Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2024, 09:25 PM

Default Best simple boat improvements

Looking for ideas from the experienced! Looking for some upgrades for my 12’ tinner to make it a little more than just an aluminum hull with benches. The obvious cup holder is first thing to come to mind, as well as a couple of swivel seats. Rod holders are already in place so no worries in that department. What are some other good basic improvements you guys have made in the past?
Old 03-20-2024, 09:31 PM

Removable floors from marine grade ply...covered with fake grass or indoor outdoor carpet and a small front compartment for 5 gallon water bag...the overall weight added here wiĺl help with stability and tracking
Old 03-21-2024, 05:10 AM

Weight is a big deal for a small vessel, everything you add weighs on the total capacity.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-21-2024, 07:45 AM

If you have a battery a power anchor (deckhand) is the best thing I ever put in my 15’ Jon boat perfect for river fishing.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:21 AM

A fish/depth finder, a fish chain, a club, an electronic scale, a tape measure on the middle seat to measure fish [meet length regulations], a Boat Tote, and a gaff for when we started to catch big lakers that wouldn't fit into the net. There are all kinds of things that make those little fishing boats nicer to be in, I've even seen guys put small bimini tops on them.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:51 AM

Sounds silly but I take a piece of pool noodle and split it down one side, then slip it over the gunwale or transom and use it to hang lures to dry before they go back in the box
Old 03-21-2024, 08:54 AM

Most tin boats are stern heavy and like to porpoise (or take too long to get out of the hole) if they're using an outboard with enough power. If that's the case then relocate the fuel tank to the bow.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Sounds silly but I take a piece of pool noodle and split it down one side, then slip it over the gunwale or transom and use it to hang lures to dry before they go back in the box
Hahaha, I do the same for when I get lazy when trolling and I rest my rod on it as not to beat up my rod...

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Not silly at all. Growing up we used to fish live minnows behind Christmas trees (gang trolls). On our tin boats we always had a 6"x6" block of rigid foam insulation glued to an inside wall to hold all of our baiting needles, treble hooks etc.

I like the noodle idea.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:08 AM

I have a 14' tinner. The swivel seats are a big plus, only draw back is the added comfort will bring on a nap in the warm sun (I have had a few naps in my boat when the fishing was slow). As stob suggested, removable floor boards. I used 3/4" plywood and covered them with the cheap green outdoor carpet from Canadian Tire. For me the floor boards were the best addition.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:28 PM

Some great ideas so far!

I had planned on building a removable carpeted platform to run from bow to middle seat already, with either bins under or just a door for access. On of the swivel seats would be mounted to this with a riser.

As far as stern heavy goes, she is that. I run a 9.9 2 stroke evinrude on it, and if I’m solo the bow is way high, but planning on getting a longer fuel line so I can get the tank forward of the middle seat, possibly along with a 5 gallon water bag.

Love the idea of a Bimini top!

I should add I haven’t tracked down a decent trailer at a reasonable price yet, so still have to be able to load it all back up into the back of a pick up.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:43 PM

I added a Railblaza Tackle Caddy to the rear bench of my 12 foot tinner. It holds my pliers and spreaders as well as any hooks I swapped out and either a couple water bottles/travel mugs or a small tackle box. Pretty handy and low cost addition to the boat. I like that it does more than just being a cup holder.

https://www.railblaza.ca/products/ta...console-mount/

Other than that, I had a good travel tarp made for it to keep leaves and such out. I like keeping the rig nice and light, so all the extras just add more weight.

Oh, I also put a Helix 5 CHIRP GPS portable unit in the boat. It doubles as an ice fishing rig in the winter.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 03-25-2024, 04:31 PM

It's bin a while since I posted this link...This is a bigger hull but lots of good ideas and well documented too.

https://www.correllconcepts.com/boat_conversion.htm

Best upgrade for me was building drop-in floor sections (5/8" plywood) covered w/vinyl decking material.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boat1.jpg (53.2 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg boat2.jpg (57.1 KB, 72 views)
Old 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM

Boat bimini top would really nice if you are mostly jigging for walleye .
Old 03-25-2024, 06:28 PM

I have Pro-Techt Mantis Portable Shade It attaché to the swivel seat one post behind your seat doesn’t get in the way of fishing greatest thing since sliced bread in 30+ weather
Old 03-29-2024, 08:29 AM

Best upgrade to 12 foot tinner is change the 2 to a 6
Old 03-29-2024, 09:11 AM

I really like anchor locks. The ability to control an anchor (or two) from a seated position for lowering and for raising is nice. Anchor locks on Scotty mounts.

That being said, Scotty mounts in general add to a boats versatility and are pretty affordable addition.

Seats obviously as well make a big change
Old 03-29-2024, 11:14 AM

Do not need upgrade to my aluminum boat. It cost me around $6000, then only allowed 2 walleye first year, worked out to around $1500/LB.
Old 03-29-2024, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
Best upgrade to 12 foot tinner is change the 2 to a 6
As nice as another 4’ would be, for many reasons, not interested at this point.

The 12’ fits who I need to bring with me, I can easily maneuver it around for loading, unloading, and at home in the yard. My Evinrude 9.9 pushes it great, and I can transport it in the box of my half ton.

One day maybe, but won’t be today or tomorrow
Old 03-29-2024, 10:16 PM

I put interlocking foam rubber pads between the ribs on the floor. Make things a little quieter and nicer to take shoes off .
Old 03-30-2024, 09:25 AM

rubber tube mat or foam on the floor, couple scotty universal mounts for extra rod holder, anchor lock,
a small 1/2 size bucket of emergency supplies, water, or life straw, firelighter, loo paper, couple food bars, sum duct or marine putty, for a small leak, bit of first aid kit, plaster, painkiller, sunscreen and bug dope. spare pull cord for the out board, fuse if you use an electric motor etc.
Old 03-30-2024, 02:36 PM

In addition to items already listed, on my 14’ tinny, I’ve got:
Thick rubber mat flooring. Removed once a year for thorough cleaning.
Swivel seats - best you can afford.
Umbrella clamped to seatback - quickly removable on a pole with clamp - made for baby strollers.
Extendable boat hook. Cheap but very, very useful. If you use a long-handled net, then attach just a boat-hook end on the handle. Avail on Amazon.
Earth magnets - those little, cheap round ones with adhesive on one side - to temporarily hold lures, pliers and secure dangling hooks, along the inside of the gunnel.
Small (6 1/2”) plastic ‘Fish Gripper’ pliers to hold fish securely while removing hooks. Very helpful for C & R. And with toothy critters. $12 well spent. Find some kind of holster to attach to inside of gunnel - for instant access.
Extension handle for outboard gas or electric motor - for use when solo and using the centre seat.
Cat litter in a coloured, heavy duty zip-lock, with some toilet paper sealed inside - for the bigger job. Or the military-style ‘bag-it’ p00per.
And something you can pee in - without standing up! (#2 cause of drowning - after drinking!) Hospital/trucker ‘gravy-boat style’ urinals work great! Doubles as a ‘bailing can’ legal requirement.
Some small, catch-all nets along the gunnel for your phone, camera, binos, sunscreen - sundries. Like what you’d attach to the inner rear sides/seats of your SUV.
If you’re using an electric trolling motor, consider a lighter weight lithium battery (still up in the bow). Be sure to have a spare battery on-board, because those lithiums DO NOT lose their charge slowly - no giving you advance warning that it’s time to head back to the launch ….. they go from fast to dead!
Pail with holes drilled in bottom - for your anchor rope. Keeps it from tangling everything underfoot.
Consider a ‘gripper’ on a rope, secured to your bow. Good for quickly securing your boat to docks, shore-line branches, floating rafts or trees/stumps sticking out of the water, launching aid. I use one on my kayak as well.
Old 03-30-2024, 04:00 PM

Check your weight limits for the boat. Weight includes motor, gas, gear, supplies, people.

It’s rarely up front advertised but the weight adds up fast. Some 12 foot tinners… a 9.9 hp motor with gas and two adult males and gear and you are over weight.

A Lund WC12 weight capacity is 500 lbs. A WC14 is 1000 lbs.

And lunds are the best out there IMHO.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-31-2024, 08:19 AM

May not be cheap but definitely the best improvement I made to my boat. Power tilt and trim. Worth every penny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20240331-081224_Chrome.jpg (18.2 KB, 31 views)