Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-28-2014, 02:46 PM

Default Comment your tips on bush stalking deer

Hi all...I'm a new hunter and I'm kinda frustrated...

I headed out on my own to a spot where I seen deer during my first time hunting with a buddy...got there and like always this deer seem me before I see them and off they go without giving me a chance to take a clear shot...

What's is your guys suggestion on stalking / spotting deer in heavy dayton valley like bush....this animals seem to quick...they hear you, smell you and see y before u can react
Old 10-28-2014, 03:00 PM
Banned

Slow down ... scan your surrounding's before your every step ... Did I mention SLOW
Old 10-28-2014, 03:04 PM

I find it really hard to stalk deer in thick bush and generally stalking deer is a skill that takes extreme patience, lots of skill and some good luck never hurts either. I'm still working to perfect it but am personally more successful setting up in feeding areas, just off of trails or any high traffic area and ambushing them instead. The margin for error is a little higher for ambushing than still hunting or spot & stalking.

When the guys who are good at it chime in, I'm thinking you are going to hear two common themes, watch the wind & you can't move slow enough.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-28-2014, 03:05 PM

Here is what I can offer you from experience.

1. Be as scent free as you can. Spray evrything down hat, boots, clothing, Get a carbon face mask if you can to mask even your breath. Don't eat or even drink coffee with your gear on and don't smoke or chew tobacco.

2. Be as quiet as you can in the bush. Walk 3-5 steps then take a look and listen for a minute or so. Use binos to look for anything and everything around you, A glimps of an antler, a tuft of fur or a moving branch.

3. Try to get a look out above where you may be able to see where the deer are bedding down. That might/should give you a better idea of where to start your stalk from.

4. Finally persistence and patience. You can't kill them if your not hunting.

I may not be Will Primos, but I have had some success with these ideas/tips. don't ;ose hope, it will all come together for you. Good luck!
Old 10-28-2014, 03:06 PM

Better if you quit this hunting business now. If you're already frustrated at this stage of the game no advice is gonna do you much good. When you get busted for the hundredth time it will start to sink in that this is different than a video game. Best advice is if you think you're moving slow enough cut that speed in half, twice. With the amount of wolves out there deer are gone if they see any movement. Best of luck!
Old 10-28-2014, 03:10 PM

Well that's encouraging.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by top-pin View Post
Here is what I can offer you from experience.

1. Be as scent free as you can. Spray evrything down hat, boots, clothing, Get a carbon face mask if you can to mask even your breath. Don't eat or even drink coffee with your gear on and don't smoke or chew tobacco.
X2 . Also what i do and theres no shortage of absinth wormwood in alberta. I pick a few plants every year and i chew on them while im hunting. Very bitter and strong. Also kills the odors in my mouth from food and drink.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:25 PM

When I was a kid, my Grandfather would take me along on his walks. Best thing he ever showed me was a tic-tac package with about 4 tic-tacs in it. He would put that in my hip pocket and tell me to walk slowly enough so as to make sure the thing didn't make any sound.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:44 PM

In areas like drayton its sooo important to know your area. It helps knowing every game trail, funnel, water hole, patch of buck brush, hillside, rise etc etc etc. plan a strategic route before heading out. Picture in your head what corner you will round while anticipating a lifting deer. When you learn the area youll learn the quietest routes in while playing the wind. Might take ya a couple years buddy....but thats part of poppin yer cherry
Old 10-28-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhunterjp View Post
Hi all...I'm a new hunter and I'm kinda frustrated...

I headed out on my own to a spot where I seen deer during my first time hunting with a buddy...got there and like always this deer seem me before I see them and off they go without giving me a chance to take a clear shot...

What's is your guys suggestion on stalking / spotting deer in heavy dayton valley like bush....this animals seem to quick...they hear you, smell you and see y before u can react
find a funnel area , transition trail or a meadow, and sit on it far enopugh back that yolu doon't disturb the area but you can still get a clear shot.
Make sure the wind is in your face and position yourself so you can comfortably and resiliently shoulder your rifle.
Even when you look around, move your eyes before you move your head and move them slowly.
it will all come together.
Cat
Old 10-28-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
In areas like drayton its sooo important to know your area. It helps knowing every game trail, funnel, water hole, patch of buck brush, hillside, rise etc etc etc. plan a strategic route before heading out. Picture in your head what corner you will round while anticipating a lifting deer. When you learn the area youll learn the quietest routes in while playing the wind. Might take ya a couple years buddy....but thats part of poppin yer cherry
Use the wind to your advantage. Move slow no jerky movements, if you are looking around move your eyes before you move your head. If the deer is looking in your direction freeze in your tracks. You will make mistakes but learn from them. Wait for your shot. Good luck
Old 10-28-2014, 03:53 PM

When you stop to look around, drop down on your haunches...you get a different point of view, a little more like the view the deer have. Don't wear noisy jewellery...ticking/alarming watches....don't have anything that makes metal on metal sounds....avoid using Velcro....

You can buy little puffer bottles of powder to check the wind, if the wind is swirling around lots your likely not to see anything, try something else.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:04 PM

Default Comment your tips on bush stalking deer

Remember to treat the sounds of your movement as a call in itself. Take a few steps, stop... Lather, rinse and repeat.

You want to sound like you are relaxed and browsing, not marching or worse yet, fleeing.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:14 PM

Always hunt the wind.
If you think your going too slow, slow down.
Use the hook pattern.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:54 PM

Very slow,
Very quiet,
Play the wind right,
And spend as much time as you can hunting.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:25 PM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

Use the game trails, don't go off trails making your own path. Similar in a way to someone walking down the sidewalk in your own community. Wouldn't cause you to take a second look. That same person walking through backyards and in the middle of the street is going to create alarm.

Carry a doe bleet, grunt or calf elk call loose and ready to use. If you get busted or accidently make some noise crouch down and give a soft call. Be patient and wait for a while. A good percentage of the time your presence will not cause much alarm.

It has been mentioned but cannot be over stressed. Walk slowly. My Pa said to carry loose ammo in my pocket. If they are clinking you are walking too fast. I like the suggestion of Tic Tacs better.

A grazing whitetail deer will flicker it's tail a split second before it raises it's head to look around. That can give you time to freeze if you are stalking.

Wear quiet clohing. Grass and small willows etc brushing against you should not make any more noise than if it was brushing against a deer etc.

If you are moving it is much more difficult for you to see movement. Watch how wild game walks. Step, step, step pause....step step...pause ad nauseum.

General rule of thumb. Predators move in a straight line. Prey moves in semi-circles and curves.

In depth knowledge of the area you are stalking is very important. You should be walking that area in the off season.

Regards,
Dave.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:29 PM

great info guys ...this community is really helpful...it all makes sense....Im sure with getting out there lots of times im sure I can try to accomplish all the good advices...the only one I see to be a bit of a challenge is "walking without making any noise" as there is tall thick grass to get to the hunting spot...literally it would take a good 3 hours to get there walking silently and stealthy.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:33 PM

Lots of great tips.
One more.
Look behind you every once in a while. Sometimes those critters will circle around to get a look or a smell at what you might be, especially moose ive found.

Just read your last comment. Dont rush to get to a spot, you never know.
If it takes 3 hrs, leave earlier.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
Lots of great tips.
One more.
Look behind you every once in a while. Sometimes those critters will circle around to get a look or a smell at what you might be, especially moose ive found.

thanks man; on another note: can you please shed some light on choosing a spot....to be honest with you the only reason why I picked my particular spot was because upon arriving there...I immediately saw 2 deer running away, then coming back also saw another one.... and my second time I did had a clear shot at one as it stop for a second to wait for its partner to catch up and I quickly got ready...however my adrenaline and taking a shot while standing up and heavly breathing made me miss by a hair
Old 10-28-2014, 05:59 PM

Others have all given great suggestions.
Stalking deer or any game on foot is almost an art. It takes years to get down and even then mistakes happen. Patience, walk very slow, and always be down wind of your quarry.
As for choosing a spot it really depends. Some choose where they feed, some choose where they bed down. Some choose the path they take to get in between. Observing the habits of the animals your hunting beforehand almost always gives you an advantage.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhunterjp View Post
thanks man; on another note: can you please shed some light on choosing a spot....to be honest with you the only reason why I picked my particular spot was because upon arriving there...I immediately saw 2 deer running away, then coming back also saw another one.... and my second time I did had a clear shot at one as it stop for a second to wait for its partner to catch up and I quickly got ready...however my adrenaline and taking a shot while standing up and heavly breathing made me miss by a hair
Sounds like you have a good spot. Patience brother, patience. Remember too, its not just about killing a deer, enjoy the day.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:33 PM

Default thanks again

thanks again guys...all of your tips and comments are greatly appreciated.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:41 PM

Google maps is your friend.

Find openings, funnels or thinner tree growth areas most people driving from the road have no idea are there.

I have shot more decent deer in what looks like thick brush from the road but only travel a couple hundred yards in and deer feel less pressure from the road and traffic.

Find a opening with trails and sit or walk very slowly. You ll bump into something.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:42 PM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
Lots of great tips.
One more.

YES!...another one that my Pa taught me that I forgot. Don't forget to look behind you. Excellent tip!

On that same sort of note. If conditions are really noisy such as tons of dry leaves and you just cannot walk without making noise there is something to try. I tried it once and had a chance at the biggest moose of my life.

It was a long sloping cutline that dropped off into a muskeg. Lots of moose in the area but due to warm weather and too many dry leaves hunting was very difficult. I had read a tip in a magazine about deliberately stomping down the line without even trying to be quiet, moving steady without stopping.

I stomped my way to a place where I could see a long ways down my back trail then hid behind a tree and waited and watched. Not even 15 minutes later this big bull walked out and stood broadside looking up and down the line. You could almost hear him asking "What fool just stomped down this line making all that noise?

The theory is that game that is a distance off the line is not all that scared of the noise because you are moving steady and they can track you easily. After you move away they get curious and come out to look. The idea worked in a situation where there was really nothing else to do, so keep it in your "bag o' tricks".

Oh yeah...I missed. The product of a cheap scope on a good rifle.
Regards,
Dave
Old 10-28-2014, 06:43 PM

if you make noise do a couple rattles, grunt camo your movement deer make noise to going through the bush

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 10-28-2014, 06:45 PM

Hoochie mama on your belt. If you get busted give it a squeeze. Might give you an extra second.

Scope on lowest setting or arrow on string. rangefinder handy, whatever you can do to speed up your shot process.

Move to cover, then stop, do not stop out in the open. It's funny cause its hard to do but once you figure it out you will see a lot of people walking out 2-3 steps into the open to "have a look". Deer look over an area from 5 yards back in cover.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:47 PM

Don't know if this got mentioned yet, but when you are moving - walking very very slowly and pausing a lot to look around - look for parts of a deer, not the whole thing. Sometimes all you'll see is an ear, or eye, antler, or leg. Look for 'twitches' of ear or tail. Also look for horizontal 'lines' - especially if the colour is 'off' from the surroundings, it could be a deer's back or belly.

Also, listen a lot! on occasion when in pretty dense cover you will hear a deer snort or stamp but nothing more. That usually means you've been detected but the deer isn't sure what you are. So stop and start sllllllllooooooowwwwwwllly scanning the bush nearby. Use binoculars. I've done just that and suddenly spotted 'part' of the deer that made the noise.

Also, when stopped and scanning the bush, crouch down and have a look from that lower down position. It's worked for me .

Another tactic we used to use back east was, if we spooked a deer, we'd just sit down right there for awhile, watching everything around us. Sometimes, if they don't feel they are being pursued, they will come back around from another direction to see what spooked them.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
When you stop to look around, drop down on your haunches...you get a different point of view, a little more like the view the deer have. Don't wear noisy jewellery...ticking/alarming watches....don't have anything that makes metal on metal sounds....avoid using Velcro....

You can buy little puffer bottles of powder to check the wind, if the wind is swirling around lots your likely not to see anything, try something else.
When I was out last week I thought I heard something in the bush. I stopped and waited, could hear it getting closer. Then the friggin alarm that, was set from a month before when I was on nightshift, went off on my phone. Scared the hell out of me and what ever it was that was walking towards me. I had the ringer off but the alarm overrides it. No idea how the alarm got turned on again
Old 10-28-2014, 07:15 PM

Talking Google maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
Google maps is your friend.

Find openings, funnels or thinner tree growth areas most people driving from the road have no idea are there.

I have shot more decent deer in what looks like thick brush from the road but only travel a couple hundred yards in and deer feel less pressure from the road and traffic.

Find a opening with trails and sit or walk very slowly. You ll bump into something.
X2. I use google maps all the time . Use google earth and you can measure distance . Map out your route and measure distance across meadows and what not. Going slow and sitting lots is a good way to find a deer. The rut is coming
Old 10-28-2014, 07:59 PM

Default not cheap at ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Wish View Post

Oh yeah...I missed. The product of a cheap scope on a good rifle.
Regards,
Dave

Thanks so much for your tip.
My rifle is a Browning X Bolt Stainless Stalker 300 win mag($1200)
And my scope is a Vortex PST 6-24x50 ($1140