Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-22-2018, 11:21 AM

Default Porcupine Hills

With only a few days before opening rifle season, I took a drive on 520 from 22 to Claresholm. Some cattle getting moved before the season starts but I only saw one camper (just off HWY 22). Aren't there usually many more camps set up by this time?
Old 10-22-2018, 02:04 PM

By the weekend it will be packed by the corral, it's like a mini city but most won't get out of their truck
Old 10-22-2018, 02:57 PM

Default Yep

There were alot of guys it seemed this year now hunting early, slowed a bit last couple weeks..it will be crazy all the way down come Thursday
Darrell
Old 10-22-2018, 04:36 PM

Is there some locations down there where a guy can park and just start hunting? I was looking at the site where you get the owner contact info, seemed a bit overwhelming for me, some want 30 day prior contact, restricted numbers per day, or contact the day prior, first come first served etc. I typically hunt Kananaskis, but gave up on that this year due to low wildlife count and high predator rate.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirt4u View Post
Is there some locations down there where a guy can park and just start hunting? I was looking at the site where you get the owner contact info, seemed a bit overwhelming for me, some want 30 day prior contact, restricted numbers per day, or contact the day prior, first come first served etc. I typically hunt Kananaskis, but gave up on that this year due to low wildlife count and high predator rate.
Oh yeah! to the Porkies
Old 10-22-2018, 06:38 PM

Is the porkies the same place as Bob creek or different access points?
Old 10-22-2018, 07:22 PM

Talked to f&w ,they are going to be heavily enforcing the 14 day camping rule
Old 10-22-2018, 07:51 PM

Just called a leaseholder in the area requesting permission. I was super polite even told him I’d tried knocking at his house a couple times. Wow. Never had kind of reaction.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:01 PM

Well F&W better get their truck fixed fast. It was towed to our shop early this morning front end all smashed and blood everywhere, lol.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirt4u View Post
Is the porkies the same place as Bob creek or different access points?
Bob Creek is west of HWY 22 north of the Oldman River..Porkies are east of 22.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:04 AM

How is the change to the forestry access this past year going to change things? Reading on the aep website, it looks as though there will be no vehicle access(truck/arc/motorbike) off of the main trail? Am I reading that correctly?

If so, there should be some really good hunting for those that want to hike a ways in. But that’s a long hike out with an elk on the back!

Also if motorized vehicle access is limited to the main trail, wonder how this will be enforced??

Should be interesting

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2018, 04:20 PM

OHV Ban has caused a few Skyline old boys I know to move to other areas due to their physical limitations. But ya it's been quieter than normal for sure.

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/928f...ph-apr2018.pdf

Should get busier the next few days. I'm taking a new hunter down there tomorrow for a final day of trying to get a Mule Buck with bow, should be interesting.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil69 View Post
OHV Ban has caused a few Skyline old boys I know to move to other areas due to their physical limitations. But ya it's been quieter than normal for sure.

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/928f...ph-apr2018.pdf

Should get busier the next few days. I'm taking a new hunter down there tomorrow for a final day of trying to get a Mule Buck with bow, should be interesting.
Good luck!!!
Old 10-24-2018, 07:27 AM

A buddy and I are headed there for rifle opener tomorrow and Friday. Never been before during rifle season. We've heard a ton of horror stories, but it's a beautiful place and we are going to try anyways. And we are wearing orange...

I have a feeling the "spot" that we scouted for plan A will likely already be taken by some campers. Probably the same for plans B, C, a D too haha

But that's public land I guess! It's there for all of us. As long as (most) people aren't *****holes and know how to be safe, I'm fine with some competition. I'll find some crappy looking spot somewhere and start hiking.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:41 AM

If you're willing to put some miles on with your boots there is some great hunting. The changes to the motorized access may reduce the amount of people. In any case, the animals will probably be moving due to the hunting pressure so you never know. The blaze orange is a good idea. Good luck!
Old 10-26-2018, 12:31 PM

Anyone have an update on how opening day at Porcupine Hills went? I was down there a couple years ago for opening day and swore I'd never go back. Just wondering if the new OHV regs made it any more tolerable.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:10 PM

Heard there was even more people now
Old 10-26-2018, 08:52 PM

Porcupine Hills were a completely overcrowded mess 25 years ago when I hunted that area .................. I can't imagine what it would be like today. Be careful in there guys.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:38 AM

‘‘Twas out the last two days in 305. Seem like a few less hunters this year. Some atvers just ignore the new regulations. Seen guys driving quads and side by sides without helmets going up and down the main roads including hywY 520. ENTITLEMENT I guess. On a good note we seen two young fellas get a bull elk and they packed in out on their backs. Fish and wildlife were busy “educating “people on the new rules. Definitely less hunters than previous years.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:24 AM

Basically ghost town last two days. Best place to go for opening weekend. Don't forget your quad.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
Basically ghost town last two days. Best place to go for opening weekend. Don't forget your quad.
so this is a joke ? I don't get it
Old 10-27-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
so this is a joke ? I don't get it
I’d have to think he hunts in a WMU that’s close by and hoping guys go into porkies rather than his area!!
Old 10-28-2018, 10:00 AM

No joke at all. Had my hot dog stand set up on skyline road again this year. Business was terrible. Just another sign of the tough times I guess.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:17 AM

Default Porcupine Hills

Was out on private land that bordered the porcupine hills forestry. No shortage of guys who “allegedly “didn’’t know”” they were no longer allowed to take a quad in to forestry.

DR

Old 10-28-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRhunter View Post
Was out on private land that bordered the porcupine hills forestry. No shortage of guys who “allegedly “didn’’t know”” they were no longer allowed to take a quad in to forestry.

DR

Your allowed to still take quads. Designated trails only. A lot less trails then there used to be. We spent the first two days in the hills. More people than I enjoy seeing. Sounded like a gun range was open for the first four hours of both mornings. Not sure about years past but there was a lot of people out. Sure didn’t see a hotdog stand or I would of been stopping in
Old 10-28-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinisgood View Post
Your allowed to still take quads. Designated trails only. A lot less trails then there used to be. We spent the first two days in the hills. More people than I enjoy seeing. Sounded like a gun range was open for the first four hours of both mornings. Not sure about years past but there was a lot of people out. Sure didn’t see a hotdog stand or I would of been stopping in

No question you are allowed on designated trails, here is the map:
http://aep.alberta.ca/recreation-pub...ap-Oct2018.pdf

However the ridge I was watching on the border of the forestry, I counted at least 4 different quads/side by sides. This is far off the designated trails, but again not too sure how they plan on enforcing it. Until they do, guys will still take advantage.

DR

Old 10-29-2018, 07:02 AM
Banned

They did use helicopters on saturday, i was on a ridge north of riley. It wasn't actually that busy according to locals. Some spots were busy. Not much for elk. Will go back once the snow comes down. Certain areas were void of people since there were big grizzly tracks on the road.

Beautiful country down there, was my first time hunting that area. Got me a nice wt buck.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:19 AM

I was across the hwy, went to Bob creek. There was about 2 dozen trucks with trailers there early in the morning. Two F&W trucks and trailers there also. I didn't go to far from the truck because of my sore knee. The only shooting I heard was when a guy got a whitetail in the bush I was in. Lots of older elk sign, but no elk spotted. On a side note there was a horrible crash on hwy 22, vehicle upside down on the road one off in the pasture and a hugh bull moose dead on the road.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:43 PM

Which part was the grizz in?
Old 10-30-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasc43 View Post
Which part was the grizz in?
More than one...guaranteed!
Oh, wait...they're "threatened"