Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2007, 11:35 PM
Banned

Default WMU 102 or 104

Just wondering if you guys can give me a bit of a heads up about the Muley and antelope hunting in these areas. I'm just looking to expand into a new hunting area for Mulie bucks seeing as we are a CWD zone and its pretty much impossible to find a good buck now. I was just looking for some info on if they are good spots for a trophy or anywhere you else you guys can point me to. Not looking for your hot spots just want some general information on the areas. Thanks in advance
Old 12-11-2007, 07:50 AM

Anytime I've been in 102 there's been too many other hunters in my opinion. Never hunted 104 yet.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:21 AM

102 used to be a premier zone but has been hammered the last few years. there are some real crankers still running around though. I have whitey and elk hunted in 104 a few years back. We seen some great mulies and the tags seem to be fairley limited. Although it is a much smaller zone than most. I would go for either as your chances of a good deer are similar. 102 is also an excellent area for antelope with lots of wide open prairie. If you have the priority to draw mulie in 104 I would recommend that. The landowners seemed really good down there and we had no problems getting permission.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:27 PM

I've spent a lot of time in 102. All I can say is be prepared to walk a lot of miles and invest in a deer cart. The vast majority of the zone no longer has vehicle access - foot, bicycle or horse back only. If you look through the Alberta record book there have been some dandies pulled out of the zone in years gone by.
I've never hunted 104, but have driven through it lots. I've seen some really nice deer taken in that zone. (more than I've seen out of 102)
You gotta love those southern prairie zones - there is just something about them that keeps pulling me back year after year.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Banned

thanks for the information guys, I greatly appreciate it.