy View Post
And some people WANT to see a difference even if there isn't one. For those of you who are enamoured of products which are "MADE IN USA"... you're in for a big surprise once you learn of US labelling laws. Most of it is still made in China.
Sounds like you're one of the people that can't tell the difference. That's OK.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:13 AM

Default Fish Can't Tell

Quote:
But the fish can't tell and really don't care how much you spent on your rig. Caught as many on my lower end gear as I have on my Sage.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:57 AM

Thank you all for your responses!

Old 07-25-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Yeah, except all Sages, Winston, G.Loomis, Scott, T&Ts, Ovis, Hardy, Albrights, Loop, Douglas, most ECHOs.....and like pretty much all top end rods. Other than that you are 100% correct, they are all made in China.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Sounds like you're one of the people that can't tell the difference. That's OK.
No, actually I can. That's okay if you want to be smug.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Yeah, except all Sages, Winston, G.Loomis, Scott, T&Ts, Ovis, Hardy, Albrights, Loop, Douglas, most ECHOs.....and like pretty much all top end rods. Other than that you are 100% correct, they are all made in China.
And where is it that you think most of these company source some of their materials from?
Old 07-25-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Mountain Boy View Post
Thank you all for your responses!

The Amundsen kit will catch fish. The fish will feel better, enjoy the fight more and be released with less stress if you buy a top end rod. I myself have a Sage, a Winston and an Orvis and all the fish I catch tell me how awesome the experience was for them. When I catch fish on my TFO they don't even stop to chat after I release them, but hey, I still caught a fish.

And don't forget the other fishermen. If they see you using a top end rod they won't have the satisfaction of knowing they spent more money than you. You wouldn't want to deprive them of that, would you?

Get the kit, or something similar. Have fun. That's what it's supposed to be about. Some people on this forum have really lost sight of that.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
The Amundsen kit will catch fish. The fish will feel better, enjoy the fight more and be released with less stress if you buy a top end rod. I myself have a Sage, a Winston and an Orvis and all the fish I catch tell me how awesome the experience was for them. When I catch fish on my TFO they don't even stop to chat after I release them, but hey, I still caught a fish.

And don't forget the other fishermen. If they see you using a top end rod they won't have the satisfaction of knowing they spent more money than you. You wouldn't want to deprive them of that, would you?

Get the kit, or something similar. Have fun. That's what it's supposed to be about. Some people on this forum have really lost sight of that.
Hahaha thanks! Appreciate it!

Old 07-25-2019, 11:40 AM

I think the flyline itself is important. The one show is probably garbage. Good flyline will make the casting much easier.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:

LOL.

When I catch fish with my made in China Orvis Clearwater rods (which of course is really often ) they spit in my face and say "is that all you got"? I just ignore them and get back to catching their buddies.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:51 PM

Default Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
I think the flyline itself is important. The one show is probably garbage. Good flyline will make the casting much easier.
I forgot to mention this about the kit I bought, the line is the one item I upgraded.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:45 PM

For those of you scoring at home; Chinese mass produced product with poor reviews is now determined to be every bit as good as top of the line equipment with excellent reviews.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
For those of you scoring at home; Chinese mass produced product with poor reviews is now determined to be every bit as good as top of the line equipment with excellent reviews.
I don't thing anyone here is saying it's as good as top of the line stuff. I wouldn't give it an excellent review, but a good one yes as it has worked just fine for me.
If number of fish caught on the rod is the determining factor in quality of the rod, then it is as good as my Sage. Does it have the balance and nice light weight of the Sage? No, but it is also a lot cheaper, and like I said, I have no complaints about its performance.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
No, actually I can. That's okay if you want to be smug.
I'm just saying that there is nothing wrong with mediocrity, although I can't speak from experience.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
I'm just saying that there is nothing wrong with mediocrity, although I can't speak from experience.
Sorry, Canadians are mediocre (middling quality, neither good nor bad), that's just the way it is, and most of us have learned to live with it.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr flyguy View Post
sorry, canadians are mediocre (middling quality, neither good nor bad), that's just the way it is, and most of us have learned to live with it.
speak for yourself.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Hale View Post
I don't thing anyone here is saying it's as good as top of the line stuff. I wouldn't give it an excellent review, but a good one yes as it has worked just fine for me.
If number of fish caught on the rod is the determining factor in quality of the rod, then it is as good as my Sage. Does it have the balance and nice light weight of the Sage? No, but it is also a lot cheaper, and like I said, I have no complaints about its performance.
When I take the odd trip to the local lakes or watch "fly fishers" drifting by, they most all have a common theme. They fish indicators or streamers. If you choose to spend the day watching a bobber than most any rod, including a spinning rod will work fine. If you like to throw streamers, big and heavy with a flex somewhere in the middle will fish as well as anything out there. This also holds true for the beloved "hopper dropper" that requires big loop and a laid back approach.

If one ever wants to fly fish with something like say a fly, then the game changes. Tight loops in changing conditions are a must. Presentations can go from "nothing to it" to the other side of the river with a strong cross wind at any time and fly sizes can go from tiny to terrestrial in an hour.

And no, you will not catch as many fish with a full flexing, somewhere in the middle rod that hasn't been splined properly and has more side to side wiggle than a Kardashian on a cat walk. Accuracy is every bit as important in fly fishing as it is to the discriminating big game hunter. Accuracy in fly fishing is dependent on fast action and quick recovery tips that deliver tight loops consistently straight down the line. A decent fly line for these applications is at or near $100 these days, expecting a complete outfit for $189 is really setting yourself up for disappointment.

Having said all that, fish with what you can afford and enjoy the day. You don't have to break 100 to enjoy a round of golf and a good day fishing certainly isn't determined by the number of fish caught or the performance of your equipment.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Your arrogance knows no bounds, it's fairly amusing in a nauseating kind of way.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:14 AM

To get away from the bickering, and back to the original question..

The kit is likely good for beginners. Doesn't really matter where the rod is manufactured. Expensive and cheap rods will both catch fish. There forsure is a level of quality difference though between products. Sensitivity, flex, power action all differ from one to the next. Just like a Honda vs a Ferrari. Both get you where your going, one has more bells and whistles, is way more fun to drive and be seen with but costs 10 times the price

That set would likely do you well for awhile. But there are also plenty of used setups that are excellent for the money.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
When I take the odd trip to the local lakes or watch "fly fishers" drifting by, they most all have a common theme. They fish indicators or streamers. If you choose to spend the day watching a bobber than most any rod, including a spinning rod will work fine. If you like to throw streamers, big and heavy with a flex somewhere in the middle will fish as well as anything out there. This also holds true for the beloved "hopper dropper" that requires big loop and a laid back approach.

If one ever wants to fly fish with something like say a fly, then the game changes. Tight loops in changing conditions are a must. Presentations can go from "nothing to it" to the other side of the river with a strong cross wind at any time and fly sizes can go from tiny to terrestrial in an hour.

And no, you will not catch as many fish with a full flexing, somewhere in the middle rod that hasn't been splined properly and has more side to side wiggle than a Kardashian on a cat walk. Accuracy is every bit as important in fly fishing as it is to the discriminating big game hunter. Accuracy in fly fishing is dependent on fast action and quick recovery tips that deliver tight loops consistently straight down the line. A decent fly line for these applications is at or near $100 these days, expecting a complete outfit for $189 is really setting yourself up for disappointment.

Having said all that, fish with what you can afford and enjoy the day. You don't have to break 100 to enjoy a round of golf and a good day fishing certainly isn't determined by the number of fish caught or the performance of your equipment.

All I can say is WOW, do you know me? Have you ever fly fished with me (something I have been doing for close to 40 years)? No you don't and no you haven't.
There is an old say here that is applicable: Better to remain silent and have the world think your a fool (or in this case a fly fishing elitist), than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:

Good comments except the red highlighted oxymoron.