Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2014, 08:34 AM
Banned

Default Jason Hastie donates his house

Pretty gracious story.
His add on Kijiji has got 300 000 hits and the result will be next week.
He has also added some money to help in the moving expenses.

I'm sure many of you have seen it on the news.
But it's a great humanity interest story and nice to see that people are still thinking of the flood victims of High River and or other's in need.

That's gotta be a tough decision to choose the recipient.
Who would you like to see it go to?
Old 01-15-2014, 08:42 AM

Smart dude. Cheaper to have someone take and move it then demolish it.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:47 AM

Into my back yard for a rental property! I don't think it would fit down the alley though, or the spot where it would fit would need too many of my trees removed. The move would be short, that place is only a block away! In the photo you can see the brick wall of the Telus substation building to the right.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Into my back yard for a rental property! I don't think it would fit down the alley though, or the spot where it would fit would need too many of my trees removed. The move would be short, that place is only a block away! In the photo you can see the brick wall of the Telus substation building to the right.
Seems you can give us the play by play on what happens.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:59 AM

Its one block down on the next parallel street. I like the original houses in the area, in the 1950's they built good solid homes and the floor joists in every one I've seen are invariably douglas fir. The only thing they need are better windows and insulation, which could be done nicely with an EIFS (acrylic stucco over styrofoam) set-up. I should see how portable his front deck looks and turn it into my new back deck!
Old 01-15-2014, 09:33 AM

Looks like a bunch of AO guys have already commented.

AO's most used line:
'there has to ba another side of the story'

Daryl Pamplin
I could be wrong, (it's been known to happen) but I don't think land use bylaws in calgary allow for putting an old house on to another lot. Even if it did, the cost of moving plus bring it up to existing code plus getting rid of the asbestos, it would be cheaper to tear it down. Might work as a cabin if you gut it, but moving costs go way up.

11 hours ago 0 Likes

Tax Me...I'm Canadian
Tax Me...I'm Canadian
I'm doing my part too. I have an old refrigerator that is out behind the shed that I'm willing to give to a needy person for free. The only catch is they have to haul it away. I'm no hero, I'm just doing what is right.

12 hours ago 0 Likes

Oilberta
Oilberta
This isn't charity, this is this guy trying to save the cost of the demo or moving the house! The house has no value to him, he was going to tear it down! If he was truly charitable he would have thrown in the $20-30 thousand that he was going to spend tearing down the house.
This is comparable to me putting my old furniture on my front lawn with a sign saying free come and get it, just to save me the cost of taking it to the dump!

14 hours ago 2 Likes

Hondawithagunrack
Hondawithagunrack
Should move it toGLENWOOD AB - you can still get great mountain views for a fraction of what you would pay in canmore. Another good area would be HILL SPRING, AB. Also, these are some of the few communities to actually let you move a home onto a lot.

15 hours ago 0 Likes

goldenboil
goldenboil
I suggest he offer the house to one of the homeless families from High River that are being affected by the closing of the camps. They won't have anywhere to move it, but maybe they can live on his land until they get on their feet. There was a family featured on As It Happens.

15 hours ago 0 Likes

Think On It
Think On It
In other words, he must want to rebuild on the same lot, so he's gifting the house.

16 hours ago 1 Like

MachineMessiah
MachineMessiah
Real feet on the ground are a better 'connect' than an ever fleeting dollar!

Effort gets noticed - give us more do-gooder stories.

19 hours ago 2 Likes

MachineMessiah
MachineMessiah
@MachineMessiah

The Peter Gabriel car pose always gets positive attention.

Others faces may melt though.

19 hours a
Old 01-15-2014, 10:09 AM

Well the guy isn't trying to turn a profit on the house ....depending he might be able to get money for it if he wanted....he is still letting it go for free.

$30,000 in moving costs is still better than $30,000 in moving cost and $25,000-$50,000 for the house.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:21 AM
Banned

I'm not sure the point of Kens post.
Maybe to show that even when someone tries to do good...people will find fault in it somehow.
The glass is half empty or half full deal.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:35 AM

He will have some demolition costs because his old foundation will still need to be excavated out, so the demolition prices that some people are quoting are a bit off the mark, as he won't save 100% of those costs by donating the house, perhaps somewhere around half of the cost, give or take 10%. He's also talking about having a fundraiser to help with move costs for a recipient. I'd gone to his FaceBook page for a peek. The generous part is trying to help with the relocation costs, the rest is good business sense with some sentiment attached; and who can criticize that?