Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2017, 07:11 PM

Default RV's- How close are you to maximum capacity with your truck

It's almost camping season, Lets see what you guys a pulling, My Truck 9100 lbs towing capacity, Trailer 4000 lbs dry weight, 5000 +lbs loaded. I travel full of water and no issues. When searching for a trailer I wanted to be close to half the maximum weight of the trailer as I could get with a fiberglass exterior. 2014 Silverado, Regular cab, Regular box. 2015 RV Cruiser 210uds, 21 feet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-04-08 19.53.20.jpg (41.0 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-04-08 19.54.09.jpg (35.6 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-06-23 12.27.56.jpg (98.7 KB, 206 views)
Old 03-26-2017, 07:16 PM

Towing capacity is only half the formula and usually not an issue. Payload is where many folks end up overloaded.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:17 PM

^^^ what he said. That's why 1/2 tons should be used for bumper pull trailers only, unless it's a super small 5iver
Old 03-26-2017, 07:23 PM

I realize that, mine is 400 lbs tongue weight, have seen 30 foot trailers with a side by side in the back of a F150. That is what had me thinking about guys set ups.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:01 PM

that's why I have a duelly rather have to much truck

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 03-26-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGFISH View Post
I realize that, mine is 400 lbs tongue weight, have seen 30 foot trailers with a side by side in the back of a F150. That is what had me thinking about guys set ups.
With 2 full propane tanks and a trailer full of stuff you may be over 400 tongue.... Load up the truck with a family of 4 and a full gas tank.....a box with all the camping stuff and your probably close to overweight.
That's why I run a 1 ton diesel to pull my ''1/2 ton towable'' 30' trailer.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
With 2 full propane tanks and a trailer full of stuff you may be over 400 tongue.... Load up the truck with a family of 4 and a full gas tank.....a box with all the camping stuff and your probably close to overweight.
That's why I run a 1 ton diesel to pull my ''1/2 ton towable'' 30' trailer.
2 people in the regular cab, relocated battery and 20 lb bottles I don't think so.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:42 PM

I have been pulling a 32 foot trailer for the last 4 years with my 1500 Sierra.

Normal loaded weight of the trailer is about 8500 lbs.

It is rated for 1818 lbs payload and I have not had one issue.

Proper weight distribution of the trailer and WD hitch setup is key.

I have had it loaded up within 200 lbs of max payload with no issues.

Last edited by Buckhead; 03-26-2017 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:47 PM

2014 Ram 1500, and a 26ft toy hauler dry weight 5100lbs.

I've hauled with a quad in the trailer plus water and all gear with no issues or lack of power. Also hauled it to Kelowna with two big motorcycles in it, was great. Average when hauling is usually around 24 litres/100km (truck averages 11-13 when not hauling)

After the pic was taken, I had Standens install the heavy duty rear coils as it did sink my back end quite a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2017, 08:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedCaper View Post

I've hauled with a quad in the trailer plus water and all gear with no issues or lack of power. Also hauled it to Kelowna with two big motorcycles in it, was great. Average when hauling is usually around 24 litres/100km (truck averages 11-13 when not hauling)

After the pic was taken, I had Standens install the heavy duty rear coils as it did sink my back end quite a bit.

I have the same truck, i put air bags in mine,
Old 03-26-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
2 people in the regular cab, relocated battery and 20 lb bottles I don't think so.
ya your truck probably has a better payload than a similar truck in a crewcab or longbox
Old 03-26-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
I have the same truck, i put air bags in mine,

Nice! I remember when I did it, an airbag set up was about the same cost. I can't remember why I was swayed to the HD coils. But no regrets.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:

You've hauled it with no issues...... get pulled into the scales as you enter BC and you might find you could have an issue.
I haven't seen it myself but I've heard that BC is starting to clamp down on overweight RV'ers
Heavy duty springs definitely would help to keep it level and improve ride when loaded but it does not increase payload
Old 03-26-2017, 09:08 PM

I built this truck 5 years ago or so.
Thre are not to many vehicles out there that are not over weight towing.
Yes it may be a little over kill as they say. But nver have to white knuckle it ever. Has lots of power, and is the most econimcal solution to buying a truck.
I usually put 20,000 km on it every year. And its so much nicer do drive than a pick up.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyenne 1 View Post
Yes it may be a little over kill as they say. But nver have to white knuckle it ever. Has lots of power, and is the most econimcal solution to buying a truck.
I usually put 20,000 km on it every year. And its so much nicer do drive than a pick up.

That's sweet, your right way nicer that a pick-up if towing a big trailer.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:12 PM
Banned

My camping rig. If it doesn't fit in the back seat and trunk, i'll do without

Old 03-26-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:

Ya you pulled it fine. Biggest thing is when you have to stop your overloaded outfit. I honestly think there should be a drivers licence people need to earn before you are allowed to pull an rv. The rest of us have to earn a different licence to drive tractor trailer outfits. A lot of the same rules apply.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
Ya you pulled it fine. Biggest thing is when you have to stop your overloaded outfit. I honestly think there should be a drivers licence people need to earn before you are allowed to pull an rv. The rest of us have to earn a different licence to drive tractor trailer outfits. A lot of the same rules apply.
And of course you are using nothing but the tractor brakes to do the stopping??

A properly setup brake system is a no brainer in any towing situation.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2017, 09:29 PM

I still have lots of payload and towing capacity with my GMC 1500 (using about 75% of rated), but I can sure feel the trailer. A bigger truck is definitely the way to go. Put air bags in, and they help, but it's not a replacement for a 3/4 ton.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:

JEEBUS and I thought I was good to go with my beefed up F350!!
You win!!
Cat
Old 03-26-2017, 09:36 PM

I drive a 42 ft Diesel Motorhome that weighs 35000 lbs loaded and full air brake system. In the BC mountains I see huge triple axle 5th wheels pulled by these tiny 3/4 ton trucks passing me both up and down the grades in a rush to be there first. There comes a time when these units will need to use their tiny little brakes to avoid a situation. Good luck to them I say.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thats what trailer brakes are for,, that rig is not over what the truck is rated for. There is no way he has 3000 lbs loaded into the trailer]. And thats assuming the trailer is 7000 lbs and it certainly should not be that. There should also be a test to post sometimes, there's a ton of you truckers out there that aren't qualified to drive a stick up a dead dogs butt, so hop off your high horse, he has done nothing wrong and is well under his vehicles rating and the springs are just to improve weight dispersion.

Last edited by Xbolt7mm; 03-26-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
It's almost camping season, Lets see what you guys a pulling, My Truck 9100 lbs towing capacity, Trailer 4000 lbs dry weight, 5000 +lbs loaded. I travel full of water and no issues. When searching for a trailer I wanted to be close to half the maximum weight of the trailer as I could get with a fiberglass exterior. 2014 Silverado, Regular cab, Regular box. 2015 RV Cruiser 210uds, 21 feet.
We have pretty much the same trailer, but ours is a shadow cruiser by cruiser rv

I tow it with a jeep grand Cherokee diesel. its a perfect combination.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:46 PM
Banned

Quote:

excellent.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:50 PM

Air bags are not aired up in this pic
Cat
Old 03-26-2017, 10:21 PM

Remember towing weight means not much. If you are towing safely minimum recommended is about 15 per cent minimum should be your tongue weight for safe towing. For your vehicles weight tongue weight plus people, the dog, firewood, and all the other stuff adds up. Add all the air bags and leaf springs you want but if you get pulled over especially in BC and they weigh your truck and trailer all weights are based on truck factory sticker not on your upgrades. I have seen and had friends tell me about leaving their trailer on the hieay unloading the truck then picking it up later. On top of that over weight ticket to boot.
Just sayin get the right tool for the job or take the chance of a fine or a bummer of vacation no matter how much you try to beef up a truck that is really not designed for that weight and god forbid you cause a wreck because of being over and make someone else suffer the consequences.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Thats what trailer brakes are for,, that rig is not over what the truck is rated for. There is no way he has 3000 lbs loaded into the trailer]. And thats assuming the trailer is 7000 lbs and it certainly should not be that. There should also be a test to post sometimes, there's a ton of you truckers out there that aren't qualified to drive a stick up a dead dogs butt, so hop off your high horse, he has done nothing wrong and is well under his vehicles rating and the springs are just to improve weight dispersion.
Weigh the axles and you will see what I mean by being overloaded. Just because a vehicle is rated to tow 9100lbs does not mean it can legally pull any trailer as long as it weighs under 9100lbs. Axles have weight limits.

Not a super trucker as you eluded too. I'm just a dumb farmer who has to truck his own grain to town. Owned a few holiday trailers and pickups along the way. Stop on a scale sometime with your half ton rv combo and weigh the trucks rear axle. You will be in for a surprise.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:52 PM

One of the big things in towing is alway weight distribution. As well as proper brake set up.
One thing no one ever takes into account is the weather!!! Be as set up as you want and get into some wind and a lot of rigs are 2 handers.
Thats why I built mine. My trailer is 38 feet and pretty heavy. I used to pull it with an F-350, which pulled it fine. Wind and stopping are way different.
Personally I would never pull a trailer with my truck if I had to figure out if it was capable of it.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:06 AM

Also remember to check your tire/rim ratings as you can overload them as well.