Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2014, 11:41 AM

Default Dealing in Facts

I was brought into a discussion at work today and one of the women I work with said "I would sure like to come into some money" and I said in rebuttal that she could marry a rich man. No one disagreed, but then when another (male) said "...some people can work their way to the top and some take short cuts" I brought up the truth that women make less money then men in similar positions he walked away and said "I can't believe you just said you are worth more then women, especially these two beautiful women."

I don't think he actively listens but clearly I was agreeing with her idea of coming into money. Who wouldn't like that. And clearly, working your way to the top is slightly harder for women than men even though, he would NEVER take a shortcut. Either way he made me look like an a-hole when I was trying to empathise the struggles women face in this world. Just thought I would share my annoyance with people who aren't idiots.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENGUN View Post
Just thought I would share my annoyance with people who aren't idiots.

And yet you decided to post here.

Kidding. But awaiting the chip-on-the-shoulder misinterpretations of what you wrote.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
And yet you decided to post here.

Kidding. But awaiting the chip-on-the-shoulder misinterpretations of what you wrote.
Well he didn't actively listen, if AO members don't actively read, as you have, then I am sure some will be up in arms for no reason
Old 01-14-2014, 11:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
I was brought into a discussion at work today and one of the women I work with said "I would sure like to come into some money" and I said in rebuttal that she could marry a rich man. No one disagreed, but then when another (male) said "...some people can work their way to the top and some take short cuts" I brought up the truth that women make less money then men in similar positions he walked away and said "I can't believe you just said you are worth more then women, especially these two beautiful women."

I don't think he actively listens but clearly I was agreeing with her idea of coming into money. Who wouldn't like that. And clearly, working your way to the top is slightly harder for women than men even though, he would NEVER take a shortcut. Either way he made me look like an a-hole when I was trying to empathise the struggles women face in this world. Just thought I would share my annoyance with people who aren't idiots.

Very interesting points. I've known a few women that were very successful in the field (and rightly so). They didn't seem to have any problems climbing to the top and made the same money as their male counterparts. AND I've known many women who start a career, get married, have kids, take maternity leave, and often decide not to go back to work until they have had two or three kids and the kids are all in school or older. (not saying that's good or bad, just that I can see where being out of the work force for 10 years or so would have a pretty large impact on experience and your wage)

I'm not sure where or how they arrive at the figure that women make less than their male counterparts, but could it possibly be due to the fact that many women are "typically" not the primary bread winner for the family and they stay home with the kids or take time off to raise their kids?

Hope this doesn't make me an idiot.

PS: Sounds to me like your friend knew exactly what you were talking about and decided to leave with a zinger and a smirk on his face.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:15 PM

Default This is to educate ..

I think the answer is found in this video ,though meant as comedy
It packs a whole lot of truth.. The world has lost sight of these
Rules and has so suffered ....Open your mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w
Old 01-14-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
I think the answer is found in this video ,though meant as comedy
It packs a whole lot of truth.. The world has lost sight of these
Rules and has so suffered ....Open your mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w
Ha! That's pretty good. I love the BBC
Old 01-14-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Very interesting points. I've known a few women that were very successful in the field (and rightly so). They didn't seem to have any problems climbing to the top and made the same money as their male counterparts. AND I've known many women who start a career, get married, have kids, take maternity leave, and often decide not to go back to work until they have had two or three kids and the kids are all in school or older. (not saying that's good or bad, just that I can see where being out of the work force for 10 years or so would have a pretty large impact on experience and your wage)

I'm not sure where or how they arrive at the figure that women make less than their male counterparts, but could it possibly be due to the fact that many women are "typically" not the primary bread winner for the family and they stay home with the kids or take time off to raise their kids?

Hope this doesn't make me an idiot.

PS: Sounds to me like your friend knew exactly what you were talking about and decided to leave with a zinger and a smirk on his face.
I completely agree. Every industry I have worked in women have been at least equal and often at a considerable advantage over men often in pay and treatment. I'm not saying they're might be some exceptions, but they seem to be far and few between.

Don't get me wrong, I love women! And have the upmost respect for women. In fact I grew up with only women, (3 sisters, and mother), but I just can't wrap my head around this feminist movement stuff when considering facts and real world experience. The pendulum of equal rights has swung well beyond the centre already.

However, I realize this is one of the many subjects where your not supposed to mention the facts and contradictions as people get upset. I'll put my body armour on.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:48 PM

My wife makes more than I do. I'm not complaining.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:

Sounds more like he was trying to hit on one of the women.... Cry sexual harassment next time!!! LOL

All the girls I work with are respected and evenly compensated for their positions and responsibilities within our company. I view them as equals but also understand the point of view that an extended absence from a career to raise their families will have an impact on their salary level, regardless of skill level. If I hadn't been 20+ years in my field of work, I couldn't expect to match my fellow worker with that same 20+ years of experience, could I? Especially if I took 10 or more years off in the middle of that 20+ years...

J.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lgreenback View Post

However, I realize this is one of the many subjects where your not supposed to mention the facts and contradictions as people get upset. I'll put my body armour on.
It certainly has gotten better for women. No denying that. But the stats I've seen show that there is still some discrepancy and a lot of it depends on the job. But in full time positions they still make less per year. And even though successful women will not likely say they had to work harder or even think they had to, chances are they might have. I'm sure at some point in every woman's life they meet someone who is ignorant and puts up a wall for them to overcome that they may have not put up for a man. A sort of proving their worth. Minorities deal with it on occasion too. Not that the pendulum hasn't gone too far in some cases, but the fact remains that it happens.

I swear I am not some bleeding heart for everyone's issues. And the world is a much better place for all now than ever before and women and minorities cannot hold the past over everyones heads forever. But problems still exist.