Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2017, 08:16 AM

Default Lawn tractors & attachments

We are looking into buying a lawn tractor and I was hoping you can help me figure some stuff out.

I want something that is versatile not just for mowing. So easily (!) removable mowing deck (they might all be) is a must. Also I want to get some attachments like tow-behind sprayer, dump cart, maybe a broadcast seeder/spreader, etc. I need something small to run around with in my field (growing flowers and herbs) and do some jobs there.

Lawn care is not important apart from we need to mow (>1 acre) until we get rid of most of the lawn (will take a few years) or more critters to eat it :-)

I read an older thread and JD seems the choose which is fine but I don't want to spend thousands of dollars so I was looking at the residential D100 series. Really that bad? Any other options?

Also, where would one get the above mentioned attachments? It seems like there is much more choice in the USA than around here...

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 03-28-2017, 08:37 AM

First, I would not worry about frequent deck removal as you will likely not require it off (certainly not for the applications you mentioned) ...except for service. CDN Tire generally has carts, spreaders, etc. Also most dealers that sell quads.
There is no such thing as a tractor too big or with too much power. Wide mow deck is nice.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
First, I would not worry about frequent deck removal as you will likely not require it off (certainly not for the applications you mentioned) ...except for service. CDN Tire generally has carts, spreaders, etc. Also most dealers that sell quads.
There is no such thing as a tractor too big or with too much power. Wide mow deck is nice.
Yeah I don't think the mower deck will last if I drive around in the field with it.

Good call on the ATV attachments. Do they fit? I would think the lawn tractor hitch is lower though...

We have a regular tractor but it will be too big to navigate the field. It's not your standard field more like a huge garden with perennials, shrubs, trees etc.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 03-28-2017, 09:00 AM

Most of the smaller garden tractors 20HP and less the mower decks are not that easy to remove and install , they are basically a lawnmower and the decks are removed only for service and sharpening the blades. As for the pull attachments they are fine, Costco sells an atv cart that is made of poly for a good price. If you plan on snow removal with it you will need rear wheel weights and chains.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:16 AM

I have a John Deere D120. Bought 3 or 4 years ago. I have never taken the deck off and it bounces around my property like a champ. Stored outside and still no rust. Pulls my princess auto dump cart well if not fast. Have loaded that cart up with a thousand pounds of rotten logs for the burn pile, over and over. I dont know how it survives. I load 10 sheets of 1/2 " ply on it and pull it 500 feet from my lumber pile to whatever I am building that day.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
Most of the smaller garden tractors 20HP and less the mower decks are not that easy to remove and install , they are basically a lawnmower and the decks are removed only for service and sharpening the blades. As for the pull attachments they are fine, Costco sells an atv cart that is made of poly for a good price. If you plan on snow removal with it you will need rear wheel weights and chains.
Hm, I don't like to hear that about removing the deck. No snow removal as we have a big tractor for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
I have a John Deere D120. Bought 3 or 4 years ago. I have never taken the deck off and it bounces around my property like a champ. Stored outside and still no rust. Pulls my princess auto dump cart well if not fast. Have loaded that cart up with a thousand pounds of rotten logs for the burn pile, over and over. I dont know how it survives. I load 10 sheets of 1/2 " ply on it and pull it 500 feet from my lumber pile to whatever I am building that day.
That sounds good. The mower desk doesn't get in the way? Where are you driving around? Only driveway etc.?

Old 03-28-2017, 12:19 PM

We use a John Deere 420, 20hp onan, 60" mower, 48" tiller, 12v tow behind sprayer, JD steel dump trailer, double section of harrows. Our unit came with the heavier mower deck, which means more expensive parts, but we have only replaced the bearings 2x. I just drive over my deck when switching it out. My dad purchased a 20hp Simplicity Sunstar. I prefer the JD for changing implements. The JD seems to cut grass nicer, but the Simplicity tills our heavy soil better. I like the fact that both units have individual brakes, hydraulics, and hydraulic steering, along with electric clutches front and rear, along with PTOs front and rear. The JD also has a real 3pth compared to the Simplicity. Pays to buy a good tractor, and resale value is higher if you ever sell. I haven't used one, but I think Kubota would also be a good value.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey View Post
Hm, I don't like to hear that about removing the deck. No snow removal as we have a big tractor for that.

That sounds good. The mower desk doesn't get in the way? Where are you driving around? Only driveway etc.?
I swear I sent a response days ago... I have a bumpy couple acre field I mow with mine. Occasionally get stuck with the one wheel drive when the drive wheel lifts. There is nowhere I have traction enough to drive that the deck becomes a problem. I mow steep rough ditches and stands of 1" saplings. Big rose bushes too. It is very slow however 5 kph?
Old 03-29-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
I swear I sent a response days ago... I have a bumpy couple acre field I mow with mine. Occasionally get stuck with the one wheel drive when the drive wheel lifts. There is nowhere I have traction enough to drive that the deck becomes a problem. I mow steep rough ditches and stands of 1" saplings. Big rose bushes too. It is very slow however 5 kph?
You mow rose bushes? Like little shrubby ones?

Old 03-29-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I have a John Deere 115 and anything it will knock down, it will chew. I like the job it does on carraganas.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:01 PM

Kunz rough cut mower.If the rhino can climb over it the mower can chew it up

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
My goal is the extinction of the wild rose. I fight them with my brush saw, I fight them with fire. I have even been to use a stern lecture. Them and the mosquito cause me no end of discomfort and will pay.. I use my mower to break bush. Mow saplings and roses a few times down low and it helps prevent them from coming back.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:21 PM

Check out the London Drugs flyer. Poulan 42" 18.5 hp for 1299 for the grass and a quad with dual range transmission for acreage/garden use. Always have had great service from London Drugs.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:37 AM

We have a small diesel Kubota at the cabin. Bought new in the 1970s and it's worked well for us all these years. It replaced a little Massey Ferguson riding mower that only survived about four years and couldn't do anything but mow grass and tow a trailer. The Kubota can rototill, blow snow, pull logs and rocks, blade, etc.

Amazingly the Kubota's still sell for near the same pricing all these years later and now include better transmissions, roll bars, etc.

Our mower is belt drive but the tractor has PTO for the rototiller, etc.

Anyway, a new or used (low hours) Kubota might fit you needs and still have lots of life left in it.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:53 AM

I didn't even know London Drugs has lawn mowers!

Thanks everybody

Old 03-31-2017, 10:33 AM

Beats me! Just was throwing out the junk mail and there it was. May be a lighter duty tractor but if you keep the grass low and chop out the stumps and rocks it may work fine. I try and buy all the stuff I can from London Drugs because they have excellent customer service and its only two dollars more than discount stores. I use my quad with the low range to pull any type of wagon/sprayer/harrows/snow blade. Tractor lacks traction is rough and painfully slow.