Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 09:31 AM
Banned

Default Marijuana to be legalized in July next year...

First step in the right direction...
Quote:
The Liberal government will announce legislation next month that will legalize marijuana in Canada by July 1, 2018.

CBC News has learned that the legislation will be announced during the week of April 10 and will broadly follow the recommendation of a federally appointed task force that was chaired by former liberal Justice Minister Anne McLellan.

Bill Blair, the former Toronto police chief who has been stickhandling the marijuana file for the government, briefed the Liberal caucus on the roll-out plan and the legislation during caucus meetings this weekend.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/libe...-pot-1.4041902
Old 03-27-2017, 09:42 AM

The goldfish have circled the bowl. Time to show them the golden hoop one more time.

Colin
Old 03-27-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
First step in the right direction...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/libe...-pot-1.4041902
I can't believe they didn't choose April 20 to announce the legislation. Opportunity missed!

Cheers
Old 03-27-2017, 09:47 AM

I really am having a difficult time with this stupidity. I never got involved in any politico threads til this c _ _ p showed up. Why the heck would they contaminate Canada day with this?!! Liberal thinking has hit rock bottom, and to he!! with canadians with a sense of pride in their country.

Rant over.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
I can't believe they didn't choose April 20 to announce the legislation. Opportunity missed!

Cheers
True enough
Old 03-27-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyduck View Post
I really am having a difficult time with this stupidity. I never got involved in any politico threads til this c _ _ p showed up. Why the heck would they contaminate Canada day with this?!! Liberal thinking has hit rock bottom, and to he!! with canadians with a sense of pride in their country.

Rant over.
Because it never should have been made illegal to begin with! Thank you for your comment

Cheers
Old 03-27-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyduck View Post

Rant over.
Its been here for over a 100 years, now the police can concentrate their efforts getting the real poisons off the streets. 1000's die from opioids nobody ever died from a pot overdose.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:40 AM

Never thought I would see it in my lifetime, it's about darn time.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:50 AM

Canada continues to slither down the drain.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
Canada continues to slither down the drain.
Explain?
Old 03-27-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Its been here for over a 100 years, now the police can concentrate their efforts getting the real poisons off the streets. 1000's die from opioids nobody ever died from a pot overdose.
The biggest issue with drugs is people turning to crime in order to feed their addiction and victimizing innocent people. An overdose is just Darwinism in action.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
The biggest issue with drugs is people turning to crime in order to feed their addiction and victimizing innocent people. An overdose is just Darwinism in action.
The problem is, weed is illegal and it shouldn't be. Synthetic heroin - Oxy is still legal and doctors are creating many addicts.

Which one causes more deaths and true addictions?

How many billions are spent each year on enforcing illegal weed?
Old 03-27-2017, 11:27 AM
Banned

Yup just in time for the next election..... knew it.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
Might work against them. People might get stoned and vote NDP
Old 03-27-2017, 11:35 AM

I'm not in 11th grade anymore so I don't really care, but nice that police resources will hopefully stop being wasted busting small time pot dealers.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
Yup, the old stick and carrot game. The CPC did it to us firearms owners too.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
The problem is, weed is illegal and it shouldn't be. Synthetic heroin - Oxy is still legal and doctors are creating many addicts.

Are you a PhD on this matter? Or perhaps you're writing your Masters on this topic? My point being, what credentials do you have to make this statement? My personal belief is that marijuana is a stepping stone to the "problem" drugs.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:41 AM

It will be interesting to see how the workplaces react. With it now being illegal, even a trace amount is enough to cost a person their job, whereas , since alcohol is legal, there is an allowable amount when a person is tested for alcohol.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
I'm not in 11th grade anymore so I don't really care, but nice that police resources will hopefully stop being wasted busting small time pot dealers.
Think legalizing pot will make for no illegal pot busts? Just moves the problem.

http://www.9news.com/news/crime/mari...etro/423040180

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/09/28...east-colorado/

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/04/14...s-front-range/

Legalized pot will still need regulation versus a free for all. As a result...new laws and enforcement approaches will happen. Enforcement moves towards illegal grow ops and distribution and not the user is all.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-27-2017, 11:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
Are you a PhD on this matter? Or perhaps you're writing your Masters on this topic? My point being, what credentials do you have to make this statement? My personal belief is that marijuana is a stepping stone to the "problem" drugs.
Now you need a PhD or masters to have any knowledge of any subject?

Yes, of course some will transition to harder drugs from weed. Don't call it a stepping stone. How about laced weed? How many people transition that way?

I know many people that smoke weed - and would never entertain the idea of snorting coke, or touching meth or any other hard drug. I did my fair share of shrooms and the like in my teens, never once thought about picking up a meth pipe or a needle full of heroine.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It will be interesting to see how the workplaces react. With it now being illegal, even a trace amount is enough to cost a person their job, whereas , since alcohol is legal, there is an allowable amount when a person is tested for alcohol.
The ceilings are not going to be changed if marijuana is legalized any sooner than they would be for alcohol.
You can't come to work drunk and you can't come to work stoned .
There is an allowable about of nano grams allowed now and it will stay there.
Cat
Old 03-27-2017, 11:50 AM

I have no interest in the stuff, but I think legalizing will have some societal benefits. First off, anyone who wants it is already getting it, so I don't expect an 'epidemic' to result. I think the taxes it can generate will be fantastic and significant. It will be a bit of a double-benefit as well because for all the new taxes and legal pot small-to-large businesses it will foster, the same dollar amounts will be removed from the pockets of organized crime.

I do wish that the people who use it would smoke it walking down the alley instead of subjecting their neighbors to its stench though (I have had such ignorant neighbors). I also thing the users should stop deluding themselves into thinking that its OK to drive stoned, I see and smell a lot of that from other drivers at least weekly.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
Research shows that for some it is a stepping stone to other drugs. Research also shows you can overdose and increase health care costs can be attributed to the fact pot these days has a far higher THC level than the 60s and 70s pot.

Pot also can have far reaching consequences on the developing brain and prolonged heavy usages over time can permanently alter an adult brain.

Usage can also cause injury when used while operating heavy equipment and motor vehicles.

That being said...people don't seem to fight over comments about their girlfriend or cars while on pot versus alcohol.

Some use alcohol to escape reality and deal with life stress. Some use pot. Likely as a coping method requiring more than what one has in life... pot is the lesser of two evils.

The worst is the stench. Worst smell on earth.

Medicinal pot also has some great benefits. Not just THC but even more so CBD.

Time will tell if legalized pot is a good thing for Canada. I do predict that those not using will find themselves far more employable especially in drug tested positions.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-27-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:

Oxy has its purposes in medicine. Ask a trauma patient, ask someone who just underwent surgery. Pain is a medical problem and needs to be controlled.

Do not slander a profession because you think your weed should be legal.

How many times has a pain medications (oxy, morphine, codeine, etc.) got a patient through what would be a horrible traumatically painful procedure or injury?

How many times has weed done that?

Weed should be legal no question; but do not compare recreation with medical. It does not strengthen your stance.

Everyone has their poison. I think control is the best way. Removing it from criminal distributers is a positive. As I said everyone has their poison. Eliminate the illegal drug trade and you save the system lots of money by reducing overdoses due to impurities. The impurities are killing addicts; addicts are also people who have mothers and fathers who still love them.

Overdoses can occur the first time you try it; you do not need to be an addict. Again those PEOPLE have loved ones and had all the potential in the world. Suggesting them dying by overdoses is a good thing/Darwinism is pretty sad.

Weed legalization is a step in the right direction.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The ceilings are not going to be changed if marijuana is legalized any sooner than they would be for alcohol.
You can't come to work drunk and you can't come to work stoned .
There is an allowable about of nano grams allowed now and it will stay there.
Cat
What we are going to see for those of us who work on industrial sites, and stay in remote camps. The camps that allow you to have alcohol now, will more than likely go completely dry, therefore there is no arguments from the pot smokers. I'm curious how things will go in terms of drug and alcohol testing though!
Old 03-27-2017, 12:04 PM

Not saying the liberals will make this a reality, but it seems the best this the conservatives can do is endorse the legislation, using small words that can't be misinterpreted.

I'm not opposed to Marijuana per say, but the stench is a problem. Standing in my back yard right now cleaning the barbecue. Light breeze. Every few moments I get a light whiff of it. Noon on a weekday. Does anyone question who refer to as goldfish?

Colin
Old 03-27-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
There will be more small time pot dealer busts. The govt does not like competition. They look at it like your stealing out of their pockets.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:17 PM

If the government can keep the prices low. It will work. If they get greedy and charge to much, people will grow dope and undercut the govt. if the govt can sell an ounce for 150.00 or lower, they win.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:26 PM
Banned

How can you believe anything that comes out of Justin's mouth?
Old 03-27-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
What we are going to see for those of us who work on industrial sites, and stay in remote camps. The camps that allow you to have alcohol now, will more than likely go completely dry, therefore there is no arguments from the pot smokers. I'm curious how things will go in terms of drug and alcohol testing though!
No idea how , it would all depend on how they legalize it I suppose , but we will just have to wait and see .
It would not surprise me if they do not allow it in camps ,most of them are dry these days as it is.
Cat