Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2014, 12:05 PM

Default Red Light ticket or not?

While in Edmonton on 23Ave West bound and approaching 91st the Roads were snow and ice, I hit the brakes as soon as the light went yellow but crossed the sensors and stopped in the marked crosswalk without entering the intersection then backed up off the crosswalk. And now I have a $287 ticket for committing a red light violation. There is no picture of my vehicle in the intersection only before the crosswalk and stopped on the crosswalk. The roads are snow and ice in the picture.
I made my best effort to stop the vehicle and did not run throught the intersection.
Has anyone else had this happen.?
Old 01-14-2014, 12:07 PM
Banned

Nope. Just playing devils advocate (as I hate all those bloody cameras), but I'm sure they would say you were driving too fast for road conditions.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:09 PM
Banned

That's a steep fine.
And I have wondered myself about this.
I'll bet you could win in court if properly defended.
And I would at least try.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:11 PM

If it's worth your time, fight it. Chances are no one will show up to the court date. If not, pay it and walk away.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:12 PM

I think they would argue that since you made it past the stop line which is before the crosswalk, you were actually in the intersection and have to pay the ticket. I would challenge it anyways, usually at least get knocked down a few bucks.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:35 PM

Go to the scheduled court date with a copy of the ticket/photo and that day's weather conditions.

Prosecutor will reward your appearance with a torn up ticket 80% of the time. If the Pros. is a --> , you'll have the $$ cut in 1/2 at least.

GOOD LUCK
Old 01-14-2014, 02:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Nope. Just playing devils advocate (as I hate all those bloody cameras), but I'm sure they would say you were driving too fast for road conditions.
thats exactly what i was thinking.
on the bright side if you go to court good chance prosecuter will reduce the fine substantially. or take your chance with a judge and perhaps pay the whole fine.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLabel View Post
Go to the scheduled court date with a copy of the ticket/photo and that day's weather conditions.

Prosecutor will reward your appearance with a torn up ticket 80% of the time. If the Pros. is a --> , you'll have the $$ cut in 1/2 at least.

GOOD LUCK
X2 this is the best way to handle this
Old 01-14-2014, 03:12 PM

Ok, so here is the jist. First, if you were unable to stop before the stop line, you under the TSA were not driving to conditions (ie slow down when its snowing and icy....).
Second, if you did not enter and proceed through the intersection then you did not fail to obey a red light.
I would at least go into the court on the date and ask the crown to reduce the ticket to the appropriate charge (172 vs 287)
You should understand that there are no demerits on the ticket due to it being sent to the registered owner.

Last edited by rem338win; 01-14-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:14 PM

Default alpineman

My daughter @ 16 yrs of age got a ticket for being in the back of her boy friends truck on private property. They didn`t have permission to be there. She read the Highway Traffic Act and found a loop hole. Private Land. Went to court and talked to Prosecutor and he threw case out. She felt great afterwards.

Discuss case with COPS. They can show you law but I believe you stopped before proceeding THROUGH intersection. Cameras have no discretion capability.

Before Court date you can stand in line at traffic Court and see a Prosecutor before Court date. They have no vested interest Not on a quota system.

Worst case for you go to Court, educated and either they throw case out or will reduce fine. You will feel great afterwards because you stood up. Do nothing and they have your money. Camera = no points
Old 01-14-2014, 04:37 PM

I would recommend that you hire someone to fight the ticket for you.

I had an issue with a photo radar and there was 3 vehicles in the picture my truck included. I saw the light flash and laughed my ass of at the point that the guy next to me got a ticket for speeding. Turned out that I got the ticket, not the speeder in the slow lane. I planned to fight the ticket, went down on my court date and was notified that if i wanted to dispute the ticket I had to make an appointment for another day. Made the appointment and returned a couple days later and was told they would work with me, I would just have to show up to the next court date. I missed the court date due to work and had to pay the whole fine. The system is now setup to keep people from fighting tickets.

The next issue I had was driving in the park lane(4 demerits $300 fine). Long story short is that a car was broken down in my lane in rush hour stop and go and no one would let me in and I went the wrong way around a car(in the park lane). Called up the Points people ($300 for cost) they took care of it and I ended up with a fine of $120 and no demerits.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineman View Post
While in Edmonton on 23Ave West bound and approaching 91st the Roads were snow and ice, I hit the brakes as soon as the light went yellow but crossed the sensors and stopped in the marked crosswalk without entering the intersection then backed up off the crosswalk. And now I have a $287 ticket for committing a red light violation. There is no picture of my vehicle in the intersection only before the crosswalk and stopped on the crosswalk. The roads are snow and ice in the picture.
I made my best effort to stop the vehicle and did not run throught the intersection.
Has anyone else had this happen.?
If the ticket is for running a red and the pic shows your vehicle not in the Intersection then I would take it to court.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:14 PM
Banned

Get a copy of the full photo, and if it does not show your vehicle in the intersection, it will be tossed.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:59 PM

The fact that they sent you the ticket, even though your vehicle was not in the intersection indicates that they just want your money, and they really don't care if you are guilty or innocent. They count on the fact, that many people won't bother going to court, to fight a ticket, that doesn't result in demerits.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:14 PM
Banned

How the heck did they get a picture of your plate? I think that I'd show up at court, plead not guilty and explain that I didn't run the red light.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:31 PM

Fight it, I work for large fleet and 90% of all photo radar tickets are thrown out because they mass shot the intersection and cannot determine who is speeding 3 cars go through one speeding all get tickets. They bank on people not showing up for court because the fine is less than losing a day of pay for court. I tell my staff to fight every photo radar ticket.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post

alpineman
They may say that you were driving too fast for road conditions, but that is not what you are charged with. If they mention that remind them that is not what you are charged with. You are charged with failing to stop for a red traffic light. Without seeing the pictures but from your description, I would say that you have a case to argue. I have not been in court in a long time but I think that traffic tickets first appearance are handled by a hearing officer. I would go to him with you explanation. If he will not dismiss or at least cut you a deal for a lessor fine and you have the time, plead not guilty and you will probably get a break. After all you made an attempt and did not blow through the intersection. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:51 PM

I just tried to talk down a red light ticket that happened in -40 with cars in the ditch as far as the eye can see. I slowed right down, saw that I couldn't stop without sliding a foot or two over, so I proceeded. Get pulled over and $287 ticket. Went in to talk to the prosecutor and he gave the speed for conditions deal. Got it down to $172 and 2 demerits. Not thrilled, but to go down again and fight just to get the same spiel and deal didn't make sense. The officer looked and my jeep and said "you were worried about stopping in that thing?'. Obviously no idea that it has no antilock, lockers which make cornering challenging and that 4 wheel go doesn't mean 4 wheel drive on sheer ice.

At least I saved a few $ and a demerit.