Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2007, 09:56 PM

Default brining a turkey

anyone out there brine their turkey before cooking it? i am in charge of the turkey this christmas and i am interested in trying it.....any advice....is it worth it??..tips...??
Old 12-14-2007, 10:07 PM

it wouldn't hurt it. ive never done a turkey before but many ruffies. the whole purpose of a marinate is to moisten and enhance flavor. u could do a combination of a marinate and injection. as for ingredient i usually use what ever i thinks gunna taste good. ex garlic, butter, herbs ect. Im in charge of the turkey this year 2. SO i told them no turkey, im marinating an elk roast from the cow i got this season and putting it on the rotissarie on the Bar-B. Gunna be one heck of a feast!
Old 12-14-2007, 11:55 PM

done it works great soaked a 16 lb bird in kosher salt brine for 18 -20 hrs along with some bay leaves and what nots google it to get the amount of salt , it isnt bad , stays pretty juicy but dont over cook i or it will b dry any way, deep fried isnt bad either 45 mins your done,
Old 12-14-2007, 11:57 PM

Where's treeguy for this question. Though he and I would both tell you just to deep fry it after injecting it with many wonderful flavored marinades

I've only had a turkey that was prepped with brine once. Seemed to taste ok to me but then again the guy put more of his bbq sauce on it every 10 minutes while it turned. Cooked slow with a good covering of sauce will keep it moist enough I think. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:09 AM

will do.....

i am actually not a deep fried turkey fan....smoked i love though
Old 12-15-2007, 12:21 AM

I have never brined without smoking it, they turn out great. Here is a link that has some info on brine.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=180
Old 12-15-2007, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordur View Post
Where's treeguy for this question. Though he and I would both tell you just to deep fry it after injecting it with many wonderful flavored marinades
OK, you asked for it! I just can't seem to head to bed without doing at least one evil post!

Clash, I've never brined a turkey before, but have used the injection method. I really liked it but most of my guests got pretty messed up from the residual heroine! They loved the brownies for desert though!

Tree
Old 12-15-2007, 05:31 AM

Default michael smith.chef at large......

mike did it this way (brine) 1 cup of salt and i cup of sugar for 1 gal of water.
when he was done brining it he rinsed the bird thourghly and patted it dry.
the sugar he said was to help in glazing the bird and even up the taste of the salt.he then rubbed the hell out of it with creamery butter salt/pepper etc.
hope this helps ya out a bit..........MB
Old 12-15-2007, 10:24 AM

If you're a member of Canadiangunnutz.com there is a good recipe for brining a turkey in the recipe section, posted by Gatehouse, who is an executive chef at a fancy hotel...
Old 12-15-2007, 11:25 AM

thanks for the tips everyone...i think i will try it this christmas and see how it goes...

and tree..was it regular heroine i should use...or some of that fancy BC black tar stuff?? hahaha