Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2024, 02:24 PM

Looked at some of the reviews for the Travellodge motel in Leduc and it is pretty disgusting. Filthy and run down with sketchy characters at the place. This really stinks to high heaven, and the so called owner for Comfort Social Services is supposed to be a person named Norton Smith. But you cannot find any information on this character. I hope they do an independent inquiry into this because if someone was using this to line their pocket financially they need to be fired either at AHS, or the government.
Old 03-24-2024, 05:14 PM

Alberta to rehome 39 people after covering $25K unpaid hotel bill for non-profit housing patients | CBC News
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...bill-1.7152439
Old 03-24-2024, 11:16 PM

So the Minister pays with a CC 25 grand in one shot to the Leduc Travel Lodge.
Seems sort of fishy to me, I mean just how many and how long where the long term care people there?
The government paying all at once not in payments, that's not the normal way the government acts, just spit balling here but I think someone on the inside got caught with their hand in the cookie jar, and the government is taking care of it fast in hopes it will all go away, before too many details come out.

I bet the owner, the consulting service and the caretaker of the place pulled a scam and are laughing it up now.

Tommy
Old 03-25-2024, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I guess I don't really see the issue with that. Should hospitals just let people stay there for free?
So much for 'free' healthcare in Canada, and some people see no issue with slipping in a few extra bills like room/board and parking.

Something is wrong when we hear stories of people being discharged onto bus stop bench's or not having transplant surgery because they couldn't afford a hotel stay close to the hospital while they convalesce. And then we have people crammed in like sardines, beds in closets and sleeping in hallways.

Personally I think we've paid a lot of taxes so we can have 'free' healthcare, and that's exactly what we should be getting not some second rate treatment like we hear about these days.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
So much for 'free' healthcare in Canada, and some people see no issue with slipping in a few extra bills like room/board and parking.

Something is wrong when we hear stories of people being discharged onto bus stop bench's or not having transplant surgery because they couldn't afford a hotel stay close to the hospital while they convalesce. And then we have people crammed in like sardines, beds in closets and sleeping in hallways.

Personally I think we've paid a lot of taxes so we can have 'free' healthcare, and that's exactly what we should be getting not some second rate treatment like we hear about these days.
The government running anything is just a money pit. We need some sort of hybrid system.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM

Smile Gentleman please

In Tommy's case, read what my father saud, a very experienced civil servant. "Never impute planning where incompetence will predict the phenomenum equally well"

For those that think that health care is "free" it is pre paid under the Canada Health Act and it is a provincial responsibility as per the BNA act in 1867.

So what we have here is a province with 106 hospitals and only 17 of them are any good (Earnst and Young report) and we are paying for all those hospitals in places that most of us have never heard of. Thus, follow me close here, there is no money for the 17 hospitals that people need to us.

You could either fund the big hospitals properly through more taxes (terrible idea) or worse, close some of the non functioning small hospitals and spend the money where the people are. Even Kenny didn't like that idea.

So here are your options, you need to find a way to discharge the patients that you have in acute beds who can' t go home. You either make the home that they came from accessable or keep building more institutions.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
In Tommy's case, read what my father saud, a very experienced civil servant. "Never impute planning where incompetence will predict the phenomenum equally well"

For those that think that health care is "free" it is pre paid under the Canada Health Act and it is a provincial responsibility as per the BNA act in 1867.

So what we have here is a province with 106 hospitals
and only 17 of them are any good (Earnst and Young report) and we are paying for all those hospitals in places that most of us have never heard of. Thus, follow me close here, there is no money for the 17 hospitals that people need to us.

You could either fund the big hospitals properly through more taxes (terrible idea) or worse, close some of the non functioning small hospitals and spend the money where the people are. Even Kenny didn't like that idea.

So here are your options, you need to find a way to discharge the patients that you have in acute beds who can' t go home. You either make the home that they came from accessable or keep building more institutions.
Alberta pays over $20B more annually to Ottawa, than we receive in benefits, you could build hospitals and staff them for that money, but then Ottawa won't give up the cash cow that Alberta has become. Quebec and the Atlantic provinces are not willing to cease being parasites, subsidized by Alberta.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:48 AM

north america has a huge population bulge that was born between the years 1947 and up to 1963 or so. many have retired, but I don't know what percentage have gone into long term care. this may cause issues when they start feeling the need to enter senior's living facilities. europe will have the same problem.
Old 03-25-2024, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I’ve spent time in hospital and I’ve spent time on the road in Hotels. I can tell you, the Hotels are likely kept a bit cleaner, and definitely quieter . Of course it depends on the Hotel.

Hospital - 6 to a room , tiny tv if at all noisy, dirty, dirty communal bathroom

Hotel - private room large colour tv , clean bathroom

Hospital food or McDonald’s as long as a bathroom is close and clean I’ll take McDonald’s
After all my major surgeries… I would have loved being in a travelodge if able to look after myself.

As soon as I could I got discharged to home. Scary at first but an hour after being home the stress fell. 12 days in hospital for the longest stint was not fun.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-25-2024, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post

So what we have here is a province with 106 hospitals and only 17 of them are any good (Earnst and Young report) and we are paying for all those hospitals in places that most of us have never heard of. Thus, follow me close here, there is no money for the 17 hospitals that people need to us.

Where ever those lower functioning hospitals are you can be assured they are rural, and that's a sure way for Smith to lose votes. Fact is the BEST and most CURRENT medical care will be received at the larger teaching hospitals.
Old 03-25-2024, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
After all my major surgeries… I would have loved being in a travelodge if able to look after myself.

As soon as I could I got discharged to home. Scary at first but an hour after being home the stress fell. 12 days in hospital for the longest stint was not fun.
A persons home is usually the best choice, IF there is CARE available. Proper home care is an efficient way to get patients out of hospital and free up beds, but it's expensive.