Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-12-2012, 09:03 AM

Default What a Rip OFF

Checked into replaicing my Boat Operators Card.Being a tourny fisherman,we are asked for it a fair amount.It is broken and cant hardlt read the numbers.They want $23.62 for a new one.Holy Crap ,talk about a cash grab!!!!
Old 06-12-2012, 09:10 AM

Did you think the operators license was anything but a money grab right from the beginning? I'm surprised you don't have to redo the course for double cost just because it's your second time around! The whole thing is a joke.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fehr View Post
Did you think the operators license was anything but a money grab right from the beginning? I'm surprised you don't have to redo the course for double cost just because it's your second time around! The whole thing is a joke.
haha
Old 06-12-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fehr View Post
x infinity and beyond!
Old 06-12-2012, 11:05 AM

I can tell you feel safer already.....

LC
Old 06-12-2012, 01:20 PM

Its a huge rip, and the only thing to come next will be tags for every fish kept, which will come a nice cost, i'm sure. It will just equal more lawbreakers and less F&W officers....as it is a huge under-funded organization!
Old 06-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Banned

why bother replacing it? you still have it and if someone else can't read it too bad.

do these cards have expiry or renewal dates? are they plastic like our wins or cheap paper like the fishing lic.?
Old 06-12-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnyder View Post
Checked into replaicing my Boat Operators Card.Being a tourny fisherman,we are asked for it a fair amount.It is broken and cant hardlt read the numbers.They want $23.62 for a new one.Holy Crap ,talk about a cash grab!!!!
I wonder if they would give you a free drivers license if you could not read the numbers anymore. hmmmmmmmmmm NOT

Keep the new one is plastic
Old 06-12-2012, 02:08 PM

Quit yer bitchin, I bet that doesn't even recover their cost of paying the dumb ****s to do data entry.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:18 PM

Default ask this clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yéil View Post
Just got my operator's...did it online and it cost 49.00.

I did 20 plus years in the Navy and can drive everything from a Zodiac to an AOR. I had all my bridge and command quals, nav quals as well as weapons, engines, RASing and NATO and Non-NATO mooring quals. I've done SAR, diving and recovery as well. I've also sailed in the J and Maxi Class and have done 2 Whitbread (now Volvo Ocean Race), 3America's, 2 Rolex and 5 Fastnet races plus a zillion smaller races.

I still had to write the test... if you don't want to pay for the exam or write it, then learn to row a boat or get yourself a paddle pontoon. If you want to get underway with power, then suck it up, pay the cost of the exam and write the damn test. All this conspiracy theory about money grabs is just your sense of self entitlement coming though... The money grab is actually private industry and not the govt. Transport Canada doesn't get a dime from the course.

Deaths from boating accidents have been on the decline since the competency card was required. We've gone from over 800 deaths in 1991 down to 550 by 2005. Most of those death are attributed to not wearing a PFD/drowning.
above is the brains behind this operation.......
Old 06-12-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebossy View Post
above is the brains behind this operation.......
Aww, bless your pointed little head. I can see why you are reluctant to try to take the test, your reading and comprehension functions are remarkably below the level of a dullard.

My post was to point out that no one gets a freebie on the card not even those that have spent their life on the sea. I met my husband while I was teaching sea survival and seamanship to his class. We both had to write the civvy test when we wanted to own a civvy power boat.

How's the paddle boat coming along?
Old 06-13-2012, 02:29 AM

same brilliant reasoning as before Yeil , when you were commanding all those amazing watercraft you mentioned before did they forget to tell you your ultimate job was to drive one of the subs at West Edmonton Mall?
Old 06-13-2012, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebossy View Post
same brilliant reasoning as before Yeil , when you were commanding all those amazing watercraft you mentioned before did they forget to tell you your ultimate job was to drive one of the subs at West Edmonton Mall?
haha ..good one . x 2
Old 06-13-2012, 07:31 PM

I agree with the OP about the cost being pricey to replace the card. However, I can't help but feel justified for thinking that for anyone who owns a boat, the cost is probably not too steep. Again, if getting a license means someone is "educated" and "certified", then I would feel so much safer riding in that person's boat, as to any yahoo with the means to afford power. Then again, just because you know about safety doesn't necessarily mean you will practice being safe. At the very least, the yahoos won't have any excuse pleading ignorance.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:34 PM

Well as for the price.... It is like a tax to have a boat....yet another tax....

And we recently seen and herd guys dying in boating accidents .... Our hearts go out to them... But I am sure thy had the boaters license .... It comes down to education... I would like to see guy needing to take a course to get a license ... Just like a pal
Old 06-13-2012, 08:37 PM

Nobody knows about being taxed to death than an Ontarian. lol
Old 06-13-2012, 08:43 PM

The reason anyone has to have a boat licence started on Lake Couchiching Ontario when a 15 year old on a jet ski decided to side swipe a canoe with two girls in it. He miss timed it and smashed into the canoe and both girls drowned. The father of one of the girls push the federal government to implement a licence and age limit for boat and jet ski operation
Old 06-16-2012, 11:51 AM

I took mine the first year they were offered at that time you only needed it if you were under 16 to ride a PWC. My card is isn't even remotely legible but when I phoned they told me they need the date of the course. Took it 16 years ago needless to say the date has slipped my mind.