Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2017, 07:03 PM
Gone Hunting

Default How/where to buy a new car?

There have need many threads here over the years regarding buying cars. I'm sure some of you saw this recent CTV hidden camera W5 story.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/some-car-de...rvey-1.3329678

With only 3 Calgary dealers passing inspection how on earth do you buy a new vehicle?

My wife would like to trade, or buy, a new AWD mid size SUV, I think she is leaning toward something GM or maybe Asian.

She has a low mileage 6 year old Ford Escape to either trade or sell.

Does anyone have any constructive ideas on the best way to proceed and avoid the pitfalls!
Old 03-26-2017, 07:10 PM

Sell the Escape privately, you'll likely only lose on a trade with a dealership.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kens View Post
There have need many threads here over the years regarding buying cars. I'm sure some of you saw this recent CTV hidden camera W5 story.

With only 3 Calgary dealers passing inspection how on earth do you buy a new vehicle?

My wife would like to trade, or buy, a new AWD mid size SUV, I think she is leaning toward something GM or maybe Asian.

Does anyone have any constructive ideas on the best way to proceed and avoid the pitfalls!
Avoid Calgary Stealerships totally.Find what you want in Edmonton and then start making a deal.Buying a new vehicle in Calgary at any Stealership you are treated like they are doing you a favour by selling you a brand new vehicle.Edmonton dealerships bend over backwards for your business and they wont nickle and dime you for stuff like a block heater that was installed at the factory for the dealer to upsell/gouge.

Just my experience.

FTH
Old 03-26-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by From The Hip View Post
Avoid Calgary Stealerships totally.Find what you want in Edmonton and then start making a deal.Buying a new vehicle in Calgary at any Stealership you are treated like they are doing you a favour by selling you a brand new vehicle.Edmonton dealerships bend over backwards for your business and they wont nickle and dime you for stuff like a block heater that was installed at the factory for the dealer to upsell/gouge.

Just my experience.

FTH
Well that does it, I'll buy my vehicles in Edmonton because you said so
Old 03-26-2017, 07:32 PM

Auto mile in Wetaskiwin has a reputation for the cheapest cars in Alberta. There are several dealerships all along a one mile stretch.

Maybe wear a jacket that has 'W5' or "Marketplace"embroidered on the sleeve when shopping and dealing.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-26-2017, 07:36 PM

I've been going to Go Nissan North in Edmonton for few years. I bought few cars from there and I recommend my friends and co-workers. I like they don't have hidden fees and go over every details.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:42 PM

Car Cost Canada. No haggle 3% over invoice including rebates.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcmax05 View Post
Well that does it, I'll buy my vehicles in Edmonton because you said so
I wanted a brand new Hyundai Accent hatchback in 2012 and EVERY dealership in Calgary told me the block heater/flat repair warranty and the laser etched security package along with the mudflaps were "dealership" installed and there was no way they could offer and leeway on them and all told they added $2800.

I called up a Hyundai dealer in Edmonton and they got me the car I wanted in the color of my choice in the trim level I wanted.I said said I would not pay for any of the "mandatory" dealership installed items and at the same time I demanded a block heater as it is a vehicle sold in Canada and it is needed.

My terms were agreed to and I hopped on a bus and went to Edmonton where I was picked up by the salesman and then shown my car.As soon as I saw the car I noticed it had the mudflaps and I said I did not want them and I was they were thrown in for free.I skipped the test drive and got to the paperwork.After a few questions I said bluntly "I dont want anything that adds to the cost of the car" and things got going quickly then.I drove off the lot and started my journey back to Calgary upon getting on the QE2 I noticed the stop sign shaped decal on the passenger window that indicates the "laser etched security package".Now why did I get that as well as the mudflaps and the block heater....I got them because they are done at the factory and it is a way for the dealership to upsell them.In Edmonton they accepted that I would not pay for factory installed items and I refused to be up charged.In Calgary at EVERY Hyundai dealership they were inflexible and I HAD to pay for them.

All told it was $2800 in factory installed standard items.Dealership in Calgary insists I have to pay and the dealership in Edmonton did not and were happy to sell me a car.

Is that black and white enough for you?

FTH
Old 03-26-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by From The Hip View Post
I wanted a brand new Hyundai Accent hatchback in 2012 and EVERY dealership in Calgary told me the block heater/flat repair warranty and the laser etched security package along with the mudflaps were "dealership" installed and there was no way they could offer and leeway on them and all told they added $2800.

I called up a Hyundai dealer in Edmonton and they got me the car I wanted in the color of my choice in the trim level I wanted.I said said I would not pay for any of the "mandatory" dealership installed items and at the same time I demanded a block heater as it is a vehicle sold in Canada and it is needed.

My terms were agreed to and I hopped on a bus and went to Edmonton where I was picked up by the salesman and then shown my car.As soon as I saw the car I noticed it had the mudflaps and I said I did not want them and I was they were thrown in for free.I skipped the test drive and got to the paperwork.After a few questions I said bluntly "I dont want anything that adds to the cost of the car" and things got going quickly then.I drove off the lot and started my journey back to Calgary upon getting on the QE2 I noticed the stop sign shaped decal on the passenger window that indicates the "laser etched security package".Now why did I get that as well as the mudflaps and the block heater....I got them because they are done at the factory and it is a way for the dealership to upsell them.In Edmonton they accepted that I would not pay for factory installed items and I refused to be up charged.In Calgary at EVERY Hyundai dealership they were inflexible and I HAD to pay for them.

All told it was $2800 in factory installed standard items.Dealership in Calgary insists I have to pay and the dealership in Edmonton did not and were happy to sell me a car.

Is that black and white enough for you?

FTH
Old 03-26-2017, 09:12 PM

unHaggle
Old 03-26-2017, 09:49 PM

Last year we needed a new to us vehicle wife wanted the Mazda cx5 looked on line at all Alberta dealerships, found one in Leduc, I offered them what I wanted to pay and not a cent more, no registration fees no gst or other BS fees they like to add on.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:

Talk to Keith Duckett at Village Honda. I worked a deal with him, 100% by email, for a new Honda Accord for my mom. When she got there, it had upsized 19" wheels from the Touring trim level. He looked at them and said, "Huh - I guess you're getting a free wheel and tire upgrade" and that was that.

The local Edmonton dealership told me that they couldn't even come close on the price of the car.

Keith later sent me a $25 Starbucks card as a thank-you for entrusting my Mom's vehicle purchase to him, at a distance, sight unseen. Great guy, completely honest, very well respected in the online community (and obviously "real life" people).

He can hook you up with a Honda CR-V, if you're interested in a mid-size SUV, or with a Pilot if you want something bigger.

PM me for my real name, if you want a referral name...
Old 03-27-2017, 02:09 PM

I've been through the Ford, GM and Toyota Dealerships in the High River Okotoks area and after the ordeal, I decided the two vehicles I have will have to do. There are probably some good salesmen out there, but they are few and far between. For me, the stress in making a car deal ranks right up there with real estate stress and making funeral arrangements.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:46 PM

Default try Kijiji for resale

Quote:

I'd try and sell that escape privately. Look on Kijiji to see what others are asking in similar condition and year. If you trade it in you'll get next to nothing so it. Those toyota highlanders are nice.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:55 PM

I would recommend selling your escape privately for the same reasons as others have said.

As for buying a new vehicle, I can only share my experience. My brother and I wanted to purchase new pickups this past summer so we shopped around at dealerships and on kijiji. Found a 2016 sierra denali at the dealership and mrsp was close to $70000. Went on kijiji and found the same truck used with 4000km and the guy had it listed for $59000. We spoke to him over the phone and he said he wouldn't go lower than 56000. We took that number back to the dealer and showed him it was the same truck but only 4000km and if he could match it, then we will buy from him, if not, then we will go pick up the used one. He said wait a second, came back and said 56,900. We said that's fine. Done deal.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:15 PM

Keep in mind, most vehicles have a lot of markup. You should safely be able to shave 20-30% off MSRP and the dealer still makes money.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:51 PM
Banned

no they dont. Thats hilarious
Old 03-27-2017, 07:28 PM

At least 20%
Old 03-27-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
Last year we needed a new to us vehicle wife wanted the Mazda cx5 looked on line at all Alberta dealerships, found one in Leduc, I offered them what I wanted to pay and not a cent more, no registration fees no gst or other BS fees they like to add on.

You're paying the gst one way or another on a new vehicle. No way around it.

If it didn't show as gst on the final billing you can bet the dealership stayed 5% above their bottom line.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:57 PM

Seems like every paper I read these days has new ford trucks down $12000.00 to $15,000. These happen every year. They are not take a loss sales. The dealership always makes money. If you make a low ball offer and they accept it, your offer was within their make money range.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:04 PM

20-30% Markup?

hahahaha
Some maybe close but definitely not all makes and models.

Anyways, I've bought a few vehicles from Cam Clark Ford in Airdrie. I could go into my long long stories about how much I've been ****ed over by dealerships but this place has bent over backwards for me on numerous occasions and I always left feeling I got a deal. Doing a lot of my own research and shopping around I always felt like I underpaid and was over delivered. I've owned a number of brands foreign and domestic and this place has always looked after me during and well past the sale. I have a great salesman if you want.

To each their own however. Some folks are brand loyal. I was, Gie hard german, but after my last experience I will never spend a dime there again.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Seems like every paper I read these days has new ford trucks down $12000.00 to $15,000. These happen every year. They are not take a loss sales. The dealership always makes money. If you make a low ball offer and they accept it, your offer was within their make money range.
That's true. But you feel better about yourself.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:11 PM

If your looking for a new car and thats what you want great! I see no issue buying new if you can afford it. If you are selling a car definetly do it privatly. As for finding a dealer ship just do your research. Phone in and talk, read reviews, walk in and get a feel for the sales people. Cross compare everyone and look in any nearby city your willing to go to. Also be affermative do your research and know what you want and more importantly what feature you will not get or pay for.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:26 PM

What I find offensive about some dealerships is that they often mean mouth other dealerships and some sales people often mean mouth others in their own dealership. They seem to be in a rat eat rat business.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
What I find offensive about some dealerships is that they often mean mouth other dealerships and some sales people often mean mouth others in their own dealership. They seem to be in a rat eat rat business.
A good salesman never bashes the competition. I walk immediately when they start that ****. They're not confident enough in themselves or their product that they have to stoop to bashing the competition. Worst thing a salesman can do other than assaulting me or not listening to what I'm saying.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
You're paying the gst one way or another on a new vehicle. No way around it.

If it didn't show as gst on the final billing you can bet the dealership stayed 5% above their bottom line.
thats not true. Status indians dont have to pay gst on a new car
Old 03-28-2017, 12:08 AM

Don't go to city Ford those guys will never get my business ever and I do my best to let everyone not to go there.

When I was a around 21 years old went there to test drive a used truck. Talked to the salesman he said sure just need to see my drivers license, he had to take it to show his manager. Anyways I was excited to take the truck for a spin. So off we go for a drive. It was a nice truck. So we go inside after the drive to talk numbers. We sit down and start getting a deal going. I got them the lowest they would go on the price. I then told him I needed to think about it and had another truck to go look also. So I said I wanted my license back then he says no! I asked what he meant no? He said if I buy the truck he will give me my license back. I kinda laughed it off and said give me my f-ing license. He said no and wouldn't give it back. Told him to go get his manager, the manager says the same thing! The two of them would not give or tell me where my license was until I signed the papers for the truck. At this time I was mad! I said ok but first I need to use the phone, so they have me the phone and I called the rcmp and reported my identification stolen. The cops had to walk into the dealer before they gave it to as they didn't believe me I called the cops! Sorry for the long story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2017, 05:32 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

List it, sell it for fair market value, then search out a vehicle she or you wish to purchase.
Easy to do don't have to get into the trade in rip off crap.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-28-2017, 10:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post
Don't go to city Ford those guys will never get my business ever and I do my best to let everyone not to go there.

When I was a around 21 years old went there to test drive a used truck. Talked to the salesman he said sure just need to see my drivers license, he had to take it to show his manager. Anyways I was excited to take the truck for a spin. So off we go for a drive. It was a nice truck. So we go inside after the drive to talk numbers. We sit down and start getting a deal going. I got them the lowest they would go on the price. I then told him I needed to think about it and had another truck to go look also. So I said I wanted my license back then he says no! I asked what he meant no? He said if I buy the truck he will give me my license back. I kinda laughed it off and said give me my f-ing license. He said no and wouldn't give it back. Told him to go get his manager, the manager says the same thing! The two of them would not give or tell me where my license was until I signed the papers for the truck. At this time I was mad! I said ok but first I need to use the phone, so they have me the phone and I called the rcmp and reported my identification stolen. The cops had to walk into the dealer before they gave it to as they didn't believe me I called the cops! Sorry for the long story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow, I've heard some sketchy stories about City, but that's right up there.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:29 AM

I bought a car from south town hyundai in edmonton and had a great experience. Probably my best experience with any dealership. Dealt directly with Mike Ryan and Colin Baker over the phone.

Some things to remember when making the deal:

1) Dont get emotionally attached to the vehicle. Keep your leverage, theres lots of vehicles out there you dont need one in particular.
2) Look for year old new models that are still on the lots. Youll often get a better deal on these.
3) When dealing with price, deal with the all in price. I dont want any surprises when it comes to signing the documents. Stay away from buying according to your payment. Thats how they take advantage of you.
4) Dont put a deposit down unless youre ordering one in. For a car on a lot I dont put a deposit down. I work out a deal and tell them Ill come pick it up in less then a week. The car most of the time has been sitting there 3-6 months by the time I buy it. If they dont trust me enough to come pick up the car in a few days, then they must not want to sell it very bad.

When it comes to tactics they do a few things.

1) When you show up to sign they make you wait. Its very effective. I tell my dealerships I wont be waiting longer then 10 minutes to sign the documents. So they better be ready when I get there. If theyre not ready I leave. People need to respect your time.
2) They use the guilty sales tactic. Basically tell you that everyone worked so hard on the deal, to try and guilt trip you into signing. Dont let them use it against you. Its their job to do these things.

Good luck with your search and hope these tips help you out.