Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-03-2014, 02:36 PM

Default Atv'ing and the gear you carry with it.

So I went out quadding with a buddy of mine this past weekend. he brought his 13 year old daughter and I my 5 year old. Long story short, he ended up flipping his quad with his daughter in it straight upside down in a mud/water hole. Aside from being cold and wet they were unhurt. That being said however he couldn't get his quad to start again as the electric start wouldnt work anymore and to pull start it required the worlds strongest man to pull. I ended up having to tow him with mine about 10 or so kms back to the road where our wives came to pick us up with the trucks.

During the tow back, we were going through some big rutted spots and he got flipped again, a lil more bruised this time. Were lucky he wasnt more hurt than he was as it was fast getting dark and only one working quad with 2 little girls.

My question here lies as I am prepping to go on a week long moose hunt this upcoming weekend with some friends and curios as to what kind of gear you carry in your quad for situations like this. I've got a pretty good list I think so far but yet to be an experianced atv'er.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:48 PM

Wow. Glad to hear everyone is ok.

Besides my little survival bag (fire, space blanket, flash light etc) I carry a tool bag w screwdriver and some assorted wrenches, spare knife, saw, tire plugs, duct tape, a cheap 12v compressor from CT, couple bottles of water and a small tarp.

As far as pull starting a quad I've found that if I slowly pull the recoil once to de-compress the cylinder I can then pull start the quad without ripping my arm off. Works on a suzuki anyway....

Hope this helps

LA
Old 11-03-2014, 03:42 PM

Old honda trikes used to have a de compression lever. If you didn't use it, you left your fingers on the handle lol. Do newer atv's have this function? Don't think you can pull start a fuel injected quad.

I have a big back seat box for my atv, it usually has more than i need but I like to over pack. The colder it gets, the more winter stuff goes in. Those little gas line antifreeze bottles are a must, they can un thaw fuel lines, brake levers and ignitions. Fire sticks, emergency blanket, small tarp, rope. Extra quad key in case you drop one in 2 feet of snow and cant find it. Extra socks.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:55 PM

In addition to the other suggestions I like to carry extra gloves and toque, I use them all the time for myself or others out with me. You can boost an atv with small wire and a set of alligator clamps just let it charge for a bit. I was just told you can pull/ tow start automatics in drive, I don't know if thAt is all brands. I carry a leatherman. I keep lots of bungies on the atv. A few tie downs and a small shovel like the snowmobilers have. Always start off with a full tank, always .... Plans change. Always have a power saw or axe.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:33 PM

I carry one of those booster packs too. I was out ice fishing one time and my quad wouldn't turn over fast enough to start. It wouldn't pull start either. Luckily it warmed up as the afternoon went on and I was able to pull start it. I've carried a booster pack ever since. It also has a built in air compressor. I carry tire plugs a fire starter kit, emergency blankets tow straps and a hatchet. Also a shovel and flashlight
Old 11-03-2014, 07:47 PM

In my quad box I carry paper towel, duct tape, tow rope and clevices, soft strap, rope, a 12v air pump with flat tire goop, tire plug kit, a dry box with (registration and insurance, fire starter packs, multi tool and matches), my quad has a tool kit under the seat and I also pack a little ratchet set.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:19 PM

On top of the usuals I carry a air compressor, small tie wraps(great for if you puncture a side wall on a tire, you can stuff it full of moss and stitch it up), electrical tape, hay wire, buck saw, tow straps, two tarps, machete, axe, on and on
Old 11-03-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
In addition to the other suggestions I like to carry extra gloves and toque, I use them all the time for myself or others out with me. You can boost an atv with small wire and a set of alligator clamps just let it charge for a bit. I was just told you can pull/ tow start automatics in drive, I don't know if thAt is all brands. I carry a leatherman. I keep lots of bungies on the atv. A few tie downs and a small shovel like the snowmobilers have. Always start off with a full tank, always .... Plans change. Always have a power saw or axe.

I don't think that it will work with a Yamaha. They have an internal clutch that has to hit a certain rpm before it will engage the primary clutch. The engine has to rev before it will engage.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:11 PM

I'm not very familiar with pull starting quads and maybe I'm being an idiot, but why couldn't you have used the working quad to pull the cord? Could have used shoe laces to extend the length, or at least that's how it seems to me.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:30 PM

Never leave without a little "common sense" in the tool box....
Old 11-03-2014, 09:42 PM

This topic gets to me a bit. Guys when you carry a pile of stuff on a quad, please load the gear on the front rack. Those rear seat tool box deals are a death trap. Weight on the front. Thank you.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:33 PM

I actually carry an old school bicycle pump instead of a compressor. Used to carry one, but when the temps drop the cord gets brittle and can snap in about 500 pieces. I also carry a few extra fuses, spare spark plug, a roll of hare snare wire, axe, few bic lighters, one pair of socks, a pair of pants, an extra sweater, some water. Under the front rack on my Polaris has the water tight (for the most part unless you put it upside down in the water) compartment, so that's where I keep anything I don't want wet. The rear box has a tarp, pump, and a few other odds and ends. I usually quad alone so I like to plan if I ever have to spend a night.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:46 PM

Here is my cousin's 1996 Timberwolf on a ride this year. To get it running again:
-drain airbox with pliers, squeeze out filter
-use spark plug wrench to take out plug, pulled a couple times to get the mud out of the cylinder (your buddies was likely "hydrolocked" which made it difficult to pull start, water doesn't compress easy)

After about 50 pulls with the choke on, it fired back up and he rode it for a bit. The throttle kept sticking so we used a pocket knife as a phillips screw driver. The throttle was full of mud, some clean water fixed that enough to get back to camp.

Changed the oil after sinking her, it was milky and about 2L too full.

I have on me the yamaha tool kit, wrench, spark plug wrench, screw driver, pliers. I also have a small bicycle pump, but after getting a slow leak and spending 10mins pumping that little thing, I wish I had a 12v compressor.

That was one of the funnest rides yet!

Old 11-04-2014, 01:59 AM

I always carry a large dry bag with a change of clothes in it. I have not only used the clothes for me but for others on the trip who weren't prepared. This bag is good for many other things that don't need to get wet.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:35 AM

A good fire starter and I make sure to clean and water proof my pull start frequently.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:45 AM

i carry spare fuel, oil ,shovel, comealong ,rope ,tarp rations first aid kit tools flashlight maps compass spare sparkplugs

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”