Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2007, 04:13 PM

Default Adding beef fat to roasts

I swear I've seen some threads on here of guys adding some rolled beef fat on the outside of their game roasts but cannot find them. I wanted to give it a try with our cow moose and couldn't remember what the fat was called and where one could buy some.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-13-2007, 04:41 PM

The true fat coating is called caul fat. Don't you watch the Iron Chef???? Another way to beef up (pun not intended) the fat content is to use a simple barding needle - puts the fat right into the meat. Personally, we don't add or want domestic fat in our wild meat. We roast game fast and hot and never more than medium rare. The lack of fat is the greatest part of it - squat for cholesterol. Rub large cuts down well with olive oil first, and the spice coat will stick better
Old 12-13-2007, 05:20 PM

Default bacon

use bacon it gets those juices in and around the roast
just roll bacon over and use tooth picks to hold in place
Old 12-13-2007, 05:26 PM

Bacon works great for adding flavor and keeping the moisture in.

I will take the round steak out of a deer in one piece. Tenderloin works too.
Put a bit of Montreal steak spice on it.
Then wrap in bacon
Cook on the BBQ.
mmmm!!!!

I even remember my Mom roasting goose breasts and legs with bacon on top of them. They didn't seem to dry out and tasted pretty good.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 12-13-2007, 06:54 PM

"rub large cuts down with olive oil" and add what ever spices you want by rolling the piece of meat in the mixture.

add some olive oil (enough to more than cover the bottom) to a good frying pan (i have a real nice teflon pan that works real well).

turn the heat way up and get the oil almost smoking hot. watch the top of the oil... just before the oil smokes it will "shimmer" on top... you might describe it as little waves. when it shimmers hold the meat with long tongs (if you don't you will soon figure out why long tongs are needed) and sear each side of the meat until it browns and starts to carmalize just slightly. again do this to all sides. then put it in a preheated oven and bake off till done. this searing will trap any juices in. you have basically made a barrier that the juices will not escape from....
Old 12-13-2007, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Caper View Post
"rub large cuts down with olive oil" and add what ever spices you want by rolling the piece of meat in the mixture.

add some olive oil (enough to more than cover the bottom) to a good frying pan (i have a real nice teflon pan that works real well).

turn the heat way up and get the oil almost smoking hot. watch the top of the oil... just before the oil smokes it will "shimmer" on top... you might describe it as little waves. when it shimmers hold the meat with long tongs (if you don't you will soon figure out why long tongs are needed) and sear each side of the meat until it browns and starts to carmalize just slightly. again do this to all sides. then put it in a preheated oven and bake off till done. this searing will trap any juices in. you have basically made a barrier that the juices will not escape from....
You're right - but use a GOOD teflon pan. You'll soften cheap coatings and wreck them, even with a wood or plastic utensil - (once in a while Cdn Tire sells high end KitchenAid teflon fry pans at less than half price - great deal). That's why a good cast iron fry pan is worth it's weight in you know what. Watch the smoke - it should be a blueish-gray. Blue is too hot, grayish-black is way too hot. You can see the color of the meat change as it cooks. Once the cooked color climbs up the thickness a quarter inch or so, roll it. Finished by baking at 350 deg F or so til it's 135 - 140 deg F internal temp should yield the perfectly cooked portion of game meat, doesn't matter what the cut, and a great way to test out the overall "edibility" of the animal.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:02 PM

how about cookin' it in a smoker instead. Nice & slow with a water pan, 6 hours to heaven.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:13 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barding_and_larding