Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-12-2007, 06:07 PM

Default Aviculture & more...

Aviculture: The Worldwide hobby of keeping and breeding numerous species of wild birds in captivity in order to maintain their normal numerical status in nature with a view to forestalling their extinction by supplying aviary raised stock -- Jean Delacour

OK, I don't expect many (any ?) to know of the above name (Jean).

But I've been reading on this forum various topics on ethics & morals.
Now having said that, I take you a step farther in this topic. One I have been fighting (internal) for some time now.

I've read about Ryan GSP and hunting Huns and now wanting to do a trip to B.C. for same , as well as wild California Valley Quail.

I raise Valley Quail & have been thinking about raising Huns.

I can get birds from many places, but it is not possible to get the genetics that is available in the the wild population in B.C.

My problem has been wanting to ask Ryan to keep a non injured bird for my breeding program(s).
As far as I know, it is not leagal in B.C. to keep any wild ones. Or even trap them.

But it is the time of year now that they'll move into car ports etc. in areas like OK Falls, Penticton etc. Locals HATE THEM for crapping on their cars & such. Many in that area look at them as "pests". Eating gardens and such.
Lord knows, there is no shortage of them in the area ! I worked down there and saw thousands, tens of thousands ! (as well as several other species)

Anyway, reading all the topics on ethics & such brought this to the forefront of my mind.
So far I have been able to resist trapping them or asking anyone to do so for me: a hard & rough road to travel.

All that walk upon the earth shall one day reside beneath : what prints are you leaving ?

(if you think about it, it is relevant to the topics mentioned)