Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-04-2015, 02:48 PM

Default Big Trout in Dickson Trout Pond?

Hey how's it going? I have a curious question for anyone who might be able to answer it. my buddy and I were out fishing on the Dickson trout pond back in early January. we have finally figured out how to catch the trout out of there. but about 90% of the ones we catch are around 6-8 inches long. got a couple that were 13-15 inches. but for the most part we catch the little guys or suckers.

the last time we were out we both hooked something big. I have my rods set up one with 4lb fluorocarbon and the other with 6lb mono. this fish hit my rod first and just snapped my 4lb fluoro like nothing. didn't even have anytime to react. felt a big tug then the line snapped within a matter of a second or 2. didn't even get the rod out of the holder. and then about 15min later I had the exact same thing happen with 6lb mono just wondering if anyone could give me any tips on how to possibly hook this monster (if that's what it is and not a beaver).

I've been told to use the lower lb test line because of how easily the trout can see the bigger lines. but from what I have experienced out there I might need heavier test line? if anyone can offer some advice on this. or some tips/tricks to get the bigger ones. it would be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance for any help you are able to offer. feel free to pm me
Old 02-04-2015, 03:07 PM

8-10 lb fluorocarbon line.
cheers
Goose
Old 02-04-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by figmentam View Post
Hey how's it going? I have a curious question for anyone who might be able to answer it. my buddy and I were out fishing on the Dickson trout pond back in early January. we have finally figured out how to catch the trout out of there. but about 90% of the ones we catch are around 6-8 inches long. got a couple that were 13-15 inches. but for the most part we catch the little guys or suckers.

the last time we were out we both hooked something big. I have my rods set up one with 4lb fluorocarbon and the other with 6lb mono. this fish hit my rod first and just snapped my 4lb fluoro like nothing. didn't even have anytime to react. felt a big tug then the line snapped within a matter of a second or 2. didn't even get the rod out of the holder. and then about 15min later I had the exact same thing happen with 6lb mono just wondering if anyone could give me any tips on how to possibly hook this monster (if that's what it is and not a beaver).

I've been told to use the lower lb test line because of how easily the trout can see the bigger lines. but from what I have experienced out there I might need heavier test line? if anyone can offer some advice on this. or some tips/tricks to get the bigger ones. it would be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance for any help you are able to offer. feel free to pm me
I fish this almost every weekend in the summer as we have a place on glennifer. Generally it is just little guys, however due to flooding in previous years, whatever you find in the river, you will also find in the trout pond. We've caught pike in there and this could explain your problem with breaking off. We have seen some pretty nice sized trout come out of there, however nothing big enough to break the line like you've described.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:21 PM

They stock some brood tout in there so you want to make sure you set your drag light just in case.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:30 PM
Banned

Cool

Ive seen honest 6-8 lb bows come out of the trout pond , rumors of larger . Stories of transplanted pike are rife . My best on 4lb test is 12lb bow ..out of philiss so keep doing what your doing till you get one on the ice ..good luck .
Old 02-04-2015, 03:45 PM

Default pike

I've seen some big come out of there since the 2005 flood, had a buddy towed around in his float tube by one.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:52 PM

I was thinking 8-10lb floro. but does anyone know where to get it close to olds/sunder. all I can find in olds so far is 6lb floro.

the pike could also defiantly explain the problem that im having.

I had set my drag to a bit heavier just because of the suckers and all the little guys to pull them out quickly. I can defiantly try setting my drag lighter just don't like having to fight a sucker for 5 mins lol.

I was taking to one gentleman back in the beginning of jan and he says he's pulled an 11lb rainbow out of there and a 9lb.

I also get these spurts of little guys and then it seems like nothing for awhile then a sucker or 2 then more little guys. any tips on how to get the larger fish (10+ in) to start biting? I generally use a worm on a snell hook, about a foot off the bottom in around 10-14 fow. I cant wait to get a power auger and a cam lol.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:55 PM

You could for sure get floro in Caroline, another is single option would be canadian tire in olds
Old 02-04-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
You could for sure get floro in Caroline, another is single option would be canadian tire in olds
ok, I havnt been to caroline in quite awhile.
Canadian tire in olds I can only seem to find up to 6lb floro
Old 02-04-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by figmentam View Post
ok, I havnt been to caroline in quite awhile.
Canadian tire in olds I can only seem to find up to 6lb floro
Caroline has a pretty sweet fishing/hunting shop, I enjoy it...Also fireworks haha
Old 02-04-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
They stock some brood tout in there so you want to make sure you set your drag light just in case.
Yes they sure do. I saw a couple come out one day that were over 5 lbs and the guy that had one said they put 50 broods in there that week. I Also caught a pike in the 3 to 4 lb range about 4 yrs ago. Check your line to see if you got bit off or broke off !! A bite off will usually be a little bit rough just above the break !