Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2017, 10:32 AM
Banned

I agree that more is better when it comes to trucks and towing. But for the value of a 3/4T or 1T pick-up that would be too much truck for the bulk of my needs we went with a smaller trailer.

21-1/2' 5th wheel that comes in under 4700lbs. dry weight and slightly more than 2.5T with our gear and power sources. Our 1/2T Z-71 tows it just fine, but we avoid the mountains, we don't have children and the boat gets there another way. Still less expensive than a larger truck with more power.

Carrying water and wastewater is a serious weight problem that should be avoided. About 10lbs. per gallon (1 kg per litre). On a personal note; I'm not sure why a guy and his Mrs. needs a 32' 8T home on wheels with a ten foot sail on the front, three axles and a laundry room.

Free
Old 03-27-2017, 10:33 AM

My towing capacity is 10200. Our trailer is 5400 empty. 5600 after I load the booze. I usually fill the water when I get to where I'm going. My rule is drive about 90kmh max. We reserve a spot so I'm never in a hurry.
This picture was taken before I figured out how to set up the weight distribution hitch properly. It sure makes a difference in how the truck handles.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:38 AM

What is your payload caacity? That number means nothing but advertising. You will probably run out of payload long before towing a 10200 trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstix View Post
My towing capacity is 10200. Our trailer is 5400 empty. 5600 after I load the booze. I usually fill the water when I get to where I'm going. My rule is drive about 90kmh max. We reserve a spot so I'm never in a hurry.
This picture was taken before I figured out how to set up the weight distribution hitch properly. It sure makes a difference in how the truck handles.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:03 AM

Just shy of 12000 towing capacity, 26 foot travel trailer is 6000lbs dry, around 7000 loaded.

Tows fine, but wouldn't want to go much heavier.

Truck is a 2015 F150

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
What is your payload caacity? That number means nothing but advertising. You will probably run out of payload long before towing a 10200 trailer.
Payload is 1100lbs. How is it that towing capacity is just advertising and payload number is not?
Old 03-27-2017, 11:45 AM

A properly loaded TT needs to be and will be about 13 to 15 per cent tongue wt which goes against your payload capacity. A 10k TT with weight distributed properly puts you overweight. Add to that passengers and anything else you put in your bed of your truck and see where you are at. Some rv dealers are now refusing to sell units to those that are not properly equipped. I pull a trailer just about 7k loaded plus all my crap and have scaled it. My 3/4 ton is fine but on my 1/2 ton I am over even though it says I can tow that weight. Could I do it and have I yes but if pulled over or you get in a wreck it may cost you besides safety issues. Do some research on numbers guys so you understand tow capacity payload axle weights and gvw numbers. It is confusing and in cases like a 10k in a 1100 lb capacity you cannot do this in a real worl scenario. At least not me or anyone I know that tows a TT. Do what you wish just would like to make sure those reading this and maybe buyinv a truck or trailer understand all these numbers the mfg dazzle you with until you do real world math.

Quote:
Payload is 1100lbs. How is it that towing capacity is just advertising and payload number is not?
Old 03-27-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Your Dodge probably has coils in the rear correct? That's why your payload # is so low, 1100lbs is even lower than the wifes Avalanche. Dodge 1/2 tons have the lowest payloads compared to GM or Ford.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:25 PM

My setup was above the towing capacity of the truck. Although the air bags and weight distribution hitch made it sit nice and level, I did not feel comfortable to have my family in the truck with me when towing (knowing I was over the limit) The truck pulled it just fine, and it had enough braking power, but legally I was over the limit. I would have been liable in case of an accident
I upgraded to a 2500hd and sleep a lot better at night

Old 03-27-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
A properly loaded TT needs to be and will be about 13 to 15 per cent tongue wt which goes against your payload capacity. A 10k TT with weight distributed properly puts you overweight. Add to that passengers and anything else you put in your bed of your truck and see where you are at. Some rv dealers are now refusing to sell units to those that are not properly equipped. I pull a trailer just about 7k loaded plus all my crap and have scaled it. My 3/4 ton is fine but on my 1/2 ton I am over even though it says I can tow that weight. Could I do it and have I yes but if pulled over or you get in a wreck it may cost you besides safety issues. Do some research on numbers guys so you understand tow capacity payload axle weights and gvw numbers. It is confusing and in cases like a 10k in a 1100 lb capacity you cannot do this in a real worl scenario. At least not me or anyone I know that tows a TT. Do what you wish just would like to make sure those reading this and maybe buyinv a truck or trailer understand all these numbers the mfg dazzle you with until you do real world mat
OK. So the payload is actually 1204lbs. Trailer tounge weight is 500. That leaves 704 lbs for weight I can put in the truck? I'm 200 the wife is 150 both kids combined are 85. I'm at 935 without counting gas. I dont see how I'm over unless I'm missing something. My axle weight is 3900. Both front and back.
I haven't had it on a scale but I think I'm OK.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:29 PM

Based on those numbers you are perobably ok. Drop your hitch on a scale and see what it really is to be sure as at that weight you are way too light on the front as you should be between 10 and 15 per cent and preferably 12/13 or so. This can create the old tail wagging the dog. Make sure if you are using mfg numbers to add the propane and batteries too as they are not incl. In factory numbers. Based on your numbers you can see how a 10k trailer could run the numbers quickly especially with gear in the bed too.
Quote:
OK. So the payload is actually 1204lbs. Trailer tounge weight is 500. That leaves 704 lbs for weight I can put in the truck? I'm 200 the wife is 150 both kids combined are 85. I'm at 935 without counting gas. I dont see how I'm over unless I'm missing something. My axle weight is 3900. Both front and back.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
gas for your truck (80l)+ your generator (3000watt)+ jerry can (20l)= 374lb
935 + 374 = 1309lb
(The above is true if you carry a generator)
Old 03-27-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Based on those numbers you are perobably ok. Drop your hitch on a scale and see what it really is to be sure as at that weight you are way too light on the front as you should be between 10 and 15 per cent and preferably 12/13 or so. This can create the old tail wagging the dog. Make sure if you are using mfg numbers to add the propane and batteries too as they are not incl. In factory numbers. Based on your numbers you can see how a 10k trailer could run the numbers quickly especially with gear in the bed too.
Thanks Calgarygringo.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Just go to a scale.. you'd be surprised how little payload is left over.. Don't forget, that payload number on your door, is as it left the factory (not the dealership), so anything (tonneau, bigger tires, running boards, etc), all take away from your payload.

It really is quite eye opening once you hit a scale.

FTR, I doubt your hitch weight is actually 500#, the advertised one on trailer manufacturer's websites does not include batteries/propane tanks (let alone full ones), or once again, anything that was added at the dealership.

Oh, and I have seen RCMP with portable scales on the side of the road, weighing trucks/trailers in BC, on multiple occasions. Now I have no idea what weights they were checking agains (GVWR/axle/etc.), but I'm willing to bet it is required to be under all those numbers.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:41 PM

Just as a side note..
Getting Pulled over for "overweight" truck/trailer combo is one thing, but I can't imagine the ramifications with insurance/civil lawsuit.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:54 PM

Not a 1/2 ton, but I thought I'd show my outfit. 2012 3500 Ram, JD 825 Gator and a 26' North trail.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:08 PM

There has been threads like this in the past which I have avoided as most times I just shake my head as read people's response's. There is a lot of bad information out there, so here are my two cents.

Take a look at this. www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType41/Production/recvehtowguide.pdf Most people will have questions after reading it so call Alberta Transportation in Red Deer or contact a local weigh scale to get the answers you need. 2 years ago (maybe 3) new legislation was passed in Alberta and now RV's fall under their jurisdiction. Before this it was the RCMP responsible and they were not trained to deal with RV’s. Last summer was the first year that I started to see commercial vehicle enforcement officers pulling RV’s over and going through them just like a highway tractor/trailer. They will be looking at the weight on each axle (truck and trailer axles) and your total weight. If any of those numbers exceed the sticker on your truck door or trailer be prepared for a ticket.

My experience is as follows. I have a 2013 FORD F150 CREW CAB w/ 6.5’ box and I purchased a used half ton towable trailer with a dry sticker weight 4700lbs. With my experience driving big trucks I thought I would actually take the time and find out what I could haul legally. I loaded it up with what I thought was normal items/water/full propane, threw my 3000 watt generator in the back of the truck and filled my gas tank. I headed to the weigh scales just outside of Ardrossan, AB to weigh everything. I spent 3 hours and countless trips across the scales to figure it out. Officers even came out to talk with me about what I was doing and I explained it to them. They were happy to help me out. So this is what I could haul LEGALLY: Truck with me & generator and trailer with 30 gallons of water and 2 – 30 lb full propane bottles. The trailer had nothing else in it; I had to remove all the camping gear/bedding/etc. to get it under the weight. Now I had a lot of towing capacity left but either my front axle or rear axle was overloaded depending on how I set my weight distribution hitch.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Just go to a scale.. you'd be surprised how little payload is left over.. Don't forget, that payload number on your door, is as it left the factory (not the dealership), so anything (tonneau, bigger tires, running boards, etc), all take away from your payload.

It really is quite eye opening once you hit a scale.

FTR, I doubt your hitch weight is actually 500#, the advertised one on trailer manufacturer's websites does not include batteries/propane tanks (let alone full ones), or once again, anything that was added at the dealership.

Oh, and I have seen RCMP with portable scales on the side of the road, weighing trucks/trailers in BC, on multiple occasions. Now I have no idea what weights they were checking agains (GVWR/axle/etc.), but I'm willing to bet it is required to be under all those numbers.
This is so true.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyenne 1 View Post
I built this truck 5 years ago or so.
Thre are not to many vehicles out there that are not over weight towing.
Yes it may be a little over kill as they say. But nver have to white knuckle it ever. Has lots of power, and is the most econimcal solution to buying a truck.
I usually put 20,000 km on it every year. And its so much nicer do drive than a pick up.

Heck....you don't need to pull a trailer with that thing you already have a sleeping set up. Put a custom built box on the back to carry the BBQ and you good to go
Old 03-27-2017, 06:51 PM

I'm sure I'm going to here about double towing but this is my happy place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160608_202443_resized.jpg (69.4 KB, 131 views)
Old 03-27-2017, 07:21 PM

We have a 29ft that is about 6000 dry, pulled if for a couple years with my F150 and hated every minute of it, the truck would feel every time the trailers wiggled and single lane highways were no fun. With no wind and on flat ground it towed great but we were coming home from camping one Sunday and had a 30 mph crosswind and I was doing 90 white knucked the entire way home. Said enough was enough and picked up a Ram 2500 with the 5.7 Hemi, the truck is rated to pull almost the same as the F150 but the way it handles the load is day and night. Set the cruise and go, the truck doesn't sway at all and actually makes it a nicer ride. I was always the guy who though people always bought too much truck for their trailer but I will never tow a travel trailer over 20ft with a 1/2 ton again.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:23 PM

Do not have a good picture of my set up but I have a 2006 Ford F250 Supercab 4x4 (5.4l gasser with 373 gearing) with a 25 foot fifth wheel pulling a 16 foot Crestliner side console boat. I am pushing legal length of 20 m and may be over if my motor is trimmed up on the back, it is that close. Weight wise think I was around 500lbs over the GCWR of the truck when I weighed it last summer. That is with empty tanks, 2 full 30lb propane bottles, 2 six volt batteries and normal bedding, food etc inside the trailer, 2000 watt genset and 5 gallons of gas in truck bed and half a tank of fuel in the boat, so around 8 gallons, plus 2 batteries and a lot of fishing gear.

First time I ever weighed the rig and was an eye opener for sure. Going to do like lund17 this year and see when I hit legal weights on my cousins certified truck scale at his place. May have to downsize the fifth wheel which would not bother me too much. Better safe than sorry.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Do not have a good picture of my set up but I have a 2006 Ford F250 Supercab 4x4 (5.4l gasser with 373 gearing) with a 25 foot fifth wheel pulling a 16 foot Crestliner side console boat. I am pushing legal length of 20 m and may be over if my motor is trimmed up on the back, it is that close. Weight wise think I was around 500lbs over the GCWR of the truck when I weighed it last summer. That is with empty tanks, 2 full 30lb propane bottles, 2 six volt batteries and normal bedding, food etc inside the trailer, 2000 watt genset and 5 gallons of gas in truck bed and half a tank of fuel in the boat, so around 8 gallons, plus 2 batteries and a lot of fishing gear.

First time I ever weighed the rig and was an eye opener for sure. Going to do like lund17 this year and see when I hit legal weights on my cousins certified truck scale at his place. May have to downsize the fifth wheel which would not bother me too much. Better safe than sorry.

How do you like the two 6 volts? I've been thinking about converting mine over.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:07 PM

Towed the ice fishing shack off the lake a couple weeks ago and stopped through the scales just to see how heavy it was.

Turned out to be heavier than I thought...
Truck axles: 3000kg
Trailer axle: 2200kg

2016 F150 2.7L
Old 03-27-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedCaper View Post
How do you like the two 6 volts? I've been thinking about converting mine over.

Love them. Been running them for 8 years. Would never go back to 12 volts.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
I'm sure I'm going to here about double towing but this is my happy place.
Nice set up, I used to pull the boat, quads on a trailer or my cargo trailer all the time with my 1500HD and 5 th wheel TT.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGFISH View Post
Nice set up, I used to pull the boat, quads on a trailer or my cargo trailer all the time with my 1500HD and 5 th wheel TT.
I don't mind pulling tandem, a little challenge backing both up, had to do it at Calling Lake last year.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:17 PM

Proper weight distributio hitch and proper truck loading (payload capacity).
Watch this video how to properly set up aweight distribution hitch
https://youtu.be/7731SkSgEqE
Old 03-29-2017, 06:13 AM
Banned

I did a weight analysis of my unit in the spring of last year at the weight scale up in Edgar industrial close / red deer and I was just over my total weight capacity by about 100lbs not including my wife, kid and dog.

The weigh in included all my gear, full tank of fresh water, guns, tools, toys, firewood and an extra 40 litres of bottled water. The payload on my truck is 1952lbs and when I did my hitch weight I came in at 1442lbs and that included full propane tanks, 2 batteries and tools in the front. The generator and fifth wheel hitch easily put me within my payload limits.

Dry weight on my trailer is around 7600lbs and my max tow capacity on my 3/4 ton truck is 9500lbs. Since then I have upgraded the crappy factory tires with the a heavier ply tire which made a world of difference in every aspect right down to the rolling risistance. Other than upgrading my truck there's not much I can do differently when I run this way which is about 50% of the time.

My truck and trailer both ride perfectly level with no sag at these weights and the rig stops as expected carrying this load, not too bad. The only issue I have with this adjustment or configuration when running everything level is when I go to the bush to camp. I only have about 2" of clearance between my truck box and my trailer ( fifth wheel) so when I go to the bush I jack my hitch up one setting to give me the off-road clearance required so I don't damage my truck and trailer. Good thing I watch these things because I had the to adjust the first time I set it up this way. At that point I un hitched and made the adjustment so I could reach my destination.

If I ever go to bc where they are more sticky about this I'll cut the bells and whistles to remain at my legal load limit, other wise I'm comfortable being a hair over and besides my family usually always takes our other vehicle jammed with even more stuff 👍
Old 03-29-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs123 View Post
Proper weight distributio hitch and proper truck loading (payload capacity).
Watch this video how to properly set up aweight distribution hitch
https://youtu.be/7731SkSgEqE
Great explanation of these systems, Thanks srs123, I hope it helps some people