Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2019, 06:55 PM

Default RV must haves

So we finally got ourselves a 26ft jayco travel trailer and were trying to piece together everything we will need for the new trailer. Outdoor table and bbq of course. Dishes and cutlery. But what are your secret rv hacks and tricks that a new owner will need to know. Thanks for the help
Old 06-23-2019, 06:57 PM

We use a sewage caddy, sometimes it's nice not having to take the whole trailer to empty the tank. And bring baby wipes (don't flush) for when that sandpaper TP you gotta use starts getting to ya.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:05 PM

Don't buy anything.. 999% of it will not get used.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:26 PM

A big mat for outside the door
Old 06-23-2019, 07:27 PM

Spare hub dressed with bearings and races and the tools to change it out if a wheel bearing piles up on the road. Trailer Aid tire changing ramp.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:35 PM

A box of nitrile or latex gloves
Old 06-23-2019, 07:41 PM

Keep a decent tool kit that includes a test light, air pressure gauge and a couple or three flashlights.
Make sure you have a spare tire and all the tools to change the tire.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:48 PM

Default Trailer

We did two things right away. Swapped out the single 12V deep cycle for two 6V deep cycle batteries. Changed all of the incandescent bulbs to LED.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:58 PM

A good set of bubble levels and levellers for the wheels will save you time and frustration
Old 06-23-2019, 08:13 PM

Pony pump and spare water jugs to add water in the bush. I carry 4 extra and use them a lot. Pumping the water in makes life easy.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:16 PM

Solar panel to trickle charge the batteries if you are off the grid. You won't run the A/C but you will keep the fridge and lights on.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:17 PM

A foam mattress topper or memory foam because the factory mattresses in camper usually suck. Also a tarp to keep your fire wood dry. Sucks when a thunder storm goes through and your firewood gets soaked and shortly after your kids are after you to start a bonfire.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:43 PM

I agree with a solar panel
we do a lot of camping with no services and having your battery top jp is awesome
I had one mounted on my roof under 1000.oo brother in law got a portable $300.00 works awesome
Old 06-23-2019, 08:54 PM
Banned

Depends on your camping plans. Most of the suggestions assume you'll be dryland camping. IE: no hookups (power, sewer, water). You'll have to decide what type of camping you want to do.

If your intention is to frequent full service campgrounds for the most part, most of the suggestions don't apply.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:11 PM

Here's a true pro tip: Go for a short 2-3 day trip. Bring the bare essentials (cutlery, dishes, toilet paper, bbq stuff, food, booze) and a pen and paper.

Every time you think "darn, sure would have been nice to x/y/x", write it down on your piece of paper. Once you're back, go buy those things. That should really cover the majority of the stuff you'll need unless you're like my girlfriend and you need to bring stuff for any given weather, event, emergency, accident, you name it.

In the end though the degree of stuff you might need depends on what kind of camping you're doing. Weekend warrior with no kids? Don't really need much. Going to practically live out of the thing for potentially week+ with kids? Gunna need a lot more.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:14 PM

12volt impact driver with a 3/4” socket to level the jacks makes life much easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2019, 09:18 PM

Other than dishes, food, and items to clean yourself with. These are the main things I use every time I go camping:
Ax
Water hose or two
Sewage hose with the angle piece to go into the hole
Boards you can drive on to get level
Garbage bags
BBQ
Propane if no external connection
Old 06-23-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Don't buy anything.. 999% of it will not get used.
If you buy things, don't let the RV dealership talk you into some things like sewer hose, potable water hose etc... Those can be purchased for half price at Walmart or Canadian tire for the same exact product.

oh and DEFINITELY buy RV toilet paper. I made the mistake with my first camper just using normal house TP..... Plugged that sucker right up... absolutely disgusting what I had to do to get it working again!
Old 06-23-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
If you buy things, don't let the RV dealership talk you into some things like sewer hose, potable water hose etc... Those can be purchased for half price at Walmart or Canadian tire for the same exact product.

oh and DEFINITELY buy RV toilet paper. I made the mistake with my first camper just using normal house TP..... Plugged that sucker right up... absolutely disgusting what I had to do to get it working again!
Been using normal house TP for all our camping and staying in the desert for 6 month's at a time, never a problem, going on 50 yrs of camping and mh travels. 50 miles of travel will stir up any septic tank's that I have owned. And I have my own sani pump.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:40 PM

Half a cup of Arm and Hammer washing soda in your black tank after each dump, keeps inside slippery and less chance for solids to stick. If you suspect there are solids stuck in the black tank, fill 1/4 with clean water and about 3-4 bags of ice cubes, then drive it on a windier road. Don't spare the brakes or acceleration. Should dislodge any clingers till the ice melts in ten minutes. I second the very large mat or even roll of astroturf outside your door, under awning. Way less tracking dirt in the unit.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:02 PM

A 2000w Honda inverter generator..
Old 06-23-2019, 11:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Here's a true pro tip: Go for a short 2-3 day trip. Bring the bare essentials (cutlery, dishes, toilet paper, bbq stuff, food, booze) and a pen and paper.
Nailed it!

Ya gots to have a, “Need or nice to have list.”.......every trip. After decades of camping we still have a pen and paper on the counter by the door.

Oh, and s’mores.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:54 PM

The right hose that doesn't smell your water up,the rest is just every day normal things.You pump smelly rub through your tanks you will regret it.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:42 AM

You may have pulled a trailer before and are good to go. But if not take it to a empty parking lot, drive it around a bit, practice backing up, learn to set the trailer brakes, make sure you can see out of your mirrors, go around a few light post so you understand the angles of your turns. Not a take with you list, but time doing this will make you a better trailer hauler.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
A box of nitrile or latex gloves
^This. Your first tank dump you will learn a lot, but better to learn this lesson beforehand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CranePete View Post
We did two things right away. Swapped out the single 12V deep cycle for two 6V deep cycle batteries. Changed all of the incandescent bulbs to LED.
And buy your particular LEDs from Amazon, not the $27 per bulb from an RV dealership. I got 10 bulbs from Amazon for around $21. Get the warm white style of bulb, not the cool blue.

J.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:35 AM

Fly swatter
Old 06-24-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
^This. Your first tank dump you will learn a lot, but better to learn this lesson beforehand.
And don't cheap out on the sewer hose... get a good one.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:46 AM

Get yourself an extra sewage hose. Those things always seem to fail just when you really need them.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 06-24-2019, 09:01 AM

Use Septobac in black (and grey tanks occasionally) as this stuff eats up the waste and prevents blockages. I had a blocked black tank and this stuff freed it up in a few days, now I use it regularly.https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/d..._wcB#store=676

Watch YouTube videos on the ice in the black tank (doesn’t work according to many) https://youtu.be/iH6acEmqvcw
They call it the GEO method (Dawn dish soap, Calgon water softener and ice cubes). I’ve tried it, haven’t noticed any improvement.

Carry a propane torch https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...7542p.html#srp to light your camp fires.

I carry a folding saw to cut wood occasionally as it takes up no space.
https://www.amazon.ca/Coghlans-8901-...81007538&psc=1

Food net is great to keep the bugs off food when serving outside https://www.coghlans.com/products/food-cover-8623

Carry a roll of Duct tape and a tube of Goop for quick repairs.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/a...0008p.html#srp

Small folding rake is handy https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/y...5552p.html#srp
Old 06-24-2019, 09:19 AM

I bought all kinds of doo-hickys when I got mine (27.5'). Most went unused. A big, easily cleanable matt for out front for sure, switch out for LED lights, an inverter (quiet) generator, and I packed with socket sets, jacks, all kinds of tools you think you might never need. Guess what, you'll need them!
I have a lot of RV stuff I purchased brand new, still in box, that you should probably buy... hahaha