Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2019, 03:16 PM

Old 03-04-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
what an uneducated comment
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedogg View Post
We need to ban people from living here that try and drag this province down without any first hand knowledge, makes me sick!!! Here we thought the battle was with the people outside our province!
Relax boys, I’m one of those crayon eaters.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Relax boys, I’m one of those crayon eaters.
Don't fret DK.....

Let's keep pullin Dragons from the ground....
Your fleet depends on my fleet, my fleet depends on the the other fleet, rinse lather and repeat.

Unless Erin Brockovich shows up.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Don't fret DK.....

Let's keep pullin Dragons from the ground....
Your fleet depends on my fleet, my fleet depends on the the other fleet, rinse lather and repeat.

Unless Erin Brockovich shows up.
You boys keep on keeping on. We need you, despite what the orange Kool-Aid says!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 03-04-2019, 07:55 PM

Not rocket science. You bust the lime stone into sand so the gas can pass through it better, The earths crust on top is now setting on jello and can move as it wants. I thought the government put a stop to fracking as a result of the Fox Creek incidents.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
why should fracturing be banned?

Because of an earth quake that possibly has absolutely zero to do with hydraulic fracturing?

Early reports say they are looking into it to see if there was any activity in the area that contributed to it, but nothing remotely close to definitive?

Thanks for the education.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
Not rocket science. You bust the lime stone into sand so the gas can pass through it better, The earths crust on top is now setting on jello and can move as it wants. I thought the government put a stop to fracking as a result of the Fox Creek incidents.
Not exactly, and not exactly.
I won't touch on the first points as everyone nowadays has access to Google.
To answer your question, the AER shut down frac-ing around Fox until it could be determined if there were imminent risks of setting off another sizable quake. Once it was determined that the odds were slim, activity was allowed to commence. Albeit much more closely watched for the first 30 days or so.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:21 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Sigh........
Old 03-04-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Spoken as a true expert in the field.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:12 PM

Fracking can and will cause seismic activity, including earthquakes. That's a fact. Anyone who will tell you otherwise is just burring their head in the sand and doesn't want to deal with the real world.

It can, and does, effect ground water and/or water levels - another inconvenient truth.

The reality HOWEVER is that it rarely leads to seismic events of this size and has NEVER been attributed to major property damage or loss of life.

Keep on Keepin' on boys .......... but let's not deny for the sake of denial and look like a bunch of senseless fools.

I look at it this way ........slaughtering a pig for the freezer isn't pleasant to look at - but the boys need to eat ...... so slay away

Look up DANGER CATS ...........pounding mother earth ....... a good laugh ..... I did not post the link because I think it contravene's this site's policies - but it's pretty funny (and spot on).

Last edited by EZM; 03-05-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Fracking can and will cause seismic activity, including earthquakes. That's a fact. Anyone who will tell you otherwise is just burring their head in the sand and doesn't want to deal with the real world.

It can, and does, effect ground water and/or water levels - another inconvenient truth.

The reality HOWEVER is that it rarely leads to seismic events of this size and has NEVER been attributed to major property damage or loss of life.

Keep on Keepin' on boys .......... but let's not deny for the sake of denial and look like a bunch of senseless fools.

I look at it this way ........slaughtering a pig for the freezer isn't pleasant to look at - but the boys need to eat ...... so slay away

Look up DANGER CATS ...........pounding mother earth ....... a good laugh ..... I did not post the link because I think it contravene's this site's policies - but it's pretty funny (and spot on).
X2. Lube up a shallow fault and you will get a shallow localized earthquake as any tension is released. Companies learn what triggers such quakes and mitigate operations to prevent.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-05-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
why should fracturing be banned?

Because of an earth quake that possibly has absolutely zero to do with hydraulic fracturing?

Early reports say they are looking into it to see if there was any activity in the area that contributed to it, but nothing remotely close to definitive?
This looks fairly close to definitive.

https://calgarysun.com/pmn/news-pmn/...box=1551838512

And when you say "possibly has absolutely zero to do with", it's the same thing as saying "possibly has absolutely everything to do with".
Food for thought...
Old 03-05-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Well considering the earths crust is 20 to 30 miles thick, that is impressive.
I'm guessing your profession isn't rocket science?
Old 03-05-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I agree with this 100%
To deny reality takes away all credibility.
We're beyond wondering "if", that's already been proven several times.

Everyone in the oilfield is going to have to come to terms with that.

I personally see frac-ing going away all together one day, but for more reasons than just the tremors.
And I'm not anti-frac, I just see it for what it is...a process that has many pros and many cons. Unfortunately the cons are coming to light more and more.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Last year there was ice quakes at Alberta Beach due to the cold weather. Maybe similar here? Don't know.
That was a pretty cool event. The icequake at Lac Ste. Anne was due to the significant warming (about 30°C) that occurred during the 24 hours that preceded the 'quake. This caused rapid thermal expansion of the ice (of perhaps meters), which overwhelmed the strength of the frozen near-shore soils.

A few other key factors:

Snow cover on the lake was either absent or very thin, and thus provided very little thermal insulation against the above-mentioned warming.

The preceding late summer and fall were rainier than normal, which had two effects: 1. lake levels at Lac Ste. Anne were a bit higher than normal, so the force from the expanding ice pushed on soils higher up the bank than normal. 2. the soils were contained more moisture than normal, which made them stronger than normal when frozen - and so better transmitted the force from the expanding lake ice. This is why so many structures were damaged.

So, the icequakes and resulting damage seem to have been due to a pretty particular combination of conditions. Cool stuff.

*In addition to Lac Ste. Anne, icequakes were also felt that night at Gull, Wabamun, and Pigeon lakes.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:31 AM
Banned

This is the order to stop operations at the site:

http://www1.aer.ca/compliancedashboa...y%20_Order.pdf
Old 03-06-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
I agree with this 100%
To deny reality takes away all credibility.
We're beyond wondering "if", that's already been proven several times.

Everyone in the oilfield is going to have to come to terms with that.

I personally see frac-ing going away all together one day, but for more reasons than just the tremors.
And I'm not anti-frac, I just see it for what it is...a process that has many pros and many cons. Unfortunately the cons are coming to light more and more.
Well said ,im in the field and if you think this is not happing because of fracking .
Old 03-06-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Some people don't get sarcasm apparently.
If you only knew where DK was when he typed that you would be rolling on the ground laughing right now.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilgy View Post
If you only knew where DK was when he typed that you would be rolling on the ground laughing right now.
He was obviously not frac-ing well # 0489617.
That crew wasn't laughing
Old 03-06-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
This is the order to stop operations at the site:
http://www1.aer.ca/compliancedashboa...y%20_Order.pdf
Contained in the order is reference to a call from Vesta advising their fracking operation at the site was responsible for the event.
Did I read that right?
Old 03-06-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Contained in the order is reference to a call from Vesta advising their fracking operation at the site was responsible for the event.
Did I read that right?
My understanding is that Vesta’s seismometers were the first to register the earthquake.

My gut suggests they drilled horizontally across a fault and triggered it. 3D Seismic data over area will likely be used to reduce risk in the future.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-06-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilgy View Post
I was literally sitting on the bumper of a frac pump when I typed that haha.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
My understanding is that Vesta’s seismometers were the first to register the earthquake.

My gut suggests they drilled horizontally across a fault and triggered it. 3D Seismic data over area will likely be used to reduce risk in the future.
We have a winner.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:34 AM

Default Fracking

I like the Fracking debate, nuanced opinions are always better than absolutes. Research, data, and investigations are are worthwhile endeavours.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post

I think this needs to be clarified, it was not caused by the drilling, it was caused by the frac.
I'm sure that's what you meant though...