Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-03-2014, 12:54 PM

Default Pheasant release site observation

Was at one of the pheasant release sites yesterday . Dog and I pushed all morning with no roosters and only 3 other early morning hunters around. In the afternoon the release truck showed up . Within 1/2 hour many trucks and hunters were on the scene . 1 fella with a Springer and another fella with a Pointer chasing birds away 4 and 500 yards from the whistle .My birds his birds. 5 of them flying out of boundary. Although I did end up with my birds in the afternoon it sure was a peaceful morning .
Old 11-03-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Ray View Post
Was at one of the pheasant release sites yesterday . Dog and I pushed all morning with no roosters and only 3 other early morning hunters around. In the afternoon the release truck showed up . Within 1/2 hour many trucks and hunters were on the scene . 1 fella with a Springer and another fella with a Pointer chasing birds away 4 and 500 yards from the whistle .My birds his birds. 5 of them flying out of boundary. Although I did end up with my birds in the afternoon it sure was a peaceful morning .
Myself, I noticed it gets harder and harder as the season goes by. Opening day I hear many people flush several within the first 2 hours with no dogs now you need a dog just to flush one... that is what I noticed.....
Old 11-03-2014, 01:49 PM

Smile Pointed an 8 point wt to-day

The birds are still there, just harder to get. The dogs always find a few.

She locked up facing a large pile of downed timber, when I got up to her, I tried to get her to flush the bird and she wouldn't move. That means she can see what ever she is pointing at.

Then I thought what if it is a porky, so I took a baby step forward and an 8 point wt busk stood up and ambled back deeper in the bush. 6 feet away, very cool.

Glad it wasn't a porky.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:49 PM

Can I ask you was this at Daysland yesterday ?
Old 11-03-2014, 02:01 PM

I heard Daysland is done for the year but are they still releasing at Buffalo Lake?
Old 11-03-2014, 02:01 PM

Yes you can ask me and no it was not.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:18 PM

It pays to "work the corners" at release sites, as busy as they are there are still less hunted areas. Two Sundays ago I ran into friends who have two good dogs who only put up one bird , I walked to a corner and had my two birds in a half hour. And even though some birds get walked by , there are areas I don’t bother walking since party after party works those areas. Mind you yesterday I am on my way out and the pup locks up 75 yards from the parking lot, who knows how many hunters and dogs walk passed that day. I am not sure if it was just the snow or the snow and soggy birds but the birds were holding very tight yesterday, they had dug into any available cover, and took serious convincing to leave cover.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:25 PM

Daysland yesterday was very wet with a steady drizzle all day. The birds were either holding tight or were runners before flushing. There was enough people around that you would be watching to change directions to avoid dog interferences.

Daysland on Saturday my dogs put up three and I got 2. On the way back the dogs put up a bird with a broken wing tip, in the grass. I called them off and spoke with 3 different groups of guys about the wounded bird. The third group was willing to go after a bird that was wounded that they had not shot at. Very nice to see.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:46 PM

Default Did I read this right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Ray View Post
In the afternoon the release truck showed up . Within 1/2 hour many trucks and hunters were on the scene
Are you suggesting that the release truck driver or local farmers are calling their buddies to hunt behind the truck? And if so, then having no dog control and flushing birds off the release property?

If, I'm reading between the lines, It could explain the difficulties and low bird numbers for just the average guy with no connections.

Maybe I'm crazy, but it would suck if this was happening.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:15 PM

I am just sharing observations and would like you and all to deduce your own conclusions. The timing was impeccable though.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:40 AM

Default release site

I can't imagine you have to actually walk and work for your birds......puphood1
Old 11-04-2014, 07:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyhood1 View Post
I can't imagine you have to actually walk and work for your birds......puphood1
Beautiful Setter Pic!
Old 11-04-2014, 09:14 AM

Default daysland

Just wondering if they have finished releasing birds at Daysland or are they doing one more release. I was thinking of going out on Saturday.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:46 AM

I believe Daysland is done. Next best thing is Buffalo Lake. It's unfortunate that the ethical part of hunting is left out. I see no point as a hunter and a dog handler to go out and shoot birds that were just released from a truck. There are places in the city that sell pheasants all cleaned and ready to eat as there really is no difference than what these people are doing by going shoot birds just released. I think that ab conservation needs to change some of there by laws and incorporate all release sites to no hunting after 2:00 pm so birds can be released and at least there is some ethics in bird hunting.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASROMA View Post
I think that ab conservation needs to change some of there by laws and incorporate all release sites to no hunting after 2:00 pm so birds can be released and at least there is some ethics in bird hunting.
I personally think this is a fantastic idea ,it has been discussed with my hunting partners and we all Agree as well!
Cat
Old 11-04-2014, 02:33 PM

Default pheasant release sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
Beautiful Setter Pic!
A great Atypical Llewellyn with out the typical Setter falts. ....puphood1